March 29, 2024, 01:06:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Your Top 10 albums of 2013  (Read 6064 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Your Top 10 albums of 2013
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. I went through a huge 70s phase and am currently going through an 80s phase that overlaps a bit with 90s stuff. I enjoy keeping up with good music, though. I'd recommend finding a music publication of your choice and getting news and reading reviews from them.

Offline Callesthe

• On a quest to conquer all man-anuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
The music I listen to isn't really cathegorized in time periods though XD Most of the genres/bands aren't as active as they used to. It will be hard finding one music publication. I listen to a lot but the majority is gone underground at the moment :/

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
The point of finding music publications would be to be introduced to new music, genres, artists, etc.

I'm curious, though. Which genres (that have gone underground) would you be referring to?

Offline revivedlikejesus

• Didn't take ME 3 days.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
*censored* m8. I had my post all typed out, just needed to recheck some stuff, but I closed the tab somehow and forgot all about it. It's lost :c

welp.

trying again.

@pai and Eve

Just don't follow the p4k.  (:

She's probably referring to post-melodic noise hardjazz-core. Couldn't find it even if I tried nowadays.

Gud list btw Pai. Don't know about #1 Vampire Weekend tho...(and RAM is overrated  :thumbsup: )

Anyhow, my top albums.
I couldn't decide on a top 10. So now it are 18 releases. It even has some EP's. Ha.

• Foxing - The Albatross
  • The Front Bottoms - Talon Of The Hawk
  • Rin Tosite Sigure - i'mperfect *
  • Radwimps - X????? *
  • Camping in Alaska - please be nice
  • Atlas At Last - Atlas At Last
  • HaKU - Wonderland *
  • Tiny Moving Parts - This Couch is Long & Full of Friendship
  • The World is a Beautiful Place & I am no Longer Afraid to Die - Whenever, If Ever
  • Dowsing - I Don't Even Care Anymore
  • Free Throw - Lavender Town
  • Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
  • Wakusei Abnormal - Nandemonai Kyouki *
  • Death Grips - Government Plates
  • illion - UBU *
  • Gesu no Kiwami Otome - Odorenai nara, Gesu ni Natte Shimaeyo *
  • Wakusei Abnormal - Anata Sonata *
  • Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Nanda Collection *

The one's I bolded are pretty accessible, so anyone can try them out if they are interested. The asterisks are behind Japanese releases.

pls die for your own sins

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Sorry about the post dude. My MR account has a habit of timing out even when I remove the time limit, so I have a habit of copying my posts or writing them in word documents.

Nice list to you too, revived. Plenty of stuff I haven't explored, and, as I know from sampling it, stuff I will enjoy exploring.

Pitchfork is not as bad as its reputation suggests. But again, music publication of your choice. P4k has certainly written pretty bad reviews about albums that I love (Midlake's "Courage of Others"), and good reviews about albums that I hate (Yeezus), but I find their news section quite helpful, and, more often than not, the albums they rate highly are worth checking out, even if their reviews are laced with pseudo-logic, and a fair amount of their followers minds with honey (although most people I've met who follow Pitchfork don't like their reviews either).

I would like to mention Savages' Silence Yourself. I have not listened to it in its entirety yet, but the stuff I have heard is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dac4m2e9u2c

Offline revivedlikejesus

• Didn't take ME 3 days.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
Sorry about the post dude. My MR account has a habit of timing out even when I remove the time limit, so I have a habit of copying my posts or writing them in word documents.

Nice list to you too, revived. Plenty of stuff I haven't explored, and, as I know from sampling it, stuff I will enjoy exploring.

Pitchfork is not as bad as its reputation suggests. But again, music publication of your choice. P4k has certainly written pretty bad reviews about albums that I love (Midlake's "Courage of Others"), and good reviews about albums that I hate (Yeezus), but I find their news section quite helpful, and, more often than not, the albums they rate highly are worth checking out, even if their reviews are laced with pseudo-logic, and a fair amount of their followers minds with honey (although most people I've met who follow Pitchfork don't like their reviews either).

I would like to mention Savages' Silence Yourself. I have not listened to it in its entirety yet, but the stuff I have heard is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dac4m2e9u2c

I guess it would at least be an income of information. (Pitchfork) But I don't know, I also don't like the fact they are so heavily influenced by the stupidest things. And the fact they are not a good source for Japanese stuff. For example, the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu album I mentioned on nr.18 was only reviewed because it got hyped. Theneedledrop reviewed it as a good album and so they got on it. It's not an album I would imagine p4k reviewing though. :\

That link somehow reminded me of Big Black's Bad Penny. Pretty gud.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't suggest it for Japanese releases. Although I wouldn't know where to go for that kind of thing. Any suggestions?

And I do like me some Big Black.

Offline Callesthe

• On a quest to conquer all man-anuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
@paipis:

Shoegaze
Dreampop
Industrial
EBM
New age
Epic/Trailer music
Chiptune
Goa trance
Triphop
Instrumental hiphop

To name a few. I also listen some of the more 'mainstream' genres such as alternative, math rock, experimental rock/electronics, and sometimes even pop, dubstep, chillstep, punk rock, and a list of metal subgenres etc.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
Hmm. I see what you mean. A lot of those genres hit their peak in the 90s and are slowly winding down. You might have listened to them already, but have you tried Beach House?

Offline revivedlikejesus

• Didn't take ME 3 days.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »
@paipis:

Shoegaze
Dreampop
Industrial
EBM
New age
Epic/Trailer music
Chiptune
Goa trance
Triphop
Instrumental hiphop

To name a few. I also listen some of the more 'mainstream' genres such as alternative, math rock, experimental rock/electronics, and sometimes even pop, dubstep, chillstep, punk rock, and a list of metal subgenres etc.

Japanese Shoegaze > Western Shoegaze
trust me on this one.
(This actually applies to math rock too, just trust me)

Try Kinoko Teikoku, Bertoia, Tokyo Shoegazer and Shinsei Kamatte-chan

Good ways to find music you might like is making a Last.fm or Rateyourmusic account. They will give you automatic recommendations based on the music you listen to, the community on there can also recommend you music.

If you think you know your taste pretty well, you can also try to find blogs based on some genre's.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest it for Japanese releases. Although I wouldn't know where to go for that kind of thing. Any suggestions?

And I do like me some Big Black.

umm, there are some blogs I frequent for japanese stuff.
j-mp3.info - is the most active I frequent(updated almost daily), though that is like, a lot of the japanese releases. Including idol stuff and other releases you might not want to bother with.
japshare.wordpress.com - this guy knows what he's talking about though. Hasn't been active for a long while, but some good stuff is available.

But I think the best way to explore is just asking others or checking last.fm. last.fm has a pretty good recommendation system, plus the related artists on an artists' page are pretty close.