February 24, 2024, 08:16:05 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!  (Read 23321 times)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
Re: Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
I will join.
You said these have to be original; I assume that means drawn from imagination. We are still allowed to do studies of anatomy and reference, yes?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:22:13 PM by Ryan »

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »
I've started working on characters all ready so I will have more time to work on the name, though this is a bit of a gamble since characters would have to fit the type of battle  :-\
So far I have a badass looking gangster with lots of scars, though the name I'm shooting for is quite controversal so I'll probably comeuup with a new one :/
Secondly, I have a rough idea of a vampire that I drew at random in class today :push:

I'm pretty slow when it comes to character develop, though that could be because I always aim at creating a character that is very unique and when it comes to naming them I try formulating something poetic in nature  ::)

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:51 PM »
@jack: you're in! And yeah, max pages drawn is 2. Hmm backgrounds aren't the main focus here, the artist will be judged based on the panneling method, poses, correct anatomy, and overall flow of the action.

@keilanify: Hmmm well you could I guess.. But Takeo took the writer spot.. I guess the first one to post a battle scene is the writer

@Ryan: By original I meant that you're not allowed to look at a manga page from One Piece and copy the pose or the action for example. You have to come up with your own poses and your own perspective shots ( bird's eye view, worm's eye, etc...). Not sure what you mean by looking at anatomy studiess.. If you're not copying anything, just studying, then its ok I guess.

@kagepen: haha well good luck. And yeah they have to fit the battle scene. There's even a possibility of the fighters being girls, it all depends on the writer's choice

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
@jack: you're in! And yeah, max pages drawn is 2. Hmm backgrounds aren't the main focus here, the artist will be judged based on the panneling method, poses, correct anatomy, and overall flow of the action.

@keilanify: Hmmm well you could I guess.. But Takeo took the writer spot.. I guess the first one to post a battle scene is the writer

@Ryan: By original I meant that you're not allowed to look at a manga page from One Piece and copy the pose or the action for example. You have to come up with your own poses and your own perspective shots ( bird's eye view, worm's eye, etc...). Not sure what you mean by looking at anatomy studiess.. If you're not copying anything, just studying, then its ok I guess.

@kagepen: haha well good luck. And yeah they have to fit the battle scene. There's even a possibility of the fighters being girls, it all depends on the writer's choice

Say, for example, I draw a pose that involves muscle contractions/insertions/appearances that I am not familiar with. I would be able to simplify the figure into some basic forms, but to complete the figure I would need to have an understanding of some of the anatomy at play. I would consult an anatomy manual, and pick up reference for the action. Then, I would draw my references, analyze them, try to build anatomy on top of it. Lastly, I would try to draw from imagination what it is I've learned. And of course let's not forget, at the end, I'd draw the figure in the panel.

This turns the opportunity into a learning experience. It is not unusual for illustrators or comic artists to study something they do not understand in order to finish a piece of art. So, my question to you is, must we finish something with the knowledge we possess before starting the pages? Or are we allowed to learn, and obtain knowledge to aid us throughout the creation process?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:49:57 PM by Ryan »

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 12:05:11 AM »
Mind if I join?
Sounds rather interesting.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
@Ryan: if there's one thing I learned here, its that endlessly studying anatomy will really take a lot of time. If you don't venture and draw things you have yet to learn, you won't improve. I know that proffesional mangakas tend to use reference a lot, but the point of this workshop is to test our current knowledge without any help. There is no prize for the winner so even if you're not the best, its okay, you will still learn and people will point out your mistakes. I mean Aldrich is here in the workshop, we all know he's gonna have the best drawings haha.

@Zealapeal: cool you're in!

Offline FlossAndChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
Woot~ This looks super fun!
I wish to participate as an artist!

@DBNext
Is this going to be an ongoing workshop right? It sounds like it could be a weekly contest.
There are a couple writers who want to participate. Maybe you could make a Writers Que? That way the contest can keep going smoothly without a frantic scramble for a writer.
For example:
First- Takeo
On que- Keilanify
Next in line- nairbons
Next- ...?

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
Hehe I'm gonna be facing off against my two favorite artists ! :noidea: DB-san Flossy-chan :ninja: YOSHA!

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Count me in as another writer.

Offline Takeo

• That One Asian DJ
  • Yo! What's Happenin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
Okay, so, when do we plan on getting started with all this? I can get right into it once everyone is ready, just say when, and I'll get started.

EDIT: Never mind, I answered my own question at the first topic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:34:13 PM by Takeo »

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
Floss, great idea!
Okay i'll add that to the first topic. Also added you

Okay so, first challenge, the writer will be TAKEO.
Takeo you can post the scene whenever you want. Once its posted, there will be 2 more days for people to join. Once 2 days are over, the drawings will start and we will have 5 days to submit.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:33:18 PM by DBNext »

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
@Ryan: if there's one thing I learned here, its that endlessly studying anatomy will really take a lot of time. If you don't venture and draw things you have yet to learn, you won't improve. I know that proffesional mangakas tend to use reference a lot, but the point of this workshop is to test our current knowledge without any help. There is no prize for the winner so even if you're not the best, its okay, you will still learn and people will point out your mistakes. I mean Aldrich is here in the workshop, we all know he's gonna have the best drawings haha.

@Zealapeal: cool you're in!

Fair enough, I suppose I'll do my studies after the fact.  :hmm:

Offline Takeo

• That One Asian DJ
  • Yo! What's Happenin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:22 AM »
Alright. As per the conditions, I'll keep it vague enough to give plenty of creative freedom and liberty to the artists. I'm going to go with a modern everyday type of setting. To make it easier, no weapons other than everyday objects would be used. Other than that, do what you want.

For sake of simplicity, "Person A" will be referred to "Alpha" and "Person B" will be referred to as "Bravo" (as per the NATO Phonetic Alphabet standard, if you're wondering. Army habits die hard).

Finally, this won't work properly without a setting: a Hallway Corridor

Start Scene.

Bravo is walking through a corridor with a fresh hot cup of tea. Alpha bursts through a door with a weapon and lunges at Bravo. Bravo dodges and splashes the hot tea at Alpha and disarms Alpha. Alpha replies by throwing a knee at Bravo but misses and smashes the wall or similar object. Bravo grabs a glass object (like a fluorescent light tube) swings and misses. Alpha replies by grabbing a fluorescent light tube and smashes it into Bravo. Bravo pushes Alpha back through a door. Alpha slams the door on Bravo several times. Alpha pushes back Bravo and approaches Bravo, but Bravo slams door on Alpha's head, grabs Alpha's original weapon, and brutally kills Alpha with it.

End Scene.

So, I think that's just the right length, or possibly may be too long to fit on two pages. If that's the case, then I'll revise it if necessary. Be as clean or brutal as you want. I decided to go modern with this one because there isn't a lot of action manga that takes place in a modern setting. So, HAVE AT YE!

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:51 AM »
YOSH! I'll start the name now, if it doesn't fit two pages.
 Some Q's: Is ok if I change some things e.g. what bravo is carrying in beginning  :ninja:

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 05:47:04 AM »
Ok... so here's mine...err name??... It's about 5 pages though... was about to go for six but to lazy to do so for now...

PLEASE READ FROM LEFT to RIGHT

Ive actually estimated the whole scene to be atleast 10 pages but this will do for now right?

Im also confused with this part: "Alpha slams the door on Bravo several times. Alpha pushes back Bravo and approaches Bravo, but Bravo slams door on Alpha's head.." Um can anyone explain wut happened in this part?