February 21, 2024, 07:22:54 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!  (Read 23253 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Practice for both ARTISTS and WRITERS!!
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone else is still doing this workshop, but here's a scene:

Alpha and Beta are connected by index finger with a Chinese finger trap. Beta attempts to roundhouse kick Alpha’s head. Alpha dodges by pulling his head back. Beta’s leg lands on his own wrist, pushing it down and pulling Alpha towards him. Alpha collides with him, thus releasing the trap, and Beta falls over but Alpha catches himself, nearly falling, but regaining his balance. He gives a look of smug satisfaction. Beta, propping himself up with his skinned elbows, gives Alpha a fierce kick in the groin. Alpha staggers backwards, doubles over, and falls to his knees. “The rest is silence,” he says and falls to his face.

Offline FlossAndChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2013, 12:27:44 PM »
Ok! I will be participating!
I hope someone else does too! XP
-cough- -DBNext- -cough- -Roshon21- -AldrichCrescent- -cough -cough-

I think the deadline for Paipis' story will be on the 20th!

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
Crap i forgot this workshop existed!
Okay hopefully i can participate this time!

@Paipis: Uhm good work on the description, but isnt it a bit too detailed? Everyone's gonna have the same pannel layout this way, and the winner will be the one with the best drawings/anatomy ( Floss XD ). The purpose of the workshop is uniqueness and imagination.
We'll do a voting and see which writing style you guys prefer: Vague ( artist with best pannel layout and drawings wins ) or descriptive ( most skilled artist wins )

Offline FlossAndChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Huzzah! Another participant! ^.^

@ DBNext
I don't understand what you mean by:
"isnt it a bit too detailed? Everyone's gonna have the same pannel layout this way, and the winner will be the one with the best drawings/anatomy ( Floss XD ). The purpose of the workshop is uniqueness and imagination. "

Are you saying Paipis didn't write enough? Do you think there needs to be more fighting to give artists a wider choice of what they can draw?
Even if we all did the exact same scene, the execution, and panel layout/spacing would be different from person to person. One person might put more emphasis on Alpha, and another on Beta. The presentation of the same idea would be completely different.

Instead of restricting what writers can, or can't write, why not have artist level brackets?  Best of: Beginners; Intermediate; Professional, ect. That way people are not intimidated by the competition side of this workshop.

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2013, 02:43:27 AM »
I like the idea of level brackets, sounds more fair to hard workers. Ok we'll use that.
But what i meant was that he's writing too much, not leaving any sort of freedom to the artist.

"Beta attempts to roundhouse kick Alpha’s head. Alpha dodges by pulling his head back. Beta’s leg lands on his own wrist, pushing it down and pulling Alpha towards him"

^ i find this a bit too detailed. It would be better if he said something like " Alpha dodges and gains the upper hand in the fight". This is vague, so it gives the artist room to improvise. For example one artist might make Alpha dodge, grab a hammer or a pipe, whatever, and smash Beta's head. Or another artist might make Alpha dodge and kick the guy in the nuts.
The story and events and outcome would still be the same, but the road to it would differ greatly from one artist to another.
Well that's just my thought, im not saying we should do it, just explaining my point.
Its all up to you guys to decide

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
I understand your dilemma. At the same time, specificity is one of the things that makes good writing. If I'm vague about the actions, it's not really a great action sequence. The challenge that this one presents, as compared to the others, is that it's a chain of interrelated events. It was an experiment for me to write that kind of action sequence, and I needed to be specific. Anyways, there are a lot of other variables (character design, setting, panel distribution, etc.), and I think the scene gives a little bit more freedom than grasped at first read.

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
I'll start again on this next week :ninja: cuz I gotta do work experience thingy for school and my dad is gonna work me to the bone TT_TT But I'll be doing the workshop every time until I get my drawing supplies and start drawing FoTIT :biggrin:

Offline FlossAndChaos

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2013, 11:44:09 PM »
Paipis Panella's story:

I am happy to say I am getting a little bit faster at drawing these comic pages.
 However, I'm not satisfied with quality.
If I didn't have a deadline, I would spend a couple more hours adding speed lines, and tones. I guess next time I will have to budget my time better! XP

I'd really appreciate a critique on these pages! I'd like to hear some ideas on how to make my pages look more professional/polished. Any suggestions would be awesome! <3

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
Nice one, Floss! :thumbsup: I was worried the physics might not pan out how I imagined it, but it turned out great.

My only critique:
With just black ink and white page, it's sometimes difficult to tell what's going on. I would recommend using some grays. It tends to indicate color a bit more effectively.