March 29, 2024, 10:00:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How to write a review { Pointers }  (Read 21024 times)

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How to write a review { Pointers }
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:27:25 AM »
* This topic is mainly for Artists and reviewing about Drawings We can do one for writers to in writers section *

As Manga artists and writers forum everyone here to learn or improve their skills, at least most of our members. So everyone love to have lots of reviews on their drawings and stories. If you don't get reviews then here couple of things to do,

• Your Gallery topic is not getting reviews - If you haven't done any reviews in others topics usually this is what happen. Start reviewing others art before expect reviews for yours
  • Use signature to show your Gallery topic - Show your Gallery topic link in your signature. Don't let waste this important space. It will show your gallery topic in your every post. More people notice your Gallery as well as gallery will get more visits and reviews
  • I review people get mad or dislike those - Don't be aggresive/arrogant negative reviews. If you pointing out something bad then be friendly and nice also explain why u say so and how to fix it. Everyone sensitive about their art. So be nice.
  • Ask others to review yours - Don't spam. but when you give someone a good review its fine to ask them to check yours too. (Another reason why shouold keep the link in signature)
  • Be nice to those who review yours- If someone take time to write a review for you than thank the person even if its a negative review. Never be aggressive. Be nice and polite. Or those who see how you react would have second thoughts about reviewing our drawings
  • Choose your gallery title wisely - A good titile will attract people. Also remember this goes to Google search too. People come from search too. you can use your gallery link in other forums or  in other sites too.
  • Be Polite Be professional Be friendly - Its not just members see your drawings whole world see those. It doesn't matter your level of skills be polite and behave publishers look at these qualities too. If they want to hire someone they a team player who they can work with.

Ok if you do all that then you should be getting reviews from others. If you have no idea what to write as a good review there are some tips which you should think about.

How to write a Manga Drawing review

• Never say a bad thing about a drawing if you can't give a technical reason. Always give reason and if you can tell how to fix it. Be nice.
  • If you can't give technical advice then still you can tell which drawings you like most and why do you like those.
  • If you see something wrong then point it out nicely even if you don't know how to help with technical advice.
  • Compare with older drawings and tell about how they have progressed. Point how the persons drawings has improved and still need to be worked on.

So if you do all these then you will able to make a review at least couple of sentences long. At least tell something encouraging and nice if you can't be helpful. But I believe everyone can be helpful if they try bit harder.

Ask questions here and post if you can add anymore tips about reviewing.

:read:

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: How to write a review { Pointers }
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Many of those green points apply equally to writing a story review.

If you don't mind Hasith, I'd like tackling the sister topic for the writers section.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
Sure do that Coryn. That will save me reposing it there. Make necessary changed so it more suited for writers. But Both topics will  be useful for every member here so should look at both. Remember guys,

when is comes to comics,

Every writer is an Artist and very artist is a writer.

Unless you are with a big publisher who decide you should stick with one of these things. xD

I know many can argue about this but in early stage you have to get skilled in both. you might be not skill at one and better at other, still you need to do both.   ;)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:36:13 AM »
I'll be sure to tackle it in the morning then.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
true about artist and writer, ive had to start writing myself as i get to the drawing level of my comic, but now i need the writing to work out the story, absolutely true.

thankyou for the advice, i will try and keep this in mind when i post in future.

also if i can add what i think as well,
if you can see that they are a beginner, dont pick out stuff that is too hard to fix when there is something easier to do. this would also be not giving too much advice at the same time i think.

as an example, if their hand they drew on a character, the thumb looks a bit out, dont comment on that if the face is out of proportion or like the legs are too short kind of thing. better to fix that main problems first.

again thats only what i think, my opinion will always change in the light of better evidence.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:30:37 AM by suupertramp »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

P4

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
user retired
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:21:08 PM by P4 »

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »
Well, for one, I approach critiquing/reviewing beginners differently than people who already have some experience drawing or are really passionate, are drawing a lot, and really want to get better and everything they post in their sketchbooks screams that they are putting in loads of effort.

I like to think that there's a two-or-so month beginner period. It's a period where it's alright if you're doing things completely ass backwards or making completely blatant mistakes. But it's also important that the artist tries to learn from video tutorials, and learns how to learn to draw. As well as draw a lot, and look at a lot of art. Encouragement is also important, and small recommendations to the artist on how they can improve is also beneficial. It's really like the person's first taste of drawing. It's good if they learn to have fun drawing in this phase. Stay away from excessive nitpicking.

The reason I think this beginner phase is important is because knowledge you can find in books becomes more valuable to you if you go through this phase. At least that's what I think. You will appreciate the knowledge and insight you can learn from reading great books because they are solutions to the mistakes you made in the past.

One of the best things you can do for another artist is to tell them that the amount of effort they're putting in is dropping.
No matter what level the person is at, if you notice he/she is putting in less effort it is an absolutely powerful statement to tell them that you see this in their work. And if they're no longer innovating their work, or finding new ways to do things, tell them to try to do this. It doesn't even matter if you are able to recommend ways to do new things for them, just tell them to do it. And it doesn't even need to be technical-related. It can be subject matter related. Encouragement is powerful; we all need a kick in the ass every once in a while.

Try to say both good and bad things if you're reviewing somebody(if you decide to say anything negative at all). It really helps to point out both the good and bad things in somebody else's work. They will appreciate the review from you more.

Give technical critique if you're capable to fill the hole in the recipients knowledge. For example, telling somebody why the deltoids looks wrong or what the proportions really should look like of a human figure or a way they can fix all this. If you can't explain it, just say that "the deltoids look wrong or weird." Chances are they will be able to sufficiently find out why and they will be able to fix it on their own.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:30:22 PM by Ryan »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
@p4 i would actually say it is easier to comment on people better than myself, possibly because inversely,with people worse than me i have trouble finding what to say other than improve the basic proportions etc. i dont know where to tread. but with someone better, i know they will understand what i say so i feel a bit more relaxed telling them this is slightly wrong etc. plus telling someone that is better than me that they did something wrong always makes me feel better, so its better for me lol

@ryan yes in the beginning they are not necessarily learning how to draw but more how to use their tool, how to  hold it etc. they still dont know how to move efficiently with it, or how to produce the curves etc that they want.

with that in mind, perhaps it would better better for us to help beginners to use the pencil/pen etc rather than picking on their drawings, because no matter how much you say curve that line more, if they dont know how to draw a curve, its not gonna help. i know definitely that i suffered form that in the beginning, i wasnt sure how to draw a circle too well, and i ended up practising just drawing shapes until i could control my hand enough to try faces etc.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:32 AM »
Yes there is a point. Starters shouldn't be pressed about all the errors and mistakes do. But again unless those are not pointed they are gonna take longer to correct their mistakes. But I think it should really depends on the artists attitude. If she/he willing to listen to all and seems like to know all then go head and do it. if the person seems not easy with it show them to biggest error/mistake.

I think this can be a problem for pro artists too. They probably know their mistakes and trying to correct those. Getting pointed about these repeatedly can be annoying.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
yes generally ive seen the pro-er amongst us getting different levels of criticism. a lot of people will go "wow thats great", which while its is good to hear, doesnt really help them improve. but again, at that level, they should already know fairly well themselves what to do. this is partially the reason i like to see quite a few pieces of work before i comment too much, i need to see if they always make the same mistakes or not, if so then its a problem.

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 01:49:31 AM »
I like to add another point specially about developing stories. Imagine someone come up with a unnatural  plot or concept and want to build a story around it. Lets say something like Ratatouille, the movie. What you need to do is help the person to make concept strong or more solid rather asking them to try something help.

A plot might sounds so wrong, crazy, common, weak or whatever still it's a treasure the person who came up with it. So It's better showing the person who make it better rather than trying to prove how bad is the idea.