June 15, 2021, 06:50:20 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What are you listening to  (Read 470913 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
  • Bama Lama Bama Loo
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to
« Reply #5025 on: June 03, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
The Who, Quadrophenia

This is one of those albums I've wanted to hear but since I didn't like Tommy I was iffy on it. I have to say it was a pretty good listen. "Is It In My Head?", "I've Had Enough" and "5:15" were highlights. "The Real Me" was covered by W.A.S.P. so I knew it before. The original is great. "Love Reign O'er Me" though. That is easily the best song here and it's an amazing finale. The vocal perform is ripping and if there's one reason to listen to the whole album it's to here this song in the proper context. I liked this record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLsC2FpDZk

Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak

So, I've had this record for like 8-9 years but I've never put it on. I don't know why I haven't listen to one of their albums before but man this is a killer record. I used to listen to the title track and it was one of early songs I learnt on guitar. "The Boys Are Back In Town" is one of those songs that overplay hasn't killed for me because it's actually good. It's one of those Rock tunes that makes you feel good, and it's a classic that has endured for a reason. But there is far more to Jailbreak. "Angel From The Coast" is amazing! What a groove. "Romeo And The Lonely Girl" and "Warriors" have killer guitar solos. "Cowboy Song" has such a great build up. Wow, these guys were good. I don't know how I've managed to look past them this whole time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOoCt8FpMPQ

Todd Rundgren, Hermit Of Mink Hollow

I never listened to this guy because he looked like a boring Folk artist to me. I was utterly floored when I heard a few seconds of "Izzat Love?" and I instantly knew I'd love his music. "All the Children Sing" is an amazing opener, such a unique style and sound! The melody, bright instrumental and catchiness just burst out. It's such a colourful and excellent song. There's some weirdo tunes like "Onomatopoeia". Like jeez who is this guy. "Determination" is a Jangle Pop tune! "Out of Control" rocks! There is such an undeniable style here and I'm amazed how fresh and new this sounds to my ears. Such a cool album with amazing songs and melodies. It sounds excellent and his vocals are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0_Af4jJ8M

Raspberries

Majorly disappointing. "Go All The Way" is quite an opener. When that riff comes in you just know it's gonna be good. But then it does the same thing most 70's Power Pop albums I've heard do. It looses all life. There's a glimmer of hope with the great Rock 'n Roll songs. Then we get boring ballads like "Waiting" and "Don't Want To Say Goodbye". Both songs are lame and boring. Those type of ballads make me sleep and when you start an album like it's gonna be a Hard Rocker it's even worse. "I Can Remember" tries to be an epic with all these changes. The strings and vocals killed it. What a lame song. Awful album for me. I can't believed I wasted my time on this. Not worth a damn after the first few songs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5u25XGGo-E
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:10:12 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• Bama Lama Bama Loo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: June 07, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
Thin Lizzy, Fighting

Another good album. There is a solid variety and damn Phil Lynott was just super cool. He was one of those guys like Jimi Hendrix who sang with the natural flow and vibe of the track. The guitarists are absolutely killer, these solos are top notch. The dual guitar work is iconic and the leads are super tight. "Freedom" is a showcase for the twin guitar parts. "Rosalie" is an amazing opener and fantastic Rock song. "Ballad Of A Hard Man" is full of great riffs. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1lPuWg-Rpg   

The Who, A Quick One 

I haven't enjoyed The Who's 60's material very much but this is a fun record. It has some maniac garage rock energy. The production is mixed, the drums are poorly recorded and sound quite shrill, especially the cymbals. "Run Run Run" is a nice trashy sounding rocker. "Boris The Spider" is fun tune sang by John Entwistle. It's weird hearing Keith Moon sing on "I Need You". His drums dominate the track and go way too loud on the chorus. "Cobwebs and Strange" is insanely ridiculous and I kind of love it. Once you stop taking The Who seriously you start to understand them. "So Sad About Us" is a brilliant Pop tune, such an excellent melody, guitar part and serious energy. That song is absolutely amazing and I can't believe I've never heard it before. It sounds like it should of been a massive hit. "A Quick One, While He's Away" is pretty stupid. I see the humour in it but to me it's not a good song, especially at nine minutes. I listened to "So Sad About Us" again right after because man that song is INCREDIBLE! Worth listening to the record for. That is easily my favorite Who song I've heard so far behind "Won't Get Fooled Again".   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5d-G-hFLo   

Raven, All For One   

The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal is one of my favorite movements in music history. In my opinion Brits made better Punk and Heavy Metal than Americans did in the late 70's and early 80's. I still have a lot of gaps to fill so that's where this album comes in! Right away this kicks ass, you are pummeled with their Sledgehammer Rock. There is a ton of energy and life in this music. The riffs are awesome, the vocals are cheesy but they fit. "Take Control" and "Mind Over Metal" are excellent. "Break The Chain" is an awesome melodic Metal tune. Raven and Metallica had songs called "Seek and Destroy" in the same year but they are both different and great. I didn't like every song but it was a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6W2NyD02o

Saxon, Denim and Leather 

Saxon is a band that bigtime 80's Metal fans lose their minds talking about. I have never listened to them until now. Honestly this album is just okay. "Princess of the Night" has some fast riffing but the vocals are quite soft. This band has more of a stomp and groove. I like "Play It Loud", it has some Bluesy riffs played heavy. "Midnight Rider" is decent also. This album wasn't too impressive overall. The title track was way too cheesy for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OQU0T1HMwI 

The Stooges, Funhouse 

Second listen. This is great filthily Rock 'n Roll. Everything is so trashy and bathed in garage here and it's great. The guitars are powerful and Iggy is so in your face. When the sax appears the songs get crazier. I am a much bigger fan of Raw Power but this is an awesome album as well. It's just nasty, you know. "Loose" and "TV Eye" are excellent. "L.A. Blues" is when this album really loses it's mind. and this is from 1970, wow. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xs8E9xxREc

The Doors, Waiting For The Sun 

This is a really weird album that is full of surprises. It's a total LSD record full of odd ideas. "Not to Touch the Earth" is a pretty tense and crazy track with some wild sounds. "Spanish Caravan" and some other songs have these big pick-ups. "My Wild Love" is an acapella track made up of strange sounds. This was a cool listen and not what I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAqx8y6mOFY

ZZ Top, Rio Grande Mud

This is a fairly unremarkable Blues Rock album. It has some pretty good songs like "Just Got Paid" but then some typical boring Blues tunes. Since this is their second album it's clear they hadn't developed their sound yet. The production is quite dry as well with very muddy guitars. But again, "Just Got Paid" is really good and the reason I listened to the album. It has a brilliant riff and groove. I just didn't find the rest of the album exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db94lyKYOcg 

Sly and the Family Stone, Fresh 

I wasn't all that into this album. It was a sort of laid back Funk record, nothing really stood out and burst through the speakers to me. Maybe I'm just not into this sort of tone. I felt like all the elements were good but it didn't make me feel anything. It was just passively on. Nothing much to say for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mld7eSaydI

Offline Manimal

• Bama Lama Bama Loo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: June 08, 2021, 06:51:36 PM »
Cheap Trick 

I don't get this band. I love their live record At Budokan but every studio album I've listened to from them doesn't click. It's like, I'm almost into it but there is something off to me. From the first song this album didn't feel right. "ELO Kiddies" was pretty silly. "Taxman, Mr. Thief", "Oh, Candy" and "Hot Love" were almost good songs. I liked "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace" and "He's a Whore". I didn't like the last song "The Ballad of TV Violence" at all. The production didn't sound right to me either. Cheap Trick is just not my band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2Tn6rz99g

Thin Lizzy, Bad Reputation

This is an amazing Rock album that has a lot of power. There is a very unique sound to this record and the songs are top notch. It's an improvement sonically over Jailbreak and the songs all flow together nicely. "Soldier Of Fortune" has a beautiful dual guitar lead. "Opium Trail" is an amazing song! You can hear the influence Thin Lizzy had on Heavy Metal bands with tracks like this. The riff in the verse is absolutely killer. "Killer Without A Cause" as well. I can't believe how amazing this band was. Everyone has always said so but I never listened. These songs are so distinct and extremely cool. "Downtown Sundown" is a great chill Rocker. I love this album and I need to own it. When things are back on I'm going to search everywhere for Thin Lizzy records. Man they were something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n5RYRpXgFA   

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: June 12, 2021, 06:16:47 AM »
I've amassed an impressive CD collection, so my music library is over three thousand tracks now. I also listen to a lot of weirdly specific YouTube mixes. I still don't use Spotify because of how every time I've tried to use it, it just busts and I can't get it to play anything. I used to use SoundCloud, but eh.

Recent genres I've gotten into:
Witch House
Sovietwave
Russian Post-Punk (and post-punk in general)
Slowed Down and Reverb edits
And Ill-Advised Records (dark Lo-Fi)
Haha signature go brr.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: June 12, 2021, 07:39:40 AM »
A year ago, I wouldn't have thought half of those were genres of music... but after playing around on https://everynoise.com/ for a while, now my mind has been opened! Also I think someone else was talking to me about Russion Post-Punk the other week, but I cannot remember why! :push:

If I'm being honest I've mostly been listening to the same stuff as usual the last few weeks as I worked my way through my assessment period... However, a few things have jogged my memory or caught my ear:

Burden of a Day - "Oneonethousand":
Was listening to a new song by a band called For Those Who Can See and it really reminded me of the sound of metalcore when I was getting into bands like August Burns Red back in the good old 2000s (back before the synthcore stuff really took off)! Then it got me thinking of this album. What a freakin' blast of an album. Crunchy, catchy, riffy, impressive vocals. "Remember" was pretty much an instant metalcore classic for me. It was such a shame that we didn't get more albums after this one, but I did enjoy the brief alt-rock outing that some of the members came together for afterwards. 12 years on and this album still holds up fantastically.

Twelve Foot Ninja - "LONG WAY HOME":
These aussies keep making the most bizarre music videos I have ever seen... But their fusion-style modern metal sound is just stellar and super fun! I can't wait for this new album to drop!

As It Is - "IDGAF":
For their pop-punk meets post-hardcore sound, these guys go to some pretty dark places now, but it makes their music very emotive and expressive. They always surprise me with how much I enjoy their music and this album looks like it will do the same.

Sleeping With Sirens - "Bloody Knuckles":
In a music landscape where most popular post-hardcore and metalcore bands have really leaned into the electronic and pop-rock elements to stay popular and relevant, Sleeping With Sirens surprise me in that they seem to hold on to a lot of their original heaviness - they were never a brutal band, and always fairly accessible anyway, but it's almost refreshing to see things NOT change so much! Fun track taking newer interesting vocal techniques from pop music to great effect.

Slaughter to Prevail - "Baba Yaga" & Lorna Shore - "To the Hellfire":
(Graphic imagery warning...)
Sometimes I just want to hear something that sounds like demons erupting from the fiery pits... this applies to both of these songs. 'nuff said.

Offline Manimal

• Bama Lama Bama Loo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: June 13, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
Thin Lizzy, Black Rose: A Rock Legend 

I'm so happy I gave these guys a chance, this is another great album. It rocks hard and the guitars are just cooking. "Toughest Street In Town" is insanely good. "Sarah" is a lovely tune with a melody you can be singing along to on your first listen. I am still in disbelief how good they were. The solos on "Got To Give It Up" are so spicy! Gary Moore is a great addition to the band here. The songwriting is very strong also. "Roisin Dubh" is a multi-part song that has some super great guitar passages. This was just a really cool record and I need to own it like the other ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAP8eVOxcMI

The Who, My Generation 

This album didn't impress me the first time I heard it and I only feel a little better about it the second time. There are some brilliant tunes but most of them are meh. I don't like the three cover songs at all. "Please, Please, Please" especially doesn't work for me. "I'm A Man" is basically a parody of Bo Diddley's original and the extended instrumental is a waste of time. A lot of the originals are rock solid and hard hitting. "The Kids Are Alright" is an amazing song. I love the melody and of course Keith's high energy performance. "Much Too Much" and "It's Not True" are great songs with excellent lyrics that feel very characteristic for the band. 'The Ox" is a very heavy duty instrumental and sort of ahead of it's time. Keith is out of his mind, as usual and so is Pete who gets into a feedback solo at the end.

I simply don't like "My Generation". The version on Live At Leeds kicks ass but that is one song I can do without overall. I personally feel it hasn't held up over the years but I understand the impact it had at the time. I think this album sounds pretty good and clean. I don't like Roger's vocals on some of the songs but everything else comes through great. While some songs are dated I think others are still awesome today. But overall this album feels messy and inconsistent. There are way better b-sides and singles from this time like "Circles" and "I Can't Explain" which would of greatly improved this record if they were included. "Bald Headed Woman" is hilarious, especially when it erupts with the harmonica solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afam2nIae4o 

The Rolling Stones   

Their first album is just a bunch of covers and one real original. That's not a bad thing however because this is a pretty enjoyable record. "Route 66" is a great opener and "I Just Want To Make Love To You" is fast and fun. They do Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry justice with their great covers of "Mona" and "Carol". This is a good album to trace the DNA of the Stones and what sort of music inspired their sound. It sounds electric and youthful. It's not really a debut that hints at the greatness they would achieve, even though the one Jagger/Richards original "Tell Me" is catchy, but it does show their Blues foundation and energy. You can listen to most of the artists they covered here and get a solid education on Rock 'n Roll. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRTpyT1pbjA

The Kinks

These guys have just never clicked with me but I put this on while I was listening to all these debut albums again. This album is not good. Some of the originals are decent and the covers are easily the weakest part. Compare the lame "Long Tall Shorty" cover with it's awful stereo panned vocals and boring tempo to the following song "I Took My Baby Home" which has a great melody and lots of energy. "You Really Got Me" needs no explaining. Of course I prefer Van Halen's version but there is no denying the original is a defining moment in Rock history. It's still a good song also. But honestly there are only a few good songs, most of them are just outright bad in my opinion. I feel there is no reason to listen to this album, all you need are "You Really Got Me" and a few other originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cUI_2joS1I

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: June 14, 2021, 07:02:11 AM »
@Manimal - What do you think of the new AC/DC track?? AC/DC - "Witch's Spell"

Jonathan Young - "Night Witches (Sabaton Cover)" / Sabaton - "Night Wiches":
Honestly, I think Sabaton should just be inducted into the Heavy Metal Hall of Fame already. This band kicks ass! Fantastic song that is more symphonic than a lot of their others, and a fantastic cover by Jonathan Young. They are great at picking out war stories and turning them into infectious tunes. You've just got to fist pump it to songs like "Primo Victoria".

Powerwolf - "Beast of Gevaudan":
Another band that, like Sabaton, are just a blast to listen to. For me they lack quite the same impact and are usually a little less serious, but they are still a whole lot of fun. This new track is on the more serious side though, and if their upcoming album continues in the vein then I am REALLY looking forward to it!

White Moth Black Butterfly - "The Cost of Dreaming":
Daniel Tompkins' progressive electronica/pop project just released this new album and it may be my new go to for relaxing writing sessions. It's mostly reserved and easy-going musically, but both Daniel and Jordan show their stunning vocal control and creativity throughout, using some very interesting techniques that for me elevate their style above standard pop artists - really standout in the chorus of "The Dreamer". It's quite emotive and soulful music I find.

Zeal & Ardor - "Run":
I've gushed about the creativity of this project before and how they seem to refine their sound every album. The mix of African-American Chant-style music with Black Metal here is better than I think I've ever heard it, resulting in this very dark, percussive, industrial sound that I love. Probably on of the heaviest Z&A tracks they've released, and I think one of my favourites. Looking forward to the new album next year.

Anastacia - "Left Outside Alone":
Yeah. You are reading this right. I'm just gonna say it, R&B used to actually rock! I was watching a video that had this song on in the background and I was like, "huh someone must've stitched these vocals over a hard rock cover... I don't remember it being so heavy," but no, this was how the original sounded! I feel like this came at the end of an era for R&B... Tying off the bow laced by the likes of Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, Shania Twain, Aretha Franklin and leading into Destiny's Child...

We had a brief period of really iconic singer-songwriter hits that I enjoyed like Tracy Chapman - "Fast Car", Natalie Imbriglia - "Torn" and Vanessa Carlton - "A Thousand Miles", but there are so few artists nowadays that are really catching my ears with this kind of music at all...

Burdrehnar - "Warriors of Tyre" (Imagine Dragons - Warriors):
It turns out even one of the least interesting bands in the world can make a couple of songs that I like. Also it turned out to be the perfect theme-song for a D&D stream that I watch! It matches up with the animated video this guy made so well! The other song by Imagine Dragons that I think is passable is "Friction"...

Killswitch Engage - "Alive or Just Breathing":
What a titan of a metalcore album. Raw, emotive, heavy as sh*t, super iconic tracks - I actually find myself going back to this more than their follow-ups nowadays. I think the roughness of this album in this style of music sounds almost novel to me now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:34:02 PM by NO1SY »

Offline Manimal

• Bama Lama Bama Loo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: June 14, 2021, 07:44:16 PM »
@Manimal - What do you think of the new AC/DC track?? AC/DC - "Witch's Spell"

I wasn't a big fan of the new album, it was just like "okay, they're still here and that's nice but uh...ya". This song sounds good, I like that Phil Rudd's drums are just as grooving as the old days. It's not like bad or anything but it doesn't muster up much of an opinion from me.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: Today at 01:36:46 PM »
It's a strange day when you have a similar reaction to an AC/DC release as me! :blink: I think my reaction was "Huh."

Memphis May Fire - "Blood & Water":
Almost skipped this new single after the slew of boring mediocrity that has been the last few Memphis May Fire albums since their 2011 release. But then I saw everyone and their mothers reacting to the song on Youtube and got curious. Well, holy sh*t, these guys might make a comeback if they keep this up. I always thought it was a shame that they lost the Southern flare to their instrumentals which made their debut interesting to me, and unfortunately that's not back, but what we get instead is a great modernization of their 2011 sound, bringing it forward the decade that it needed. The main guitar riff is slick, exciting and fun, the rhythm is bouncy and solid, and the vocals are finally the right mix of heavy and catchy, with a fantastic chorus that has an awesome second level to it, and far less corny lyrics than previous releases. Hope they keep this up.

Sonic Syndicate - "Denied":
A mate of mine literally just got into old school sonic syndicate a month or so ago... about 12 years too late... but it made me nostalgic and I've been listening over their first 3 albums again. This bunch hit something special over in sweden back in the 2000s. Super catchy and heavy music. I really love Rolands voice from back then.

The Unguided - "Phoenix Down":
Of course I can't talk about Sonic Syndicate without also mentioning The Unguided. So happy that the SS core could get back together to continue with the music that they actually wanted to make and continue with the concepts explored in their albums. This style of music is so much fun to me.