March 02, 2024, 02:34:06 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Serious Art Feedback/Help For Artists Who Need It  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
Serious Art Feedback/Help For Artists Who Need It
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »
Everyone knows you get normal feedback from your normal gallery, but what if you need help with something before its done or need to make sure something looks good from someone else's eyes? Maybe you have something that needs to be looked at that hasn't been looked at.

That's where this thread comes in. Here I want people to post work they need help on or are unsure about to get help and views from other people. It will be for both finished and unfinished works.

*added new rule - If you do modify or redraw a picture post it to show improvement of the picture. This will show you took the criticism into thought and used it to better yourself.

If you do post feedback and constructive criticism make it isn't something as simple as "oh anatomy needs work" add more and say "your anatomy work for the body in general needs work. The shoulders connect differently, legs are about half the body, elbow goes to around the area  to the bottom of the rib cage, etc. you get the idea.

Now I will post something I drew a while ago to get this started. I know generally what I have done wrong, but I want to see your views on it. What should I do to improve this if I ever wanted to try and recreate this?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:45:21 PM by Rojas »

P4

Re: Serious Art Feedback/Help For Artists Who Need It
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
user retired
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:03:23 AM by user retired »

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
Better get in on this too...

To point out a few faults starting with the man: His left eye compared to his right eye is rather small. The nose is too far upwards on the face and should be brought down if the bottom of the nose is being depicted. The man's shoulders are two different lengths (as it should be), but to too much extent. The left shoulder is much too long and should be shortened. The left arm is a bit too thin in comparison with the right as well. The jacket's left side should be brought upwards more before the buttoning, or else it looks like the buttons are not attached and were tacked on. The buttons are not to many standards when it comes to placement (should be on the right side of the jacket), but some companies betray this rule and set them on the left instead, so it is fine, but not often recognized as such. As for the pants, I do not know if the man's belt is falling off or if these are loose fabrics. Would suggest a redefinition of them. The shading of the man's jacket isn't enough to add "depth" to the picture. Would suggest more around the arms and upper torso.

For the boy: Facial structure as a whole barely represents a human. Would suggest redefining the head. The eyes are misplaced, as his right eye should be brought closer to the nose and his left should be extending outwards toward his ear a bit more due to perspective and head-shape. His sleeves (more specifically the lines more inward toward his person) should not be stretching upwards toward his collarbone, but should end just below the armpit, even when raised or in motion. The boys fingers are much too small and do not represent humans hands with the index and ring fingers being near equal in length, the middle finger being the longest, and the pinkie and thumb being near equal in length. Imagine a pyramid for the fingers. For the boy's right hand in general, the curvature of the hand around the face is incorrect and should be re-examined. The hand, as much as the fingers, are segmented in specific ways. The palm of the hand cannot bend inwards nor outwards, but the thumb can move in and out. The joints of the fingers are what can "wrap" around objects, and it would be wise to define it as such. The boys legs are also of two different lengths, however, it can defined that his left leg is coming "outward" through more meaningful shading and depth of the father's arms.

In general: P4 already covered this, but having a hand on someone's face and using that as a stabilizing tool would be extremely uncomfortable for the carrier. Also, it would seem as though the boy's middle finger is going into the father's eye. Ouch.

For improvements: Aside from fixing the general and individual faults in the photo, it would be wise to recreate the pose. Perhaps have the boy's arms wrap around the fathers neck and chatting with him on one side of his shoulder, rather than grabbing at the face. If you wanted to portray him as silly, maybe grabbing at the father's hair would work, rather than at his face.

Food for thought.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
Does your making this thread imply that we don't give out nearly enough helpful critique?

Nope I made this purely for artists who need critiqueing for something they don't exactly want to post in their gallery since its unfinished or looks completely bad. I mostly made it for unfinished works, since this was pretty much unfinished and a sketch, but I outlined it and cleaned the lines to see it better. I was going to redraw it, but wanted feedback.

Does this thread make a little more sense now? I hope more people will post their arts that need work as to get help because that's what I made it for.

Thank you all for the help, I'll take it to improve my redraw. I'll have it done soon. I'll probably give a different pose as suggested.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:49:53 PM by Rojas »

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
Tear. Me. Apart(literally, I drew myself with a mirror).
Very much appreciated.