February 21, 2024, 07:39:30 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Insane Massive Training Project  (Read 40382 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: The Insane Massive Training Project
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

9TH AND 10TH CHAPTERS COMPLETE.

I have officially finished the workshop. I was going to continue at a two page per day pace but after reading a mangaka interview wondered what it would be like to push myself to continue piling on the pages until I reach my limits. I had to finish the last 40 page sprint in two sessions though, I'm not as determined as I thought. But still, I'm really really really glad that I managed to finish this workshop.

But since I was getting the nagging feeling from announcing that I was aiming for 200 pages, I decided to go ahead and do one more chapter.

page 202 "Mugetsu"

page 203 a moonless sky indeed.

This whole thing has been such an experience. I don't know how big a window it is into the life of a mangaka and Kubo Tite, but I can certainly say I've gained quite a bit of insights from this excercise, and a whole new level of respect for Kubo and Bleach. The work he must put into this is phenomenal despite my usual gripes, and it's a sobering lesson especially considering how tiresome it was when I was tracing already created content. And I didn't even emulate the tones!

Lot's of food for thought to mull over, but all in all Im just so glad, here at midnight to say that I've finished this workshop.

Hell. Yes.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:07:04 AM by reX »

Offline WorldBeyondFantasy

• More adrenaline for the dashing youth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2014, 01:44:35 AM »
Woooo, great job Lego!  :clapping: :clapping:
You can clearly see a difference from when you first started to when you finished, great job again!  :clapping:
Now, could you perhaps draw a page from your imagination? something you created, be it random, funny or just pictures that dont make sense, i'm really curios to as how much you've improved ^^!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2014, 01:25:25 AM »
Thanks Beyond. Well thats immediately what I set out to do. I haven't learnt anatomy at the drop of a hat, but I've gotten something at least. Well here are the test pages if you want to check them out

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,3360.msg202881.html#msg202881

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2014, 05:40:01 AM »
How do you feel that it's helped your own artwork lego???

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2014, 07:19:10 AM »
I managed to remove one tiny limiter of procrastination I guess. It's easier to consider drawing something. It's always daunted me that someone would turn a story into hundreds of drawings but now it seems that much more reasonable.

As for drawing I hope my arm has become that much steadier?

I've noticed the importance of miniature forms in action comics. When people draw manga they just have to have close up of the anime faces, but more often than not you are looking at stick figures battling in a background. The trick is to still make them recognizeable.

Simple backgrounds are possible I guess? I still need to get texturing right, but I've seen many clues on how to make such things.

Toning really makes or breaks the page. Speed lines, environmental effects can really change how great an image looks.

Great hands make your comic. I think people forgive hand anatomical mistakes the less. There's always a limit but if one learns these then they're all good?

Mostly just gained an appreciation for mangaka.

I don't know if that's what counts. I'd like to say I've learnt anatomy but that's not possible unless I was making stick figure under drawings. I traced my drawings, but really, I do feel like I learnt something.

Anyways you can check out those pages and see what you think.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »
nice work lego, my dad does a lot more tracing than me, so his work always looks better :P

i had a similar experience when i wrote my first one-shot (soon to be posted)

you suddenly realize all the different aspects of manga, and consequently all the aspects you are lacking in :P
regarding small figures, i sometimes go through a manga and just copy the really tiny characters in the background, as you have found out as well, being able to tell who it is so so small detail is important.

as you say sometimes even when tracing it helps to draw the guidelines so you learn how to construct the drawing, not just copy it :P
I will probably be picking up this project again as i get closer to making my manga series. (i dropped it a while ago :P)

@lego how long did it take overall? (per page or in total) looks like a lot :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2015, 05:40:57 PM »
I think I bum rushed it to have it done in 60 days. But I'm pretty sure all together it was 100 and beyond. I'll need to dig up my deviantart post again to tell.

And totally. If I did the guidelines thing I would've learnt so much more, but it was sooooo tedious at a point I could barely face trying to trace anything. I'll do those studies now though in the other workshop.

And yes join aboard I say! The dopamine rush you get after completeing something like this is really fulfilling. Even till now I can be proud that I did this insanity. I like having these little victories to hold on to.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:16 PM »
indeed. when you get depressed, you can look back and say i have done this insane thing, so yeah good achievement.
when i finished my one-shot manga (to be posted) i was fairly excited, but it wore off pretty quickly when i realized how bad it was lol. i am proud that i did it, but i am not proud of it, if you get me :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Haha I made my own too. Do you have it anywhere? I've gotta see it

And oh here is the complete post. Prepare for lotso scrolling

http://legomaestro.deviantart.com/journal/200-Traced-Bleach-Pages-Training-Excercise-488883902

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »
I will be posting it in the next week probably. still scanning in old pictures so i'm not quite up to date :P

wow thats an insane lot. you can definitely see the improvement over the pages. if nothing else, youve improved the use of the pen itself, which is a valuable skill.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
That type of pen was my favourite haha. But I still need to learn your bic weilding skills

Yes would be great to see that then when you get around to it. I want to do some Bleach studies now

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
although i went back to using pencil for sketch and fineliner for inking, bic is mostly for sketching, not good stuff since if you make a mistake its a pain to remove for scanning :P
of course theres sketch with pencil and ink with bic, which i havnt tried yet.
i will do a mini tutorial or something on how i use a bic, but theres not much to say :P i'll try and think of something :P