February 21, 2024, 06:44:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!  (Read 405125 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: SKETCH SURVIVAL!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1920 on: March 22, 2023, 07:14:09 AM »
That's why this time round I'm committing to carrying on the daily challenge as it will have very good long term benefits for a small time cost.
I think the one day break becoming a one week break, becoming a one month break is the pitfall I hit several times, mostly because you simply just don't notice the passage of time when your focus is on other things. You look back and go "has it really been that long???!!"
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Wild

• Custom Title; Soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 22, 2023, 03:49:51 PM »
Suuper-san, you're doing great so you better stop looking so down in your posts. Seriously.
Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 22, 2023, 04:50:23 PM »
@wild such kind words!!!! thanks for the encouragement!!!

Day 47: my longest sketch in this streak so far. really went to town on the details. nearly died of the cuteness overdose :P
hands still not quite right...I might have an idea on how to improve that if I increase the quality of the first iteration, we'll see for next time.

Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 22, 2023, 06:17:55 PM »
Here i go, Day 1:

Took 15 minutes with this one, used my posing program prototype to speed up the sketching.

You can notice some errs like the hair/eyes/mouth feels out of place. Will work on making better art with minimal sketching.

Edit: Ups : { }

Taking a second look at it, i want to try different brush settings to get less bolder, more expressive lines. I also want to add more and better detail in the clothes or shading.

@suuper loved that one. How long did it took?

Edit 2: I know i should not be comparing my speed to others but cant help myself $ o $
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:47:31 PM by natsu »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 23, 2023, 01:59:53 AM »
@natsu an awesome start!
I'd focus on accuracy more than speed in the beginning, otherwise you don't spend enough time on the piece to actually learn new things, just quickly repeat old habits. But there's things to improve your speed even while being careful, such as not daydreaming or constantly erasing and redoing work.
And some things always take longer to draw than others so it's hard to compare with other people anyway as their style and composition affects their speed as well.

and thanks, my minutes taken is always written on my pieces, it's the underlined number. So half an hour for the last piece.

Day 48: tried some foreshortening, didn't go massively badly :P

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 23, 2023, 03:54:28 AM »

Day 2

Took 40 minutes with this one. No software posing, but a reference pic.

Im trying some new methods here, the face is now perfectly aligned even trough the sketch was just a circle and a curve. I feel i can draw more acurately and reducing the overall time spent sketching by making most of the work in the inking stage. I still had to do a lot of undo drawing the body.

@suuper that doesnot sounds like my case at all. I have a solid time frame in which i develop a page or draw. Its around 20 minutes to get the outline and 10 adding details.

For manga pages this is a surprisingly consistent and reliable time frame, unless i have to redraw a panel (which is very rare).

I started learning to draw seriously 4 months ago and the process has been:
Learn how to draw heads in different angles
Learn how to draw torsos in different angles
Learn how to draw basic backgrounds and effects using a scape point
Practice posing and composing panels
Draw a manga

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 24, 2023, 04:58:46 PM »
@natsu ah ok fair enough, sounds like you've got a clear idea of how you work so no worries there :D

Day 49: I'm always amazed at how I can consistently come up with new sketch ideas but then again even within the very narrow genre of my comfort zone there's lots of minor variations that make a piece look different when it's fundamentally, the same.

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 24, 2023, 10:11:21 PM »
Sorry guy(s?) I have a real life emergency and cannot draw something today, and probably couldnot in a week or two.

@suuper she is sooooo cute U w U

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 25, 2023, 04:45:09 AM »
ah that's too bad, hope you can sort it out ok!

Day 50: standard stuff

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 25, 2023, 06:58:38 AM »
Woot! Well done with the consistency @Suuper! You're really nailing down those details! I especially love that you're able to churn such work so quickly! If I were to compare your Day 1 art, you can slowly see just how those nuanced details are developing. It's an exciting thing to see!

Keep it up! I'm eagerly awaiting your celebrated Day-60 milestone!  8)

“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 26, 2023, 04:00:23 AM »
@operative many thanks!!
partly the speed is thanks to working in my comfort zone and not aiming at too high a quality, it's just a sketch level. But I'm trying to put a fair amount of detail into them all the same.

Day 51: suddenly, action.
pretty happy with this one.
I love breaking the ground up it's so easy to draw but looks so cool ahahaha

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 26, 2023, 09:33:51 AM »
Here we go,

Day 1:

Not totally happy with this one. Took 12 minutes, software posing.

@suuper i would like to see a page or draw of yours at full quality, links not allowed. Cant relate as i dont have different 'qualities', pheraps i just have less experience?

You and I have so many differences in style, thinking and methods, and at the same time, we have many parallels. Its nice, you make things in different ways and create things i could never create, or even think of.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 26, 2023, 12:48:02 PM »
nice one.

hmmm this is probably my absolute best one in terms of rendering:

in terms of composition maybe this one? I've got many at this level so it's hard to pick just one. some are more beautiful, whereas others are more active and engaging or interesting. I pretty much picked this one at random :P

I don't have any manga pages at my best rendering yet as my manga page style is constantly in a state of flux.

as for getting better at composition, I'm sure with practice you'll be able to expand the range of ideas you can produce, originally I just drew girls standing in t-shirts and jeans over and over again, and over time as I got more comfortable with drawing my ideas I started to branch out into more interesting ideas. If you go through my entire art thread you can see my progress from pretty much zero.
for instantly coming up with a better idea, make sure you have a specific action your character is performing. Don't make them just pose for the camera, have them interacting with an object or another person. That will instantly make your pieces wayyyy better :P
adding a background/setting is another instant win.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:52:49 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 27, 2023, 02:43:22 AM »
a
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:04:30 AM by Slammy »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 27, 2023, 05:31:47 PM »
@slam an awesome idea! glad to have the company, and that's a great day 1, comfort zone or not :P
tbh almost all my sketches are in my comfort zone, there's no shame in that XD

Day 52: ran out of time today due to working overtime. so just a quick one today.