June 15, 2021, 03:18:16 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Should Disable Registration ?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Should Disable Registration ?
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:45:35 AM »

We have some pretty good spam controlling filters but the catch is sometimes they do mistakes too. Like removing accounts of active members who end up in their line of fire, accidentally.

Kites account's been removed by spam filters at EcchiWorld (he hasn't been around in MR or Ecchiword for a while. Sent him a PM though)and This might have happened here at MR too.

So I thought maybe we should disable registration in both sites. Those who want to join us can contact us using the contact form.

After all we don't need spammers, we don't need link droppers and we don't need those who just come to promote their DA account here. I have to waste time to weed them out and Sometimes even good members get into trouble because of that.

So if someone really want to / like to join our community and then they can apply us by contact form or using our Facebook page ( MangaRaiders Fan Page ) . And guys if you really like the forum then why don't you click the "like" button ?

We have at least 100 real and active members here and there are only 9 people " like " the forum ?  :blinkAdmin:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Should Disable Registration ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:14:34 AM »
I'm ashamed to say i didn't know this page existed at all >.>  That will be fixed though

Personally i think it's a great idea. When someone joins in this manner we'll be sure there's a high chance they're serious. Also angry that kite's account was deleted. Still sort of waiting for his epic return.

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:39 AM »
Wouldn't that also stunt the growth of the forum though? Is there another option?

BTW I will like that page now :D

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
@ lego : It was his Ecchiword account , not the MR one. Maybe filters found he was way too Ecchi or something ! xD Yeah still it sux because Ecchiworld is getting active again with new members. Ecchiworld needs Kite. xD

Having bunch of spam accounts and 1000's of inactive accounts is not the best type of  growth a site can have.  This is why we have around only 1000 members for like 5 years now. All zero post accounts are deleted at end of each month.

I don't see any other better option. I'm open to suggestions ..

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:20:56 AM »
Ecchiworld is getting active?! Awww yeah

Usually though there is a pattern when it comes to spammers. I don't know much about html but it should be possible to recognize these spam patterns, for instance the titles of the threads they make are usually random words, and the only things they post are links. No normal text, just links. If you can make it so that these kinds of posts and accounts are automatically deleted, that would be a good alternative. Having to mail the admins to sign up is just not practical, and people will most likely not take the time (that's how people are).

Now, off to ecchiworld!
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
Having to mail the admins to sign up is just not practical, and people will most likely not take the time (that's how people are).

Yeah this is also what I was thinking. We wouldn't be getting any new awesome members. People don't like a wait and most likely new members wouldn't be showing up.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
i kinda have to agree. sure who does show up might be a really good member. but it will stem the tide a lot just because people tend to be lazy. especially when it comes tot he internet. we've dealt with spammers before. we can keep doing it.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
Well It's me who has o deal with spammers. xD  Nice job NOT.  We might not need it since Google already launched a new algorithm to catch those link spammers. So maybe we won't need it. But still I can use these spam filters running but next time it might be your own account which they might delete accidentally. This is what i worry about.

@ Tostificer : Unfortunately we can't do much about it. most of this crappy spammers use a software called XRumer. Hopefully this software will be out of business soon. But it will take a while.

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
Well how many admins are there? If you just get people you can trust to help moderate the site then it'll all work out no?

Offline rmcarvalheira

• Stop giving up on your great story ideas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Answering all the emails will give you a lot of work also right?

Offline pandasayori

• Pandanni Picaso
  • Alois Fangirl<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Wow I haven't been on here in a while ; x ;

Hmmm...if registration were disabled that would cut out the people who actually want to be apart of the forum. Then again if we do disable registration...it keeps spammers away...

Gyaaahhh confusion! DX

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 04:37:33 AM »
Wow I haven't been on here in a while ; x ;
Hmmm...if registration were disabled that would cut out the people who actually want to be apart of the forum. Then again if we do disable registration...it keeps spammers away...
Gyaaahhh confusion! DX

Well I don't think it will cut out people who actually want to be apart of the forum. Lets face if someone doesn't bother to read the notice and Send us their email and username (30 seconds) will do much activity in forum ? or take time to read your Manga story or bother to look at your Manga Art ? I doubt.

I ll wait for an another week and if it's getting worse (already) then I will have to do it anyway.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:34:28 PM by Hasith »

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
You kind have a point but then we all do. There's not much we can predict about it. besides your trying to do what's best for the forum so it'll be fine in the end.

Offline Nyxy

• Disciple of the Muses
  • I write what I imagine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
I like the idea Hasith it would help with spammers and maybe have them note where they were referred to the site from  when they apply so we can get a focus on where our new members are coming from to.
In my mind there are thousands of stories all waiting to be told to others.

http://mangaraiders01.wordpress.com/ Tune in the the MR Cast for all things Manga Raiders.