March 29, 2024, 02:35:06 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: NSFW Ryan's Revived Sketchbook  (Read 69293 times)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
Re: NSFW Ryan's Revived Sketchbook
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »
Been putting off updating this for a while. I made a collection of the stuff I did during the second half of 2019. Was kind of a difficult year. Hoping for a better one this time.

I realized that I don't really have any desire to tell stories with my art, or even really to write fiction. It's a notion that I've had for a while, that is, doing these things. But, I think it came more out of adoration and enjoyment in consuming media.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a lifeless imagination. There are no characters interacting there. No great yarn that I must spin. Aphantasia makes it like this. To me, the idea of spending countless hours on story seems like a gruesome, frustrating hell. I wonder why it took me so long to realize.

Indeed, it's the case that I feel much like a fake whenever I try to tell or make stories. The characters seem to fall lifelessly on the page. Perhaps I will put effort in telling stories again one day for the sake of sucking at it. But it's no longer a real artistic goal for me. I wonder, what the fascination is in something I have never done for fun. I suppose the naivete was expecting something I didn't enjoy doing to some day become enjoyable. I have caused much pain to myself, procrastinating on the notion of stories, as a person that at the core isn't interested in telling stories.

What now, then? I am considering to create manga-inspired artwork and to sell it. Originals and prints. I wonder if people will be interested in my inhuman tastes in art. You see, at the core I cannot shake off the feeling of meaningless I have for art. I'm convinced I don't experience art like the common person might. However, I feel that this reflects the nature of our absurd and beautiful world. Yes, in a way I feel that turning the absurd into something beautiful is something that may come naturally to me.

Anyways, I still don't know what this art will look like, as I've only gotten started.

But, here's some stuff that I did before, messing around with using spaced repetition for doing studies. I'll talk about it more if I do more. I started out with the idea of doing 5-minute ones, but realized that is not enough time and moved up to 10 minutes.

Anyways, for a disclaimer, you should click on the images below to open them in a new tab.

I also decided to do 5-minute sketches as a practice. My goal was to get to 500 sketches. It's not really something I'm aiming to complete, but we'll see.
5-minute sketches >
10-minute spaced repetition studies
5-minute spaced repetition studies

Link to 2019 collection.
https://mega.nz/#F!DFZilYRS!R-EdgyLJr6shuKntBjG_5w
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:07:00 PM by Ryan »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »
Hrm, that seems to be quite the headspace you've got yourself in there Ryan. I can certainly sympathize with a lack of willingness to create stories, although I can't really understand what you mean by the "inhuman" part of it. I suppose not getting a ride out of art is fine as long as you don't have a total lack of emotion for all things to go alongside it. But I would hope that you take some enjoyment out of it somehow, even if it's different from how you perceive most people to.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2020, 02:19:09 AM »
Well, I should be clear. When I say "art", I am really only referring to visual art that stands alone; e.g. stuff you may come across browsing online art galleries. The way I experience mixed mediums; comics, animation, television, etc. is for the most part normal.

Anyways, inhuman is maybe the wrong word. What does it mean for something to be "human" is largely undefined in the first place. What I mean is that I don't have taste that could be considered typical.

Take for example Samura Hiroaki's "love of the brute" art collection. I imagine the average person would find such artwork questionable. But, I find it to be valuable art and have no problems with it. It's not PG-13 work, so you'll have to google it if you want to see what I mean.

I think I like art that is well-drawn (visually appealing) and has some sort of implied story to it. Story serves to give the viewer a reason to explore the image, but I don't think the specifics of the story matter much to me. Story is really just the fact that something is happening in the image, or something already happened.

Subject matter is also not usually important to me. The first two qualities are what usually matter. I think this is unusual.

When it comes to art, the feeling of meaningless comes from the fact that I am very open to the subject matter. If the subject matter could be anything for me, then where does art possess "meaning"? What should the subject matter of my painting be? As a result, I came to the conclusion of making art where the subject matter of the piece holds no greater meaning, and is perhaps even absurd or undefined.

Well, my thoughts are still confused, and this current viewpoint will probably change over time.. But I know from a research study that every viewer brings their own history, personality, and values when it comes to valuing artwork. How many people will come to the same conclusion that I have?

How many people will get behind this notion of subject matter not mattering? I suppose, this is what I wonder. But I know that I will be bothered if the extent of my motivation in making art is to simply make visually appealing artwork. That's why I have a feeling that I should explore this idea of subject matter not mattering.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:33:00 AM by Ryan »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2020, 11:01:27 PM »
Honestly it sounds like you're dancing on the edge of some new school of art man, or at the very least least the edge of one I've never heard of before (are we beyond post-post modernism yet? I have no idea). I think your thoughts have a place, and I am definitely starting to get more of what you're trying to say. I don't have the vocabulary to say it either, but I think the concept of stories mattering but not the subject matter is a line worth exploring.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 04, 2020, 08:48:20 PM »
Mmmmm...I was watching some videos on Eric Andre. His comedy could be described as absurdist. I think there are some connections there with what I want to do.

I've been a bit busy with other stuff lately so I haven't drawn for a couple days. I'm happy with how these drawings turned out though. I'm trying to put as much focus on the silhouette as possible, and putting details off until the end. I guess I'm trying to build drawings that are solid and appealing even when there's not much going on.

I think I've had the tendency in the past to fill up my drawings with as much nuanced linework, "skillful" anatomy, and detail as possible. Perhaps it was to try to make the drawing look "cooler" when I didn't think they were cool enough.

I have also put too much emphasis in the past on drawing in an automatic way, heavily relying on muscle memory to draw things. So, I would have trouble when I would try to draw things with a different procedure or out-of-order. Perhaps my perceptions and knowledge has simply improved enough, but I'm able to build from basic shapes/forms into the complex shapes/forms much more easily now.

I'm starting to understand that the "cool" feeling to a drawing can be felt from a very simple, uncomplicated drawing.

This animator and his videos is who I have to thank for realizing the importance of silhouette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQeL5Ii2d0

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:57:11 PM by Ryan »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 08, 2020, 07:10:52 AM »
great sketches Ryan and good to see you challenging yourself to be more creative. A nice range of sketches and angles and poses.
And good to see you're learning new things.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »
thanks suuper, yeah there's always a tons of stuff to work on haha.

cleaned out some files on my laptop so i figured i would upload some sketches here. i compiled it all into one image. basically sketches and you can see i was practicing with the loomis method for drawing heads, also tried to copy the style of a head from welcome to the ballroom

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
good stuff Ryan
that copy is spot on! I've done a few serious copies but to get a perfect copy is jolly hard :D
and then to superimpose the original to see how much you mucked up is very painful!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!