February 27, 2024, 02:54:37 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's Artworks & Illustrations  (Read 304739 times)

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's Artworks & Illustrations
« Reply #1695 on: January 07, 2024, 10:02:06 AM »
@Nabe not at all, I appreciate your comments, it's great to get interaction with others and get advice, discuss different topics etc. It's never caused me stress at all!
Yes I could do with a bit more self-discipline to be honest, I used to be a lot better but these days I much more easily get distracted.

End of year rambling & goals for 2024

Well another year has rolled by and I'm still not a famous mangaka XD
Of course I'm kidding. But all the same that's an endgame goal so it's always worth checking if I'm heading remotely in that direction.

Work and life stresses over the last 2 years really have taken an impact on my personal stuff, and I think that's made it easier for me to get distracted, reading manga or watching youtube etc. So I really just haven't got much done at all in 2023, and looking back 2022 wasn't too good either. In fact I've done so little that it's making it difficult to figure out what direction I'm heading next.

Overall I think a boost in content production is absolutely necessary. That's basically "I need to draw more".
I think it doesn't really matter what specifically I'm drawing as long as I put a lot of time into it as that will give a lot of experience, and once I've got a lot of momentum I will more easily know which areas are needing more focused efforts.

I've not really done much studying of photos or art last couple of years, copying things and stuff. I used to do quite a lot, and it's relatively quite easy to do as you don't have to think about what you're creating. And that boosts your repository of information which makes it easier to draw your own stuff. So I want to do more regular art and photo studies, figure drawings and so on. Since getting half-good at art I've been neglecting those base studies.

I didn't really do many sketches at all the last 2 years, and so that's something I want to address for 2024. I like drawing sketchy art and I like doing high quality art, and I want to do quite a lot of both, forever. So that's got to be part of my regular output. So really every week/month I should be doing something in this regard. I don't want weeks and months to slip by and I haven't done anything.

But aside from illustrations I want to get some comics done as well. I've got plenty of ideas and I've got half decent workflows, so it's just committing to a specific story and pumping it out at the desired quality. I've been struggling to know what quality to draw my comics at, and so I'm trying to do a one-shot to trial a higher quality level than my previous sketchy manga. But really I want to also regularly produce comics as part of my output, so I want to start a sort-of-serious serial manga this year. I almost started it last year but got derailed with other stuff so hopefully just brush the dust off and get going again.

I have been doing paid commissions for over a year now, and that's taken a fair bit of time regularly. So partly the reason I haven't done personal stuff is that I've been doing professional stuff. and that's helped me to gain some skill as well. So I need a bit better time balance to make sure that my personal projects don't suffer too greatly.

Procrastination and focus are my biggest issues at the moment, so I need to spend more time daily just doing anything art related rather than reading manga. To help with that, the last month or so I've been trialling a new productivity method which I sort of mentioned previously. I've got a list of tasks which I do daily, but it doesn't matter how long I spend on each task!! So if I really really don't want to do it, I just do 1 minute. Or at least, that's what I tell myself, but almost every time, it ends up being maybe 10-15 minutes, because once I get started, I realize it's not so bad after all. Getting started is almost the entire problem, so I have to coax myself into it by saying I'll only just do a minute. Thanks to that method I've been tackling my pending art requests on my request thread with a nice consistency, and also some other projects like the daily sketch were also pretty successful. So I'm keeping that going and hopefully that helps add momentum to my projects.

So, sort of same as always, my goal for 2024 is "DO MORE ART!!!"
Watch this space and we'll see if I manage it. I'm slightly more confident this year than last.

Have a sketch I did in ballpoint on holiday

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:03:43 AM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 14, 2024, 04:27:58 PM »
Nearly over my cold now, a lousy way to start the year.

For the first time in 2 years, I finished a set of 12 linearts. Did half of them today actually, the rest I did a few months back and then forgot about.
Pretty crumby quality and for good reason, I'm both out of practice and also inexperienced to begin with. But my line quality is basically fine I think, at least for now. Lots of small areas such as hair and hands I just don't know what I'm aiming for and it's just guesswork at the moment.

This the best one from the set which is really saying something.

On the bright side, my line control is fairly ok, so I think I just have to figure out my style and it'll be better. Also silver lining the original sketches were my worst ones as I'm trying to use them up first, so I had the odds stacked against me. I'm just happy to finally get them out of the way and get into a fresh set of also-not-my-best sketches.
So a pretty good start to the year hope to keep that momentum going.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 14, 2024, 06:35:20 PM »
Exciting!!!

The ball point drawing is well done and cute. The line art is nice as well. You could possibly explore doing a full manga page expressing a scene / mini story. It could be simple like for instance a girl saving a cat in a tree. I'm just suggesting this to give your characters more movement.

It's exciting to see how 2024 will be.

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 20, 2024, 04:15:19 PM »
Thanks!
I think that would make a cute one-shot manga or even as you say just a page. Usually though a more complex piece requires more planning, especially a manga page, so usually unless I'm actually in a project my illustrations are more generic.

Talking of generic I was just trying out developing my style a bit and drew this. Plenty wrong with it but quite a few things I'm happy with it too. For a start it took less than an hour to do the whole thing, drawn all in one session.
Didn't quite get the body proportions right although I don't think it looks wrong, per se, just not the style I was after.
Shading is really causing me problems since I'm colourblind I can't discern the right colour to shade with  (or even if it looks right once I've done it) and so I think I've got to do more studies and memorize the RGB of colours I need to use.

But I'm starting to get my old mojo back I think, or rather I think I know why I lost it and I'm instead gaining a new mojo that's more advanced now XD

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 20, 2024, 04:57:40 PM »
It loos really good. The art style as is , is nice but if it's not your art style your going in the great direction. The eye size is reduced and always makes characters seem less fictional. I remembered reading about that frayed curl that's on top her head. It was saying it's used for more silly, playful jovial characters so I'm wondering how that could be perceived.

Im wondering why she's nervously reading the book XD.

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 02, 2024, 04:11:55 PM »
@Nabe thanks!
As for the book, most of my compositions are just random, so there's no deep meaning behind any of the characters poses or actions XD

Just me talking to myself, move along move along.

Well my health is picking up again and I'm finally able to start my grand back-in-business art schemes. Mostly it boils down to just "do a lot of art", but I'm going back to my super structured masterplan version 0 which I started about 2 years ago, and sort of fizzled out as I wasn't able to maintain the high output.

I've been wondering for a very long time what makes me able to focus or not, since in the past I have been able to draw 5+ hours for weeks at a time, and I think basically it's self inflicted pressure to maintain that output no matter what, and consequent depression when I miss it for whatever reason. So I need to take a much more relaxed approach and just do what I can do, and if it's more on one day than another - great, and if it's less, then oh well, move on. I need to enjoy my art, and then the content will just flow naturally.

So other than just trying to not stress over things I'm not doing, I'm working on lowering my speed to improve accuracy on the mid-level sketches. In the past I made a decision to work quickly because I was wasting time on my sketches, daydreaming, and other unproductive activities. Drawing quickly meant that it was harder to get distracted and I could produce a lot of work, and it worked really well. But something I didn't realize as my skill improved, was that it has been getting harder and harder to draw quickly and good, at the same time. Basically my skill has improved to the point where going quickly is now causing more issues than it solves, and my focus is better anyway now that I'm much more consistent with drawing. So speed is no longer the game changer it used to be. I've levelled up without realizing it, but not adjusted my workflows to match, and I think that's been the major cause of my issues for almost 2 years. A while back I started to reduce my speed, but I wasn't particularly sure why, it was just a feeling that I should slow down. But now I know why. So I'm hoping that working slower will actually increase my output because I wont be stressing so much over why things aren't turning out right.

Also, because I have a habit of overthinking, it's sometimes hard to focus because of just other life or art stuff going on, and I'm trying to multi-task worrying, and drawing. Which obviously isn't great. So the question was, how to fully switch into "art mode" when I've got other stuff going on. And I think I might have figured out a solution, not the best per se, but it seems pretty usable. My old manga tracing project, in which I just take pages from my favourite manga and trace them for practice, is actually a really good warm up project since I don't need a lot of focus to start it, but for some reason after about 10 minutes I'm really focused singularly on my art. I think what happens is that because it doesn't require much thought to trace a line, is that my mind is going into a semi-sleep state, like when you're watching a screensaver or something, and so my thinking speed actually drops, to the point where I can't process other things that I'm worrying about. And so from there, I can start my art projects and then my thinking picks up, but only art stuff. Just a bizarre thing I've noticed about focus. Being patient helps when it comes to trying to focus because if I'm trying to quickly get in the zone, I'm focusing a lot on how I'm not in the zone, which actually prevents me from getting into it.

So both of the points above boils down to being calm, slow, patient, and all other nice relaxed feelings. And even while being ill I've been able to focus better, and now I'm picking up to full health again I've had quite productive days even while juggling life stuff as well. So watch this space, if all goes well I'll be seeing some nice progress this year, and really, in the next few weeks and months.

But back to my masterplan (Compare my old post on the topic)
I'm working on generating a range of sketches in several different styles and levels of quality, most of which are improvements on older sketches which I view as WIPs even if they are "finished".
I'm working to combine some improvements with my better focus ideas to make this project more stable and have it as a constant background project to generate sketches and give me experience/practice.

This project completely stalled a year ago, halfway through a set of sketches, and so it's not really a grand reveal like it has been previously, but here's some sketches that are part of this very large project. These are "finalized sketches" in that I've improved the original sketch idea, and also fixed up the major proportions so that it doesn't have too many problems. It's not quite a sketch style as I sometimes throw in notations like describing objects that I haven't properly drawn etc. But overall it's a good balance between speed and accuracy. Slowing down for complex details such as faces and hands really helps to improve the quality without really taking much longer to draw (compared to trying to draw everything at the same speed regardless of the complexity)
I try not to think too hard about the composition because even a normal sketch will help with experience and practice, so if I can make it better then great, but I'm not really pressuring myself to come up with amazing ideas all the time. Any really good ideas I move forward to sketch at a higher quality later on.

So not really much to show for all that talking, but I'm hoping the next lot of sketches will come out much sooner than the large gaps of nothing I've been having recently.

For other projects, I've got a couple of requests to finish off, a couple of study projects that need picking up again like hand studies etc, my next manga story which was making slow progress but not really making much progress, I'm trying to get that out of the way so I can go onto the next next manga in the pipeline XD
As always I'd like to try and post to social media a little more but that's always low priority to actual drawing.
Writing I'm trying to get going as well since I need that for my manga, but it's at a much lower skill level than my art, so needs more work really to level it up.

Well I think the fact I wrote so much means maybe I'm getting back to my old self :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 04:21:52 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Killer B !!SAMA!!

• I GOT U THERE PERVERT AJUSSI
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 23, 2024, 08:04:37 AM »
Yeah life ruins our mind

Btw if ur drawing and thinking about the work and many things it will not work I actually experience it if u focus on drawing and getting better but u think its not good enough u will get dissapointed in urself

Heres what did I do I draw when I like it and the parts parts like studying what I draw little at a time and then sleep when ur tired tired mate enjoy life thats what it is hhhha