September 18, 2021, 06:41:49 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 186343 times)

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1590 on: August 17, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
I think the drawing cat example is more of technical skill being applied to being able to draw other things.  It really depends how observant the person is in 3d shapes/forms that will allow you to draw different animals.

Also Super, you said that you wanted to draw more manga pages.  I think you are at a point where you might want to focus more on the lineart when you do draw those pages and take a bit more time on them.  Pose/gesture practice is usually done fast but if you want to improve the finished product then taking more time and refining it is going to be good practice.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 17, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »
@MK

I think the drawing cat example is more of technical skill being applied to being able to draw other things
Ah yeah that was sort of the idea I was going on, that regardless of style a lot of technical ability is the same, understanding form, light, shadow etc.

Thanks for the advice, I've definitely got improving my line quality on my to-do list! I'm relatively confident that I can improve my lineart so I haven't been focusing on it too much, but for my next manga I hope it will be a much higher quality.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: August 22, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
I'm thinking rather than posting at the end of the week, now that I'm in more of a rotating tasks workflow, that I'll just post whenever I finish a complete set of sketches. That way I'll be sure I'll have something to say as I'll have a bunch of experience and sketches between my posting here.

As it happens I have finished a complete set now. Mostly it was just figures and hands remaining so the only sketches I have done are new concepts in my previously quite successful massive sketch page. All in all, about 1000 sketches of different sorts, about 250 actual sketches and 750 regime items.

Here you go, 124 sketches. 12 prompts in a massive 3x4 grid, so about 10/11 sketches per prompt, and only loosely following the prompt words. click to enlarge. You can sort of see where the grid was by the margins of white between the sketches.

I honestly haven't had a great week, working at about 35% of my new target at the moment, but I think I'm working out the kinks. It's a new workflow after all, and it's quite a different feel the way I'm tackling it to previous. Mostly it's been fatigue that's been the problem, I'm oversleeping a lot and so losing a lot of time from my morning slots. As always no clue why, could be weather or anything.

While I have used time as a general productivity statistic, I am now minimising my focus on the amount of time I'm spending on tasks and overall each day. It's actually quite distracting, and depressing when I'm not reaching my targets. So I am now primarily focusing on output and just getting stuff done. This way I'm sort of doubling my focus on the current task, rather than worrying about how much time I'm spending on it. So far it's helped a little I think, we'll have to see long term how these major changes work out.

I'm pretty confident in my new workflow but I'll have to wait a few weeks at least to see if anything sticks and if it's maintainable long term. One of the immediate benefits is that because the regime is organised in sets of sketches, it ensures a uniform production of sketches at different levels, something I have never been able to balance previously.

I have also finished the second stage of my new maximum level illustration project, here are the 4 draft sketches:
Since this is a sort of new project I'm still not quite sure of my workflow and how much effort to put into different stages yet, so I'm just working comfortably through without too much worry. I'm aiming at about 80% quality for these ones, and then the next set will be 100% once I know what I'm doing.

So that's all for now, I'll see you all sometime within 2 weeks hopefully. I'm hoping to pick up speed and efficiency for this project and really churn out some work. hopefully :P

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
  • Zoot Suit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 07, 2021, 05:41:52 PM »
I love those four coloured pictures! There is a real cozy vibe to them. Lots of detail and yet not overloaded. Well done!

Always nice to see the massive lot of sketches. Lots of nice drawings in there and cool to zoom in and search through them. You are really good at keeping the shape of things, even in the sketches when you use less lines. Everything still feels together you know.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 16, 2021, 07:21:26 PM »
@Manimal thanks! to be honest I was actually aiming at an overloaded style, so the remaining details are yet to be added. Partly it's for practice, partly I just like it crazy busy.
And thanks yeah I've been getting a lot of practice at drawing stuff with minimal guidelines but still presenting the concept properly. part of the secret is using a thick solid line.

Well I have finished the second set of my regimes-regime. It took nearly a month this time as I was crazy busy with all sorts of stuff. In fact I don't ever remember my schedule being so packed previously. A little annoying as it's been so distracting that even on my art time I've not been able to focus as I would have liked.

But I've managed to do a bunch of sketches and a couple other things so here's how the last few weeks went.
Overall 1105 sketches/items have been drawn in this set, and it took 48 hours of work. I'm really hoping to boost my focus and improve the turnaround time for the next sets.

Linearts +12
Most of the lack of quality is due to the very old undersketches. My WIP queue got a bit stagnant at the higher levels of quality due to my focusing mostly on sketchy sketches. But I'm making good progress getting through them and moving onto slightly higher quality sketches to ink. Overall they're alright but I'll need to put some different line weights in at some point.

Resolved Sketches +36
This is one of the main focuses of this entire regime, as resolved sketches offer a lot of learning in terms of accuracy, proportions, and details. I'm still changing up the WIPs I'm starting with and adding more BG elements and details such as extra characters, motion, props etc. So far so good but I think I just need to get a ton of experience working to a higher quality like this. Bizzarely the feel of the pieces is similar to my Finalised Concept stage, but has a much higher quality level

Finalised Concepts +90
I'm doing more of these than planned previously to make sure that I have a good flow of new good-quality sketches through to the next stage of resolving. I found that I get a massive quality boost at the beginning of the sketch by spending a minimum of 1 minute trying to improve the idea. By waiting just that tiny amount of time, the consistent boost to my ideas is fantastic. The overall sketch time doubles from about 4 to 8 minutes as there is a lot more detail added, but that's fine, as the sketches are far better and worth the investment.
I had so many good sketches I struggled to narrow them down to these.

Original Concepts +105
These are using vague text prompts and I generally draw in my comfort zone for these. But overall I'm producing a higher range of ideas, even in my comfort zone these days. I suppose that's proof of my growth or something. I'm using a solid  brush for these and it speeds up the sketching by 25% at least. Because my concepts are fuller I'm fitting less on the page than I did previously, but that's probably not an issue.

I have added a few additional stages of work to my project to balance the type of work being produced and work on my weakest areas - concept and originality.

Finished Concepts +48
These WIPs use a fragment of an old sketch to spark an idea for a sketch. Mostly it's headshots or figure poses that I'm working with, so it's a little harder to come up with something interesting. Also I might just have been having a bad day when I did them, as there's less variation than I would have expected.

Altered Sketches Experiment +48
This stage uses previously generated sketches to give a core of a sketch, which I then draw alterations over the top, to create a new concept, but at a lower mental cost than drawing a new one from scratch. I generally change up 50% or more of the original sketch so I'm never doubling up on WIPs. About 1 in 8 I completely redraw anyway so there's a lot of new interesting ideas being generated. I try and work outside of my comfort zone and draw stuff I dont normally, like sad situations, old people, robots etc. A lot of my crazy cool ideas come from this project.

And an absolutely brand new project:
Original Characters +12
This actually overshot my target by a massive margin since I had no idea what I was doing. All I was trying to do was draw something that I have never drawn before. And somehow I ended up with these crazy looking monsters and creatures. Which wasn't really what I was aiming at but I ran with it. Next round I'll be working more on human characters specifically but developing outfits,props,hair,face etc to make them unique and interesting.
But I will definitely revisit the monsters and draw more at some point. It's an incredibly different style to my cute girls, but it was still fun to draw. Especially in an interesting manga, you have to draw a bunch of stuff, so it's all good practice.

In addition to my massive regimes-regime, I have finally gotten myself a confident ballpoint sketching style for comfort zone pieces. I've always sketched at this quality for years, but this is the first time I've consistently been able to do it, sketch after sketch. Partly that's thanks to doing more practice drawing with minimal guidelines, as well as thinking about the drawing I want to make before even drawing the first line on the paper. So I'm hoping to do more of these on my commutes to build up some experience in my traditional medium.
The proportions are still a little too loose for my liking but they're not crazy wrong like they used to be. And the final shading and line quality is very acceptable.

And then thanks to figuring out a nice comfort level quality for ballpoint I somehow also created a new comfort level digital illustration style. I drew this one as a test but it was super casual and I felt that I could have drawn several more to the same quality without much effort. The concept, pose, outfit range is quite limited when working to a comfort zone piece but again, with experience you can increase the range of work you produce. I'm thinking I'd like to do more of these but I dont have any immediate plans since they dont offer much in terms of experience as I'm drawing from my comfort zone. This one had a bit of issue with proportions because I skimped on the guidelines, I'll change that for next time.

Well, that's all folks, as they say.
I'm actually going to take a break from MR until probably the end of the year, just because I'm a bit busy and I want to sort out myself for how I'm learning and my goals and targets for the near future, and I think it's easier for me to do that completely on my own. So I'll see you all around later on. You can always PM me if you want to get in touch.
Onwards and upwards.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:35:07 PM by Suuper-san »