March 29, 2024, 12:54:07 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Sai, Photoshop, Manga studio: what program do you use?  (Read 43049 times)

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Sai, Photoshop, Manga studio: what program do you use?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 03:21:14 AM »
I've always used Manga Studio Debut 4.0, Photoshop, and Illustrator, it's my signature combo!

Recently, I was able to purchase Manga Studio EX at an insanely discounted offer! And I'm loving it!

Vector layers, superior tone control, IMPORTING 3D OBJECTS AND RENDERING THEM RIGHT THERE WITH ACTUAL 3D TOOLS, and godly perspective tools.

Manga Studio EX is one beast of a program for drawing comics. Any coloring/painting is done in Photoshop though, both Debut and EX are poop when it comes to painting.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:38 AM »
It has 3d functionality too!? That's pretty dope

Offline FleetingMischief

• Amateur Manga Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 03:20:42 AM »
Yeah it does but I never use it.

I have a lot to learn and sometimes I feel like I'm slacking. I feel so empty when I don't draw, and full of fire if I do. I hope both feelings never go away.

Offline h_musick

• Lurking...
  • Global Moderator
  • Troll-patrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »
Played around with manga studio, its fun but i have yet to draw ANYTHING that looks half way what i want it to. Am i able to open files in MS so i can ink them and add then to the panles?
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,8367.0.html

"Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything."
- Gustave Flaubert

Offline conero

• I wrecked these eyes readin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 04:45:46 AM »
Painter 12 - my favourite drawing program, nothing beats it in texture, drawings also look natural as opposed to digitally looking etc, I don't use it for cel-shade stuff though.
Photoshop CS3 - for cel-shade and all other quirky things, like formating, typefaces, placing shapes and logos into illustrations
Inkscape - used to make logos and designs intended to be scaled and placed into illustrations (opensource program like illustrator)
Manga Studio 4 EX - toning mainly, oddly I prefer Painter 12 to ink with over MS, I'm trying to convert though  :D
Sai - for random doodles and warmups, it's stupid fast!

I also use Xpadder and DS3 Tool so I can use Sony's Playstation Nav controller as a tool selector, like D-Pad UP = zoom in, D-Pad DOWN = zoom out, analogue stick controls brush size, home button is ctrl+s, L2 Trigger is eyedropper tool and L1 is move tool, etc.  :D :D

Played around with manga studio, its fun but i have yet to draw ANYTHING that looks half way what i want it to. Am i able to open files in MS so i can ink them and add then to the panles?

You can go to File > Import to open files into MS for inking, at least that's what I do (I use Image).  :thumbsup:

Offline h_musick

• Lurking...
  • Global Moderator
  • Troll-patrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »
*grumble grumble* ANOTHER programe? REALLY? LOL
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,8367.0.html

"Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything."
- Gustave Flaubert

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
so far i use gimp quite well, although i use it mostly to fix up photos and stuff, i havnt drawn much manga in it. i do plan to though, it seems quite pleasant to use, and compared to PS its free which makes it better for someone with no money :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Austadophilus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »
I use Manga Studio the most. I have 4 EX and 5. I love the pencil tools and the inking vector stuff. I also use Sai occasionally to dabble in color, but I'm not that good at it. XD

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
I use Anime Studio Pro for my work, but i find I'm virtually the only one here who uses it. It makes me curious what manga studio is really like.

Offline vasili

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »

Mangastudio is standard software for B&W work ,i use it as a main program to finish manga work but you still need to use Photoshop to do final retouch and add some text.
  CG software that i use is illust studio , fully link with mangastudio with all tool that nesesary for CG painting.
---- Just draw alot -----

Offline TiNoSa

• FanArtist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
It seems a lot of people here use Manga Studio ^^
I don't get along well with it, but sometimes I use it because of some brushes it has (Kabura and G Pen), which allow you to make a nice lineart with noticeable pen pressure if you have a tablet. I just don't like the eraser very much, it erases differently if compared to Photoshop's eraser, which I'm more used to.

My favorite software for doing everything (sketching, lineart, coloring, editing) is Photoshop Elements 8. Althought I believe it's meant for photo editing, it's very similar to CS versions of PS, but it lacks some functions (gifs, pen tool and advanced brush properties, for example). But considering my linearts are made by hand, and not vectors, the pen tool is not necessary in my case, and when I'm not experimenting with different styles of coloring which would require a custom brush, I use the basic solid brush, so it's not a problem to cel shade =)

I also use other programs, but less frequently. Anyway, Photoshop Elements is my favorite and I'm very used to it's interface already :D

Offline IronQuill

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:13 PM »
im using sai and a wacom medium intuous tablet, while im loving what sai can achieve, more and more i see manga studio popping up, im still deciding if i should get it or not.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
Hmm paint tool sai. It's line art is still a favourite of mine. But in the end i need a heavy duty software of sorts. Either GIMP or photoshop

@ Tino Photoshop elements huh. I guess in the end different people use different software.

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
I used to use GIMP, but now I use FireAlpaca... I like FireAlpaca a lot better. It's supposed to be a lot like Sai, and it's... FREE! xD

I only use free programs right now... I didn't want to buy a  program until I got a drawing tablet. Which I got one this year! :3

Now I want Sai and Manga Studio. ^-^

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 02:21:48 AM »
Ironically, my uncle is an artist and he gave me one of his old Macs to use with an Adobe CS5 package pre-installed for me. I wish I could get up the courage to try Illustrator, but I've seen so many people use Photoshop, so that's what I stick to.
Haha signature go brr.