April 17, 2024, 08:23:38 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 320284 times)

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1365 on: June 30, 2015, 07:27:03 AM »
I mention harem before, I always tend to avoid any anime that has it to the max like with SAO's second arc for example which made me dislike the anime and lowered my expectations, I do see other people mostly dislike it too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:30:21 AM by SwordHero16 »

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 30, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
Bad directions writers and animators must have to avoid to not disappoint and lose fans. I've felt disappointed in some anime and manga I used to like before it went to a direction that I really dislike about.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 30, 2015, 07:43:28 AM »
Honestly I've never watched SAO before (*gasp*  :o ), but I had my doubts about the story to begin with. Still, I doubt I'll rule the series out completely (until I get over my personal conscience barrier...   :glare:) despite the distaste toward the series's development. Harems do play a large role in romance anime, so if you're into those types, expect lots of conflict and drama over who-gets-who (Secretly I'm more for the harem route. It solves every problem!  :push: )

With that topic in mind, what do you guys believe is the most ideal story for you? The greatest story you would ever want to watch or read about? It can be an actual series such as Naruto or Fullmetal Alchemist, or a general concept, like your own stories. Whatever illustrates your idea of the "greatest story ever"   :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:58:42 AM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 30, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »
I thought of One Piece since it's the best selling manga with a great storyline and lot of likeable and hateable characters and is almost to 800 chapters. I do see flaws in it, mostly Oda dragging some arcs like Fishman Island and Dressrosa which some chapters are just filer that no one wants to see and instead wants to see the arcs end and move on to another new setting.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:54:03 AM by SwordHero16 »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »
With that topic in mind, what do you guys believe is the most ideal story for you? The greatest story you would ever want to watch or read about? It can be an actual series such as Naruto or Fullmetal Alchemist, or a general concept. Whatever illustrates your idea of the "greatest story ever"   :D

Geez what a question :P I don't think I actually have one...

There are definitely stories that I love though, for various different reasons, and that I am greatly inspired by. For instance I love the story and the background story in the DS game "The World Ends With You", and I have to stop myself trying to be influenced so much by it.

I also really like the story of Sirius Amory, as part of Claudio Sanchez's "The Amory Wars" universe and the subject of Coheed and Cambria's double album "The Afterman".

Then on TV I have "Vikings" and "Black Sails", which story-wise I consider truly epic, GOT can go eat it's heart out :P

As for manga and anime I'd have to say that story-wise I don't think any are even close to being the greatest story I will ever read or watch. Code Geass is one of the few where I think the story itself is actually very very good.

The thing is, what I find entertaining and enjoy doesn't really always correlate into great stories... I would love to say series like Barakamon, Shokugeki no Soma, Reborn! etc... but I just cant  :(

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 30, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »
I thought Black Sails wasn't good. I must continue watching it then

As far as greatest stories go though there are so many mediums to relate a story that I can't just choose one. True detective season 1 had a brillaint story, and Harry Potter I'll definitely reread because of how timeless it is

The hard sci fi of the old greats like Greg Bear, Arthur C Clarke and Isaac Asimov tended to have no flowery language and pretty one dimensional characters who were more often than not passive observers of the wonders of space and the like, but their narratives were also amazing and entertaining.

Anime wise it's pretty easy to think of them. So many to go on. But something like Gureen Lagaan I say also has the characteristics of an ideal story despite it's over the top action and the like.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
I thought Black Sails wasn't good. I must continue watching it then

It's freakin awesome dude! But then I really like Pirate stories... but the plot twists! THE PLOT TWISTS!!! Season 2 is much better than season 1 too.

and Harry Potter I'll definitely reread because of how timeless it is

NO!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
Fool, do not dare disrespect The Boy Who Lived! In fact I shall buy the whole collection this year, because I can't read that book digitally. From things as non relevant like font to the matter of fact narrative style, I truly enjoyed those books. And it just keeps on getting better till the end

Offline Akane

• Hermit
  • All suffering is caused by one's incompetence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 30, 2015, 08:27:43 AM »
I prefer stories that destroy the concept of right and wrong. Like Kurosh¡tsuji, despite all the disturbing fanservice, I liked the fact that no cause was 100% just. And Magi as well.

I never really liked Harry Potter since the MC seemed way too emotionless and Mary-Sueish. I could'nt really connect with the series.
Hidden.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:22 AM »
Hehehe, I love the baffled replies I'm getting from that question. I ask for the most ideal story and instead I'm given a bucketlist of what people consider good stories  :D

Now, after giving your general idea of what you consider a "good story or stories", what kind of story would you create that would account for everything you love about the story yet fill/fix the "flaws & dislikes" about that story?

Furthermore, would you consider yourself more as a creator or a spectator? Are you the type that would rather experience the story or the type that would rather build the story to your own liking?

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 30, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
Furthermore, would you consider yourself more as a creator or a spectator? Are you the type that would rather experience the story or the type that would rather build the story to your own liking?

I'm definitely more the latter... although when it comes to games I much prefer sandbox style games or games where you can forge your own story e.g. Skyrim and Civ V.

But I enjoy consuming good stories that other people create, and I enjoy consuming bad stories so that I can rip into them in satirical reviews.

Still it's always good to do something creative also, so writing and playing music does that for me.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 30, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »
I played Persona 2, 3 and 4, I cannot wait for the fifth title this year. I hope the game will be darker, I honestly thought the cheery parts in 4 were a con in my view as it took away the dark feeling of the Megami Tensei games as they were meant to be dark.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
Hey, games count as stories, so it's all fair game here!  :D

*ba dum tss*

... I'll go show myself out now.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:50 AM »
Uh no, I meant about the writing and mood of the game that took away the serious feeling that the metaseries were known for. I usually don't like a mostly lighthearted part in a series that is known to be dark to the soul (though regardless I fully enjoyed P4 for it's truth theme and characters).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:11:31 AM by SwordHero16 »