April 18, 2024, 07:52:51 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 320351 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #960 on: September 24, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
Hahaha yeah

Oh and the attention thing is hard to get over >.> Always takes you a while to know how it's done.

Newbie: I shall now join this manga forum and post my stories and i'll get all feedback because me me me it'll be AWESOME!

Vet:  :sheep:

@ Shiratori Haha, unless you're joined at the hip it's not really feasible that one in a relationship is always next to the other. There's got to be small moments of relative freedom. Let's say someone is so super busy they have like only 10 minutes legitimate 'them' time. That 10 minutes is a lot even with writing. That's 50 minutes in 5 days! Muhuhaha... Haha?

Anyways with how precious such time would be you would definitely pay attention and do what you can to be at your best. I've discovered routine is the way to get things done better, not short massive bursts of productivity

I like writing 2 stories at the
I mean, I love writing, it's a lot of fun. But revising it and making it presentable, all that is very hard and boring work. So why am going through that? Anyone feels the same?

This is exactly what I was talking about recently. Sort of thought I was the only one having that issue. I mean even I would get tired of a harry potter book if I had to read through it like 10 times to pick out any grammatical issues. Tis why Editors are hired that's for sure.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 24, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
It's true man, I find the more busy your work/educational/social schedule is, the more efficiently you organise your time. When balancing work and keeping the missus happy, my free time becomes more precious to me and I'm more inclined to be more productive with it.

Offline Pavo

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 24, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
Well I finally after two weeks of pause started writing new chapter for my main project. Although I sometimes have trouble with "filling up" the chapter. And I also get no feedback on it, so that's a bit disheartening. But once I get to good part of the story, that should change.
However I was writing one one-shot manga in meantime.
And since I'm story writer for the game I'm working on I had to write that too. And problem with that is that it's about time traveling and I developed my own concept of what happens with changing history. Now I have to write down how all that works so I could explain to others who participate in making of it.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 24, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
Yikes I got lost there. You have a bunch of things to write it seems, and yeah no feedback sucks like heck. Maybe fiddle with the font and stuff? Walls of text are ridiculously intimidating. Also, 'do unto others as you would want them to do unto you' ... Like a boss. It's cheap to think of it as 'if I comment then i'll get a comment in return' but it's a generally productive attitude to have especially around the forums.

@Vacant hmmm so it's confirmed. haha and you do have a lot of work written to prove that. Needs more feedback tho >.>

I also hear the significant other can be a good critique if you bother them. Stephen King's wife apparently shows him no mercy when she critiques and he enjoys it haha.

Offline Pavo

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 24, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
Yikes I got lost there. You have a bunch of things to write it seems, and yeah no feedback sucks like heck. Maybe fiddle with the font and stuff? Walls of text are ridiculously intimidating. Also, 'do unto others as you would want them to do unto you' ... Like a boss. It's cheap to think of it as 'if I comment then i'll get a comment in return' but it's a generally productive attitude to have especially around the forums.

@Vacant hmmm so it's confirmed. haha and you do have a lot of work written to prove that. Needs more feedback tho >.>

I also hear the significant other can be a good critique if you bother them. Stephen King's wife apparently shows him no mercy when she critiques and he enjoys it haha.
it's true that I haven't given any feedback to others, but that's because I didn't actually have much time to read through some stories.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 24, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »
@ Coryn Man the way I'll get into Destiny as soon as I have the chance. You think it'll be around in a year Coryn? Reading mixed reviews about it.

potentially. but that's besides the fact that we don't own the same consoles

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 24, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Haha I don't own a console in the first place. I'll need to buy one soon though. PS4 is looking very friendly at the moment

Offline Shiratori

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 24, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
This is exactly what I was talking about recently. Sort of thought I was the only one having that issue. I mean even I would get tired of a harry potter book if I had to read through it like 10 times to pick out any grammatical issues. Tis why Editors are hired that's for sure.
Someone who understands me.  ;D I sure must have re-read my work around 10. I re-read a chapter as soon as I finish it. And then again when I finish a set of 4~5 chapters. And then again and again after the whole thing is done. First couple of times, it doesn't hurt at all. In fact, when I re-read the whole thing the first time (that means, the 3rd or 4th time already), I enjoy it a lot. But then the 5th time, then the 6th....  :bored:

About the lack of feedback... I'm getting used to it by now. I still go to my mail to see if I got a notification a lot of times a day and everytime: no new mail. But oh well... I'm trying to advertise it in a lot of forums out there. Of course I don't create a topic and run, and I've been making a lot of friends, so that's good per se even if I don't have many readers. And yes, I sometimes read other people's works in an attempt to make them read mine :sure: What I dislike in reading other people's works is that they usually never end their stories... and the fact that everyone is doing magic/fantasy/supernatural/superpowers/fighting stories and I'm kinda tired of those genres  :push: But I found many talatend writers out there, if only they were given a chance...

The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »
Haha, I know how frustrating stories that just peter out and die are >..>

But powers! And swords! And explosions and stuff!

Haha yeah things can get tired in a genre, but I think so long as the characters are done well they can work out in any common genre.

Offline Lovus Eternius

• I'm just a writer.
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »
Note to console-wanters: Playstation Controllers never changed... still annoying when you strafe right and look left at the same time.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »
Man their design has always annoyed me haha

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
I need to get back to the grindstone writing. I'm just so tired all the time. I don't even do much in a day. Scratch that. I actually do a lot of music everyday, but it feels like wasting time more than work. I suppose that's a good thing, though.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:53:06 PM by Paipis »

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 25, 2014, 07:37:17 PM »
Don't! it's for your own good >..> This addiction must be curbed. Be faithful to the stories you have already written!

Writers Anonymous

Hi, I'm Lego, and I have a writing problem.

"Hi Lego!"

Haha, fallout-inspired huh. I really want to play that game. What ideas were you having for that one?

Dunno, I'm just going for something straight forward this time. It's about a young woman who's city relies on fishing to get by in the wasteland, but pollution from an unknown source kills her parents and makes most of the people sick. Being one of the only people still healthy from the ordeal, she's put in a raffle where she ends up tasked to finding help out in the wasteland (Maybe some doctor or loot a hospital). It's a bit bare at the moment, so nothing great.

But now I'm getting the urge to write another story... urrrrgghhh

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Words on a page are gonna happen tonight.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 25, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »
I tell myself that every night but... T_T