March 29, 2024, 04:35:29 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Some advice to writers  (Read 5729 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Some advice to writers
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
Well, i don't have much to share, but so far its been something i noticed in many manga literature scripts that i have gone through. I haven't arranged anything in terms of importance so if the tips i share come in a random garble forgive me.

1. Whenever writing i've noticed that people are fond of making their characters scream/swear out whatever they say or exclaim, and in the end most of the script looks like a swear fest. E.g:

"What the hell!!!!?" He screamed.

"Nothing! None of your business!!!" She replied.

And what follows is a flood of swear words and common lines that obviously tried to make the script sound more mature and cooler, but i must tell all writers to avoid that. The best story would be one where a writer could only write dialogue without mentioning who speaks without confusing anyone, but of course, this is impossible in my opinion.

2. This is a plague that even i am not completely cured of, and which you should be aware of.

I know many writers feel that they just HAVE to write after watching an awesome action scene on an anime/manga, what usually follows is a plotless, thin story that only concentrates on techniques and blood flying. This is not how a story is built, you don't just start a story with a showy bang unless you have to. When you start a story, its important that you have your characters in mind and a basic idea of how the story will progress.

Yes, action makes a story entertaining but the true soul of manga/anime [at least, in my opinion] is the artistic poetry and ideas shared through characters. Their feelings, the dialogue, and then finally, their actions. You can't just give your protagonist a pair of handguns and make him do slo-mo flips and expect everyone to say 'wow!'

For those addicted to it, it takes some conditioning to avoid putting useless action in a story, a good idea to develop plots is to discuss it with other people [Here, for instance.], go over it carefully on a notepad or even talk to yourself. I've occasionally found myself coming up with good dialogue, and even sometimes i looked forward to ending the action scene because i came up with a few sensible lines or two.

3. Be Dedicated to your writing, and even so, Expect failure. To all writers [And myself] no one will get anywhere if they expect to just sit around for the whole week, get an idea and write a little here or there and suddenly get acknowledged. No. There are times when you actually have to get serious with your writing and refuse yourself that break, that precious sleeping time, and most importantly, endure whenever you get trashed. Its been a long year for me, and i've finally spotted the fruits of my work, and thats after quite a few rejections and ignores.

4. If your constantly depressed, annoyed, stressed whenever you write, find yourself always chewing paper and cussing, then maybe you have to change genre. I found myself struggling to write deep sci-fi, but in truth i don't have the technical details for it. Even if your not experiencing any troubles, its good to decide which genre interests you best. Its possible to write many different stories, but having a special field pays off.

5. If you act like a lone wolf when writing, you usually die. I found myself thinking i'm on top of the world one time, and wasn't even researching or regarding my friends comments about my stories, and i had a horrific month of critiscism. I almost quit writing until i decided to follow advice, however annoying it seemed. It turned out okay. Its hard to admit defeat, i know, but its worth it.

This is all the random advice i have to share for now. Hope it helps.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice to writers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »
some good advice for the newbies though

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline xjan214

• I love Utau! Too bad she's not real...*sigh*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:52:42 PM »
These are pretty good advices.

Actually, I'm one of those addicted to actiony scenes. My stories all contain battles, at least one in each chapter. But I have to agree that fighting isn't the true soul of an anime/manga - there's a reason behind every battle and a lesson learned in each fight. In my stories, the fights give valuable lessons to my characters, such as strengthening the team's bonds or giving hints as to why the villains do horrible things.

I agree that to succeed in the writing business, you have to be dedicated. And dedication is something that I lack, especially when new ideas sprang in my min and I have to leave the old stories so I could pave way for the new one. But hopefully, I can overcome this shortcoming.

As for genres, I always thought I could write good shounen mangas, but quite the opposite. As a person who likes to impress girls, I found out that shoujo mangas are for me and that they interest me in a way that I can make my female friends pester me so that I'll tell them next scenes of the story I'm writing. But as an actiony writer who wants to put some masculinity in my stories, I usually make the heroines fight. So I found myself in the "magical girl" genre where there's enough action to keep the guys and enough romance to make the girls scream for more. I strongly believe that a writer should find the appropriate genre for him/her. :D

It looks like I pretty much droned on and on. :D But anyway, nice tips you've got there. :D
Now watching: 11 Eyes, Yumeiro Patissiere,.......

Now reading: Shugo Chara,.........
 Now writing: I am a Teenage Goddess Chapter 3......  Now looking for : A good Christmas present!!!...........

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:39:38 AM »
@xjan

Nah, droning is what is needed if we want to know what others are thinking. Thanks for the compliments, and you seem to basically share the same problems that i do, plus a few. [Who doesn't suffer from new ideas surfacing at the most inopportune moments?] Maybe i'll check out your works. Oh and though action shouldn't be overused or empty, i have to admit its what drew me to the genre in the first place. Incantations and flashy scenes are so awesome in manga/anime.

So you like to impress girls huh? Good luck with that. I gave up long loooong ago.

Offline xjan214

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:23:44 AM »
I impress girls in a good way. :angel:

Actually, the female manga-loving population is easy to break into as long as you keep them satisfied with heart-warming and corny but romantic scenes and of course, good-looking male characters. But girls are very distinct though and they have different preferences, so it also depends.

And flashy scenes, I'd say, are one of the things I like to have in my works. As well as incantations and magic words and catchphrases. Most magical girl animes and mangas have them. :D

Now writing: I am a Teenage Goddess Chapter 3......  Now looking for : A good Christmas present!!!...........

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »
Well, maybe you'll give me one or two hints in describing anime/manga girls. As of now i suck at describing female characters, but i'll get there.

Offline xjan214

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:00:21 AM »
I can see what you mean, female characters are quite difficult to describe. For me, I differentiate different female characters through the length, color and style of their hair, their eyes and lips. Clothes also help. As for personalities, there are stereotypes, but you shouldn't stereotype characters to make them more real-like. :D

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:27:47 AM »
Ahem, i finally have the courage to ask: Whats a stereotype? I'm tired of nodding my head like an idiot as though i understand whenever my friends mention the word in conversation.

And its okay if i jot down your tips? Thanks!

Offline Maxite

• The Insane One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:17 AM »
Ahem, i finally have the courage to ask: Whats a stereotype? I'm tired of nodding my head like an idiot as though i understand whenever my friends mention the word in conversation.

And its okay if i jot down your tips? Thanks!

A stereotype is a certain type of characterization that isn't always based on reality. For example, here in America, there are some stereotypes about people of African descent that they're poor, smell bad, like rap, and indulge in violence and drugs. If you read modern American literature, or even watch American TV, you'll see "Gangster Blacks."

Stereotyping is a poor skill to utilize in real life, but it can be a good one to use for writing. It gives you quick access to various characters. The Shy Girl. The Tsundere. The Comic Foil.
Look at characters in anime. If you are well versed in anime, you'll start making connections between various characters, because they follow very similar personalities, and in many cases, similar character designs. Compare Rei Ayanami from Evangelion with Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Shy, quiet, and strange girls with short hair.

Anyways, onto the meat and potatoes of this post.

1. Whenever writing i've noticed that people are fond of making their characters scream/swear out whatever they say or exclaim, and in the end most of the script looks like a swear fest.

Everything in moderation. I am aware of a book that exists somewhere out there which has a swear word in every sentence. However, it was written more as a challenge than as an attempt at literary mastery.

Just follow some basic guidelines on when to use swearing:
1. Exclamations.
2. Surprise/shock/astonishment
3. The very obvious anger issues
4. Emphasis. Swear words stand out a lot, and used properly, can emphasize an idea. "We're all going to die!" can be made to sound more important and urgent if you have the right character say "We're all going to *censored*ing die!"

Don't throw in swear words, and don't abuse them. Just like there are certain teenage girls who like to abuse the word "like." Who hasn't heard, or even read, a sentence that goes like this: "So I was like eating a sandwhich when like this totally hot guy came over and like, sat down next to me!"

In short, don't overuse words. Especially swear words.

I know many writers feel that they just HAVE to write after watching an awesome action scene on an anime/manga, what usually follows is a plotless, thin story that only concentrates on techniques and blood flying. This is not how a story is built, you don't just start a story with a showy bang unless you have to. When you start a story, its important that you have your characters in mind and a basic idea of how the story will progress.

Ah yes. Who hasn't watched an awesome action scene and written a story based on it?
Oh wait, I haven't. Action animes aren't my cup of tea. Now if you had changed that to said "Feel like they just have to write something after watching an awesome romantic scene...", but I digress.

Honestly though, when writing a story, we write what is interesting. When we are forced to wallow through writing boring stuff, we slow down. We want to get to that next part where all the action is, be it blood flying or girls kissing.

And the truth of the matter is: You can. You can put that pencil down on that boring chapter, and go write that awesome, exciting chapter. And once you're done writing that super awesome, exciting chapter, and gotten all pumped up, use that energy to go back and finish writing that boring chapter. You now even have the ability to put in some very interesting foreshadowing now.

However, if you're just writing that one action scene, there is something that we call that: Fanfic.

3. Be Dedicated to your writing, and even so, Expect failure. To all writers [And myself] no one will get anywhere if they expect to just sit around for the whole week, get an idea and write a little here or there and suddenly get acknowledged. No. There are times when you actually have to get serious with your writing and refuse yourself that break, that precious sleeping time, and most importantly, endure whenever you get trashed. Its been a long year for me, and i've finally spotted the fruits of my work, and thats after quite a few rejections and ignores.

Some good ideas mixed in with some seriously bad advice.

Here's a rule for you: You need to eat, sleep, drink, and piss. If you have satisfied those drives, only then should you satisfy your creative needs. A dead writer doesn't contribute much, and neither does a sick writer for that matter.

As far as letting ideas sit around: There are times when that is good, and times when that is bad. Currently on my back burner is an entire saga of stories. In the time I've had it on the back burner, I have explored that world in my mind in so many different ways, that I have a fuller idea of what will happen. I know who the characters are, what they like, and a full list of motivations. If I had started writing earlier, my story would have been nice, but it wouldn't have been as rich.

Right now, I'm writing Reverie. I'm in a bit of a slow part, and the next part will be slow as well, but I know there will be some awesome parts in the future. As I slowly write through it, paragraph by paragraph, I think ahead to the future. When I'm at lunch, I think of the story and contemplate its direction. How do I want the characters to be? To act? Do I want an old character to return, or should I create a new one? I run these questions through my mind constantly, and try new ideas out in my mind. I want to create the best story I can.

That said, my story writing is currently in hiatus. I have bigger issues to focus on, like finals this week. My story and my ideas will wait for me for when I do have the time to devote myself, and they will be better because I did.

The next part that you mention is criticism: Welcome to the real world! If you get your story published, you will have people criticizing your story so much it won't be funny. You'll find fans, you'll find detractors, you'll even find a few crazy people who might start building a shrine for you in their closet. Be like the grass: Firm, but flexible.

4. If your constantly depressed, annoyed, stressed whenever you write, find yourself always chewing paper and cussing, then maybe you have to change genre. I found myself struggling to write deep sci-fi, but in truth i don't have the technical details for it. Even if your not experiencing any troubles, its good to decide which genre interests you best. Its possible to write many different stories, but having a special field pays off.

I'm not sure that I agree with you here. I intentionally write alternative stories to explore new genres, and I can't say that I found myself frustrated, annoyed, depressed, or any of the other foul moods you described. It's sound more like the fact that you hate the story. I have come up with some horrible ideas for stories, and at some point I abandoned trying to write them.

As far as knowing what genres you like the best, that is very good advice. My strongest genres for writing are: Romance, Tragedy, and Fantasy. But I have dabbled in Comedy/Parody/Satire, Sci-Fi, Action/Adventure, Adult, and many other genres. They were all good exercises. I'd suggest everyone who wants to be a writer to take the odd time here and there and write a short story in a different genre than what you are accustomed to.

As far as genres in which you are unfamiliar with, there are many literary tricks in place to mask lack of technical knowledge. Barring that, many good writers utilize books, the internet, and even professionals as resources for technical details if they so need it. If you are writing a technical story, then Wolfram Alpha is a very good resource. I've gotten estimates on the size of the universe from it, which is useful if you're writing a space drama.

5. If you act like a lone wolf when writing, you usually die. I found myself thinking i'm on top of the world one time, and wasn't even researching or regarding my friends comments about my stories, and i had a horrific month of critiscism. I almost quit writing until i decided to follow advice, however annoying it seemed. It turned out okay. Its hard to admit defeat, i know, but its worth it.

Be humble, and others will be apt to humble you.

The creative community is a very vicious community to be a part of. There is a lot of competition, and as such the best way to secure help is to partner up with others and help each other. There are lone wolves, certainly, but as you pointed out, they are frowned upon somewhat.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:57:06 AM »
Oh, so thats what a stereotype is. Yep, i generally use them a lot, its better that i know the name for them. I used to call them 'cliche characters'

Some good ideas mixed in with some seriously bad advice.

Here's a rule for you: You need to eat, sleep, drink, and piss...

Well, i understand the meaning of the rest of the statement, but the introduction's harshness isn't really called I specifically stated: "There are times when you have to get serious with your writing." I only meant on occasion. Of course it'd be insane to deny yourself the necessities of life for long periods of time. And i didn't suggest writers deprive themselves of a toilet break or snack. [Let alone forget to sleep for two days straight.]

I'm not sure that I agree with you here. I intentionally write alternative stories to explore new genres, and I can't say that I found myself frustrated, annoyed, depressed, or any of the other foul moods you described.

You might have missed the hypothetical tone i employed when i wrote the statement. I specifically said "IF your constantly depressed, annoyed..." I wasn't stating it as a constant fact. There are plenty of people who juggle multiple genres when writing a story, they even go as far as having more than one major field of expertise.

However i agree with your other sentiments. I can't say i've heard of Wolfram Alpha, but maybe i'll check it out.

I'm thankful for the other insightful comments that have improved upon my post. They make the 'meat and potatoes' that much more filling. They'll help quite alot.

Offline animeABC

• Laughter is the best medicine! So SMILE!! ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »
It's really a good advice thanks for that.
I'm going to be a future mangaka!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
You're welcome animeABC