February 27, 2024, 04:28:12 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Chit Chat 2024  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Chit Chat 2024
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2024, 02:06:49 PM »
you want to include your friends in the silly story you're writing.
Couldn't have put it better myself!!!!

I definitely will write something myself at some point, but it's a back burner project for sure.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 05:54:41 PM »
High Canon Priest Coryn! So it's like those fanfictions.

If i were to try it I'll pay a bit more attention to characters involved. It's probably a weird thing i picked up where i align people's behaviors to core motivations of human needs and wants but there are its limitations as i can't grasp fully who they are through forum posts.

I would check out the MR canon titles and there many blood sweat laughter was shed.

Canon writing is also good writing practice and it would make members feel more engaged.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 01:32:01 PM »
It definitely helps engagement. Honestly the main flaw I personally (and I'm sure others) fell into was that it's easy to let the fun side project turn into the main project, while your other works just languish. It's the main reason I put down War Arc.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 04:03:06 PM »
I could see that happening. It's easy to get lost in the sauce e.g MR Canons, other sauces. I wonder if its because our own writing projects don't feel as fun as them. we really want to enjoy our work but it's not all fun and many good things aren't fun.

One major thing i learnt to help with writing is write something that you would enjoy writing. It would suck to get stuck with a project that isn't enjoyable. It would take the edge of the pursuit of creativity and the burn of production. Maybe after you'll look at your bags under your eyes and sore fingertips from typing/writing and say "My suffering was worth it". Even that advice is slim especially when trying to maintain your drive to keep writing purposefully (i.e not just haphazardly writing but with relevance and relation to your genre/summary/concepts etc)

Progress Report for last story:

For my current story about religion/monks I've reached the ending for the fight scene and power system. It's wrong of me i wonder if the leave the power system last. It's somewhat tricky to apply one to the world because you want to make it relevant (like other story elements) to the story and not just some random cool thing i like.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 04:06:32 PM by Nabe Man »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2024, 05:27:33 AM »
Yeah making sure you enjoy your work is a tough one, because there will always be elements that you dont like that you have to add that make the story balanced. In an art sense, to me it's like drawing lampposts in a background shot. I really don't want to do it, but the shot needs it so I have to do it. But if you can enjoy the most of it then you're doing good I think.

When it comes to writing power systems, especially in a one-shot, probably simple is better. If it's similar to already existing power systems then you can leave out some explanation, or write it in small snippets in the story, i.e. "My wand's broken! I can't cast the spell!" automatically implies that the wands are crucial to the magic system, so you don't need to explain it outright. That sort of thing.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 02:54:35 PM »
I agree with you. Simple is always better for power systems. I also prefer the "show, don't tell" that you mention. I aim for at least an 80:20 ratio roughly. It's better to make it feel like it's part of the world or at least understood and accepted as such. Maybe I do the power system last because I need to have a good understanding of the world before I assign an ability or power to it. Also, I try to envision its evolution after chapter 1 / Oneshot.

I could understand the example with the lamp post. That explains how I've been seeing a lot of manga panels where they don't add a background and just the expressions or interaction of characters for extra emphasis. (along with not needing to draw the background continuously)

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 11:06:06 AM »
And just like that... Japan's first script writing competition is near it's end. I have finished writing the third title "Enzo's Kimuri ". Tsubaki ban ban was fun to say though.

I have taken the day to edit. I am counting down the hours and reminiscing. It feels good to do a competition that is pushing you in the right direction of your dream. It doesn't even feel real to this day, 31st January 2024.

Its some very emotional stuff. I had to deal with those inner demons and outer demons. I had to put in the hyper drive but glad I did.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2024, 11:33:08 AM »
epic stuff, well done!!!
on to the next big thing XD

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 03:13:24 PM »
Haha. That sounds like that diligent side of you! The next big thing? I wonder what is that. Joining the competition was already a BIG thing. I guess it would be winning ahahah. My fingers are crossed.

In the meantime after I take a day to refresh I will fill up a data book just for the titles. I'll also explore newer stories to do for the next round if all i win is experience. I'm trying to keep a balanced head. I would have like some other raiders on board for the competition but not everyone saw it as a goal or maybe not a goal right now.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 06:02:29 PM »
yeah I might have joined myself if timing had been better, although I'd prefer an art competition to a writing one.

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2024, 12:28:05 PM »
I see. I see. Im not completely closed off to a drawing one. My hands are unsteady like crazy though. If I do manage to win it would be great to be around professional artists and stuff. Maybe give me shortcuts to art.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 04:30:24 PM by Nabe Man »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2024, 04:21:27 PM »
ehehehe I think the best shortcut to good art is just drawing a lot :P
But having expert advice is very useful so I certainly wouldn't turn it down XD

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2024, 04:31:11 PM »
Sound advice indeed  :blush: :blush: