February 27, 2024, 02:32:03 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Japan's first script writing competition  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
Japan's first script writing competition
« on: October 26, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »
Yes, yes thats right! I was surprised too. A manga magazine has made it possible for writers to submit a chapter of a script in any genre for a chance of it being draawn by professionals and published. Finally something for writers to look forward to right?

Submission is between November this year and february next year!! So there's still time. Results will be in May next year..

GOOGLE - Silent writers audition for more info on this. The name of the competition is silent manga audition but they calling this competiton Script writing audition (SWA)

P.S I wasnt gonna gate keep this  :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 10:49:28 PM by Nabe Man »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Japan's first script writing competition
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 11:38:01 AM »
Ah yes I've seen the silent manga competition before which is always interesting, never entered myself.
A script version is quite an interesting take, but since often the art is what can make or break the story (especially with a silent manga which is show-not-tell to the extreme), I wonder what a good script looks like in the first place...
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 03:06:44 PM »
Interesting perspective. To some extent id agree with a need for good art but its not the  ultimatum end all for manga. There was this entry that won first prize called SKY SKY. Its art was very simple almost like those charlie brown comics. I think if the art adds appeal to the story you're trying to tell the audience would appreciate it fully even though its quite simple.

Also many gag manga are very simple and appreciated.

Yes the script. They gave instructions as to how they wanted it laid out so that should be enough to wing it I'm hoping ::)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 06:28:42 PM »
yes definitely, simple art styles, and even bad quality art can still tell good stories. Although for me personally, lower quality art is a heavy turn off, perhaps because I am interested more in the art-side. Good expressive faces are a must, no matter the art style.

I meant more "what makes a script good?" rather than the format. Such as is it page by page with panels already laid out, is it the level of detail in the description of the panels, the flow of the story etc.
Because to me, a good script leaves nothing out, but that encroaches on the art side to an extent. So it's how you present your vision of what the end result should look like?
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 11:00:13 PM »
Yeah. when reading there instructions for the script it comes across as we want to know what inspire you so we can give it to our artists to have full artistic control. They also want vivid dialogue more so over novelistic writing making me be more guided towards instructive style writing. it can be somewhat odd.

It has me thinking that being a script writer especially up and coming in that magazine you're gonna have a little voice on anything artistic. I could be wrong but you know regular political things.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 02:19:32 PM »
Oh nice! I hope it goes well enough to repeat each year or so, so that I can enter a script when I actually have time... Plenty of smaller ideas that I'm OK with just writing a short script for and releasing further control over.

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 04:35:21 PM »
That makes sense. I hope it’s continues too. I’m guessing the more people participate the better for those chances.story making process is brain busting.

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 02:02:07 PM »
In an effort to keep this topic relevant and seen i thought to do a food for thought or food for discussion series.

First question (rather basic): Where do I start with writing manga/manga script?

I spent some time meditating on this to try to find something that works for me. People would start with either the plot, character, or with world building. I find that starting with such kind of leaves an inorganic approach to story telling mainly because if you start with those things it comes across as puzzle pieces with a set shape and everything around it must fit.

How I decided to approach it is with concept building. Its taking the time to allow an idea to begin which can connect
all puzzles pieces.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 05:15:05 AM »
I've found at least, it doesn't really matter where you start as long as you put the time and effort into developing it.
Partly your order of design will be what you like doing the most, if you're more on the writing side, you'll lean towards character backstories maybe, but if you lean more artistically, you'll like the world-building side more. Only generally speaking of course.

I personally find that starting from a scene I really want to see works nicely, but I've written or planned stories using so many methods and orders that at least for me, the order or method is far less important than the importance of actually doing the thing.
I use prompt words a lot, random verbs or nouns, adjectives and so on, and that gives me an interesting starting point to try and make a story that combines all the words somehow. Once you have a seedling of an idea and a starting direction, you can change it however you like, even removing the first idea you had in the first place.
Alternately, starting with the genre and reference works that you want your story to be similar to is useful as well. I like the Isekai genre for example, so you can use the genre as a basic format, as a starting point for your story and fill in the blanks to get your starting idea.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 05:18:34 AM by Suuper-san »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 09:35:17 AM »
In the case of writing a short silent manga like for this audition - https://www.manga-audition.com/ - "discovery writing" can be employed to good effect, avoiding getting overly caught up with planning and kick-starting the actual writing process.

Start by imagining a striking or prominent scene - whatever comes into your head first and sticks there. Write down a description of what you imagine. Then use it as a jumping off point to flesh out the story you are telling: What preceded the scene? What is the outcome of the scene? Who are the characters in the scene? Where is the scene taking place?

Spiral out until you find a satisfying beginning and end point for the immediate story, and you can flesh out the world-building as you go, or in one go afterwards. This is similar to the spiral campaign development concept in running TTRPGs. It allows you to start and make tangible progress in the immediately relevant areas, without getting stalled with all the peripheral things.

EDIT: Dammit Suuper! You took the words from my mouth! Started writing this last night but didn't manage to post...

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 03:34:19 PM »
Don’t get me wrong. Anyone can write a story based on any angle. They could start at plot , character development world building, a scene even start at the ending and come all the way to the start. You could imagine the amount of hours days weeks months even years one can be engaged in developing these things.

That’s resources for development that can yield things of merit such as lessons learnt but what always loom over your head “is my story strong enough”. At this point some people would lie to themselves or not.

At this time you may think it needs a little work or a lot of work , it’s not worth the investment or if it is strong enough.

Given the time of trying to submit a written piece by February maybe it could work.

I rather the concept method because right away you can know if your story is strong enough and worth the investment.

For example: I made a statement “I wish I could borrow or dilligence for the day”. This sparked  another concept to add to my possible stories for development. This would be a third addition .

This month is my concept month where I make my concepts and decide which is the strongest that  can save me some time.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 03:46:18 PM »
@Nabe
right away you can know if your story is strong enough and worth the investment.
But you won't necessarily know if the concept is good without executing it? that's an analysis skill that comes with time. Someone with a higher skill level might be able to make a good story from your concept which you thought was a dead end. So execution skill obviously has an effect on outcome. But until you have trained your ability to finalize a story, you won't even know if you can write a story to completion at all.
The thing with experience is that regardless of method, you get faster at telling which ideas will work or not without investing too much time in developing, so again it's just a "do it and you'll get better" regardless of method.
Like there's many approaches to losing weight or gaining muscle. But ultimately all of them work if you stick with them, and none of them work if you don't put the time in.
Having a good starting point is great, but that's not a guarantee you'll end up with a good story because of all the other design factors and skills required.
Working with inspiration for concepts is great and works well, but only in conjunction with the skills to finish off the idea into a final piece.
I wrote quite a bit about working with prompts to come up with quick ideas in my manga tutorial here, which explains more about my workflow for that specific manga:
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,20764.0.html

@NO1SEY ehehehe great minds think alike :P

Also, I think one of the most underrated skills is being able to throw out portions of your work that don't fit with the direction, or making large edits and changes. I think people get used to the story they have so far and to change something big is almost unthinkable, like removing an entire character or changing the setting from medieval to scifi or something.
But the skill to edit freely means you won't hit as many walls in the design process because the entire concept remains fluid. Rather than trying to force several ideas together which really don't go, you're looking for a solution where everything fits neatly, even if it means changing a part that you really liked or spent a lot of time developing.

The Sunken cost fallacy is quite relevant here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 03:49:16 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 04:09:56 PM »
@super if I have to write every story till it’s end to k ow if it’s good.. that would be quite the task I’ve put myself up for.

If I would have to finish a story to tell myself I could finish stories that’s quite  a task I have there.

It’s about choosing in my perspective or your perspective what’s the best to offer.

In some way I’m getting from you there’s no bad stories as anyone experienced can make stories interesting.

I mean it’s coming down to “to each his own”

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2023, 04:27:23 PM »
if I have to write every story till it’s end to k ow if it’s good.. that would be quite the task
Not every story, just a couple, or even just one. Then with that experience you can judge if you can make something good from the concept or not. That's what I meant. Otherwise how will you know what you are capable of if you have never done it?

If I would have to finish a story to tell myself I could finish stories that’s quite  a task I have there.
Not really? once you pick your chosen concept you still have to finish it off and actually write it, so one way or another you'll be writing a story to completion.

In some way I’m getting from you there’s no bad stories as anyone experienced can make stories interesting.
There's no bad concept, yes. There's plenty of bad stories XD
You can reverse engineer this observation from the "badly described film plots" memes. The descriptions are skewed for humour obviously but they are usually not wrong in terms of the plot. So that bad description could have been developed, and the film it described could have been created as a result.
So it's not so much "this is a bad idea", but "how can I make this a good idea?"

I mean it’s coming down to “to each his own”
That's 100% correct :P
My methods won't necessarily work for you and visa versa. But what matters is having a method and using it!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 04:32:50 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Nabe Man

• more daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 06:09:41 PM »
Hmm it seems your style is heavily based on building confidence in the medium of writing. Depending on the level on confidence determines the speed in which you develop. It’s something like looking into your confidence level. Just a lil side inner thought of mine.

You know stuff being projected.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 06:20:37 PM by Nabe Man »