March 29, 2024, 12:58:26 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: It's been two years since I started practicing.  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Wild

• Custom Title; Soon.
    • View Profile
It's been two years since I started practicing.
« on: January 30, 2023, 05:04:32 PM »
It was January 2021 when I first started so I thought to make a tiny celebration by making a thread and posting something.
I'm not looking for critique or anything. I just wanted to post something before January's passing.

The following wasn't even meant to be inked. I was just testing poses and I thought "I'll add this" then "I'll add that" and then "Why not ink it..?". That's why she's missing things (btw, it doesn't count as topless, right?). I still like her though.

The scanner I used isn't really good. I even had to try and turning them into their original size in Paint because it scans them bigger than they are. If i'll manage to use a better scanner, I might scan them and post em again.

I was going to post a couple more but they're not original characters and I saw there's a different board for that.

In case anybody wonders, the inking was made with liquid ink Pilot 0.3 (it was hard to find 0.3 at bookstores but I did it! haha).

EDIT:
One more. Cloud Strife from FFVII:

Like the previous, this too wasn't meant to be inked. It wasn't even meant to be Cloud, I was just practicing perspectives.
So far that's how I do things since I'm trying (and failing) not to neglect things that I should be learning. This will cease though (at least temporary) since there are 2-3 manga pages I want to make.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:51:23 AM by Wild »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: It's been two years since I started practicing.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 10:25:21 AM »
Congrats on sticking to it Wild!

Some of the artists may have a better idea of how to fix your scaling issue. I don't post enough scans to know the best method. :noidea:

As for the fan art board, you can make a topic there if you plan on posting a lot of fan art, but if it's minimal feel free to use this topic as your primary.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Wild

• Custom Title; Soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 11:45:29 AM »
Thank you Coryn!

It might have to do with the machine itself, at least on some level. I'm not happy with the quality of the scans either. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

I'll just post one (I'll edit the OP). I might post one or two more from my early drawings if they can be scanned properly. Like a "before - after" sort of a thing.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:36:18 PM »
awesome stuff, good to see you pop in :P
love the detail on the tree, and I totally get that sudden urge to ink a drawing. it doesn't happen too often, at least for me XD
pretty cool Cloud one, the perspective is spot on!!
I love before and after art comparisons so looking forward to seeing that!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Wild

• Custom Title; Soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 11:02:19 AM »
Thank you Suuper-san!
The urge doesn't come just for the inking, it does for details with the pencil as well (always talking about practice of course). That too has its pros and cons; Practice on the details but distraction from the initial practice. :D

I can't promise about early sketches but I'll see what I can do about it.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 12:15:40 AM »
I lean heavily towards practising the early stages of the illustrations rather than the cleaning up stages, and so far it's worked really well.
As far as motivation goes, sometimes you've just gotta do it without being motivated, like doing a job or something. Once you can push past the feeling of "not feeling like it today", then you can grow much faster :D
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Wild

• Custom Title; Soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 06:02:01 PM »
I do that but I don't really feel I grow from it. Who knows though.

I tried scanning early pencil sketches but I got the same results; Not being much visible. There's a sketch finished with a ballpoint pen but I'm not sure if it's too early or not.
I don't know when and if I'll post it so better not wait for it. I got a boatload of things I need to improve on and several things to figure out.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been mentally off path and I was struggling with that.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 04:31:11 AM »
no worries, sorry to hear it's been a bit difficult for you. Life is so complex that it's hard to make it go smoothly these days.
with pencil sketch scans you may need to increase the contrast using GIMP, Photoshop or some other image editing software to make the lines show more clearly.
hope you can figure out the stuff you're working on!

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 10:51:39 AM »
Personally I think any progress is better than no progress. Even if it isn't your best work, it's better to show what you have now and get some feedback on it than to never show it at all.

That's why for me I'm always looking for feedback in the Community Polls I host in Project Serendetia. I'm usually not the organic-type of writer. I tend to favor stories with more bone and structure, but this project has been a great motivating factor to polish up my storytelling abilities and see where things work and doesn't. I've had some great advice so far, and taking those suggestions to heart definitely brings more flair than I would've otherwise considered  ;)

So by all means, post what you have! It's only embarrassing if you expect people to make fun of your work, and I can definitely assure you that MR is a great place with very easygoing people. We're all amateurs here, so don't worry too much about how things look. Instead, think of it as a stepping stone towards your greater goal of self-improvement and professionalism  8)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »
One trick to get a wonderful looking piece from mediocre scans is to increase contrast with gimp and then vectorize the lines with Inkscape wich turns them solid black and always gives some additional flavour to the ink (and also, you get infinite scale thanks to vector graphics wich you can use to print the result at 300+ DPI)

Here is the scan:

The vectorized:

And the final page:

I think youre mature enough for a bit of rock and roll! Drawing an actual manga and not random ilustrations will put you to the test. Youre going to feel where your limits are much better and maximize the practices gain by focusing on the parts you find the hardest.

If you want a throw away one-shoot to draw just ask, i have like 50 of those.

EDIT: Ups, i missed the part where you wanted to draw some manga pages.

EDIT 2: O - O U
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:11:56 PM by natsu »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 05:15:01 AM »
interesting use of vectorizing, I've only done that a couple of times with my artwork with not much success, at least, it worked but I didn't like how it looked. I might try it again myself sometime.

but I agree with Operative, post away and you'll get great feedback. Noone's going to bash you on MR :P

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 09:35:33 AM »
interesting use of vectorizing, I've only done that a couple of times with my artwork with not much success, at least, it worked but I didn't like how it looked. I might try it again myself sometime.

but I agree with Operative, post away and you'll get great feedback. Noone's going to bash you on MR :P

The best way of tracing inked art is by darkness theshold, not by color reduction. Set the threshold very high (0.850 or more) and dont use it in non-ink work (no pencil or screentone).

Have fun.

Offline natsu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 10:26:48 AM »
A funny story on liquid ink pens: i usually ink with gel ink and my sister bough me two cheap packs of 0.5 water ink pens for a dollar. I tested them on my hand and they where not working so i tested again by drawing a smiling p*enis under my feet. I was wondering if theres any difference between gel ink and water ink so i carefully read the packet, just to find out the water ink ones where indeleble XD.

Have a good day.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »
khahahaha lesson learned XD

Offline Wild

• Custom Title; Soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 03:36:31 PM »
I think I somehow managed to confuse everybody here. My apologies.

I just made this thread to celebrate my two years in drawing. There's no need to worry about anything really.
Still, thank you very much!

Sorry for the confusion.