April 16, 2024, 12:06:34 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: What's the rule on fanservice?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Tenori Tejima

• View Profile
What's the rule on fanservice?
« on: January 17, 2022, 03:15:09 PM »
The forum rule says "think of your average shounen manga." Isn't that...? Isn't shounen kinda fanservice-y?? Even for those without the "ecchi" tag, it still goes pretty beachy/hotspringy at some points. For example, 5-Toubun no Hanayome is a far cry from your boob-grabby ecchi, and so is Kakkou no Iinazuke... But let's not pretend Erika drawn in a nurse outfit, or a teacher outfit, (or even the famous police outfit meme), is meant for "story" reasons.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: What's the rule on fanservice?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:14:50 AM »
True, shounen does have a lot of risque stuff XD
Generally no nudity/gore/language, keeping it PG-13 is the rule here.
If it's on the edge you can put it in a [spoiler]  [/spoiler] tag with a content warning outside of the spoiler.
For more adult content you can post on MangaRaider's sister forum http://www.ecchiworld.com/forums/, but it's quite quiet over there :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:18:06 AM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the rule on fanservice?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 11:43:05 AM »
Extremely quiet...

As a moderator, it's a real "know it when I see it" situation. But use your common sense for stuff. The PG-13 thru R rule is a good framework. nudity is fine, but no genitals. I won't flag you for nipples as long as you use a spoiler tag and give fair warning. Violence is generally fine but gore isn't. I don't care if you're characters (or you) swear, but if you go on a racist tirade there will obviously be consequences.

Above all, just warn people if you think something is beyond the pale. Everyone here is responsible for their own consumption, but don't pull a fast one on someone who isn't suspecting something intense. Trigger warnings are appreciated if you think you got something that could do it.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a hassle on your end. But we aim to be a forum for learners, and that means we deal with a lot of younger folk. Just be cognizant of that and we'll be just dandy.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF