March 29, 2024, 12:35:09 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Hello everyone! 👋 It's Xseos here (X'-SEA- US)  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Xseos

• View Profile
Hello everyone! 👋 It's Xseos here (X'-SEA- US)
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:58:37 AM »
Hi all please call me "X", I  just want to introduce myself a bit properly but not too extensive. I am a Male 32 from NJ USA, I am an artist and writer. Although, I consider myself those things I hold no degrees or expertise in those fields; I simply just love the craft and that's all. Furthermore, I have been working on a book for nearly 8 years, will be coming up with drawing concept ideas, characters and more.

Originally, I had planned for my beloved son Elias to help me do this but unfortunately he passed away a few months ago 08/30/21 before he was born. I take this seriously because it's not just one of my passions but for him aswell,I longed to show him something unique and exciting. So I thought it's best if I try to show others and enjoy the journeys together. Name of my book is " Xseos - The Lone Raven (Book 1) "

My favorite manga of all times is Baki the Grappler, Berserk, and Sun-Ken Rock. My favorite animes are quite a few so I'll say Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion, Gundam Series, Vagabond, Berserk, Baki, Dragon Ball Z, Akira, Guyver and many more....

I hope to share my knowledge and understanding with others and to also enjoy what you guys put out there. I will try my very best to help or advice constructively towards your work, please do the same with mine and by all means please don't hold back "Give me your perspective!" ^_^v

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:24:08 PM by Xseos »
G.N.D

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone! 👋 It's Xseos here (X'-SEA- US)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 02:12:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum X!
Very sorry to hear of your loss, that's so devastating...
I'm more of an artist than a writer but I'm working on a manga myself too :D
Looking forward to seeing you around!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 02:45:14 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I couldn't begin to fathom it. I hope that your book can live up to what you hope it will be.

Pretty much none of us here are professionals. So don't feel like you're missing out by being self taught or that not doing it for a living are putting you at a disadvantage. We're all just putting in the work to make our craft the best it can.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Xseos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 06:30:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum X!
Very sorry to hear of your loss, that's so devastating...
I'm more of an artist than a writer but I'm working on a manga myself too :D
Looking forward to seeing you around!

Thank you so much for your time, and for your kind words. I will be around, I am always working so it's hard at times to log in. I want to check out your art soon!
G.N.D

Offline Xseos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 06:33:01 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I couldn't begin to fathom it. I hope that your book can live up to what you hope it will be.

Pretty much none of us here are professionals. So don't feel like you're missing out by being self taught or that not doing it for a living are putting you at a disadvantage. We're all just putting in the work to make our craft the best it can.

Thank you so much for your kind words for the warm welcome the pleasure is always mine. Let's make the craft the best that it can be!!!
G.N.D

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 08:31:45 PM »
Welcome, newcomer!

And my sincere condolences. It's never easy to lose someone close to you.

I admire your commitment to making your stories come to life, and as someone who has also dabbled in stories for nearly a decade now, I can tell you getting a book together is no simple task. Only recently did I start takomg my writing seriously, and the last two years has taught me much about the process of storytelling.

The #1 rule to any story is to write. Write consistently. Doesn't matter how terrible it is or if you haven't figured out all the details. You have got to write things down. Even if it's a single word a day, some progress is better than no progress, and it's crucial that if you truly are serious about your pursuit, you make a rigorous time and schedule for it.

Like many on the forum, I hold a full-time job, and so when I find free time, I write. 500 words minimum a week, without fail. In a year, you'll finish a story at that pace in no time. At a minimum, novels are 50,000 words, but the real ones are made around the 75k to 150k words. If you're committed at my pace of 500 a week, you're looking between 1-3 years before your first draft is done. But that's the neat part. If you did your homework beforehand, it'll only cost you 3 years, leaving the story to minor revisions. If you didn't, expect another 3 years. It's a long, tedious grind, and there's no guarantee it'll be successful. However, if you put in the time and effort, you'll see your investments soar.

My door is always open. If you need any advice, or if you happen to need some editors or artists, I have a good team behind me willing to support you on that journey. Just reach out and PM me, and I'll be available.

Other than that, I look forward to your contributions here!

- Op
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 03:43:45 AM »
@Operative that's some nice writing advice I think I'll borrow some of that :P
when you say "doing your homework", you mean planning before you write so that you're pretty close with the first revision instead of being wildly off?
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Xseos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »
Welcome, newcomer!

And my sincere condolences. It's never easy to lose someone close to you.

I admire your commitment to making your stories come to life, and as someone who has also dabbled in stories for nearly a decade now, I can tell you getting a book together is no simple task. Only recently did I start takomg my writing seriously, and the last two years has taught me much about the process of storytelling.

The #1 rule to any story is to write. Write consistently. Doesn't matter how terrible it is or if you haven't figured out all the details. You have got to write things down. Even if it's a single word a day, some progress is better than no progress, and it's crucial that if you truly are serious about your pursuit, you make a rigorous time and schedule for it.

Like many on the forum, I hold a full-time job, and so when I find free time, I write. 500 words minimum a week, without fail. In a year, you'll finish a story at that pace in no time. At a minimum, novels are 50,000 words, but the real ones are made around the 75k to 150k words. If you're committed at my pace of 500 a week, you're looking between 1-3 years before your first draft is done. But that's the neat part. If you did your homework beforehand, it'll only cost you 3 years, leaving the story to minor revisions. If you didn't, expect another 3 years. It's a long, tedious grind, and there's no guarantee it'll be successful. However, if you put in the time and effort, you'll see your investments soar.

My door is always open. If you need any advice, or if you happen to need some editors or artists, I have a good team behind me willing to support you on that journey. Just reach out and PM me, and I'll be available.

Other than that, I look forward to your contributions here!

- Op

Wow! This is quite the info,  I have been in and out of the story I am writing. Due to lack of inspiration or just being really picky with my concept and ideas. I have binders and notebooks filled with notes and what not, I'd spent half a year alone trying to get an understanding of story telling. Read for so many hours close to 30 days of straight reading, digesting how other writers express their ideas and feelings.

I was so dam committed, I hate doing half the work on anything it bothers me and I know I can't try to write a perfect story on my first draft. But since I can always improve on my craft why not make it the best I can at that moment....?..^_^...

Well, my point is to thank you for this amazing advice @OP it's so clean and sharp that I was able to understand the math without doing actual math 😁. I have to try and stay on track, before I was committed to writing a chapter a day and suddenly stop when the situation of my son happened. But I will use your method and see how far I can go with it. BTW, how long in pages would  you say 500 words be? I know sizing and spacing matters on this but just an estimated guess is fine for me. 💪🎩
G.N.D

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 01:27:47 PM »
@Suuper-san
When I say "do your homework" I mean have a plan on how you want to approach your story. I'm talking outlines. I'm talking themes, conflicts, character arcs and resolutions. Most importantly, what do you want to achieve with the story? A story without meaning is just words filling space. Do your homework, so that you don't end up scrapping 50k words of writing for something completely different. The worst thing you could do to yourself is commit to a story you never had a passion for.

@Xseos
I'm glad I could help! My advice to you on just getting the words down in terms of the "perfect story" is to do your homework as I mentioned with Suuper. Your perfect story will never be perfect, but what you can do is have a good-enough story that you can fine-tune and adjust.

I've had a 2-year-long project going on called Project Cairlann where I divulge some of my worldbuilding and storytelling to the folks here at MR. From experience, I can say that your first idea could very well be the one you don't write. I usually start out with this big, grandiose story I want to write, where it can be expanded practically indefinitely as I add on more and more details, with a growing character cast and diverse plots and conflicts. But the more I built on it, the more I came to realize that the story I'm hoping to write won't be accomplished in any short amount of time.

So I downsized. I still kept all my notes (since I hate to waste any research) but I pivoted to making just a short story, something like a "Proof of Concept" to show what I want to write is something worth writing for people. In this case, it would be my short story on the Battle of Garagil Pass. What's interesting here is that I get to keep everything I've built up on, but hone down on a single event where I can more focus on storytelling rather than worldbuilding. Just finishing something with a small, but striking idea is better than a big story with no real buildup.

Don't worry about formatting at this stage. Never get your book process backwards. Write your story first, fix it up, and then you can worry about the glimmer and confetti you want to add on top. Get your 500 words a week down. Doesn't matter if you have to write in different fonts everytime, make it jumbo size or small font, or different colors. Get the story down. A lot of writers only talk about writing a story, but they fail to even type the words for everyone to see. As with my life experiences, I've met a lot of dreamers in life. But unfortunately that's where most stop at. Just leaving their ideas as vague dreams. If you're going to talk the talk, walk the walk. Do something about it rather than wishing it'll happen. I've talked a lot about making stories for nearly 10 years, but it was only the past 2 where I got serious about it. You might be in the same boat as me, just sitting on it, letting it age without use of your ideas. But at the end of the day, no one can force you to write those ideas down on paper.

Routine is everything. You'll beat 90% of writers if you simply commit to a routine. And you'll beat the other 9% when you get your book out in the world. If you know the fable "The Hare and the Tortoise", you'll understand how significant this is. The Hare is like most authors. They have a bright idea, get down to writing some 20-30 pages in one sitting, and then lose steam. They might have inspiration, but they do not have a passion for writing. They get busy with life, they have things to do, and constantly they say "I'll get back to it eventually" but never do. Be like the tortoise. Be consistent. It might be slow, but it's better than no progress at all. You'll cross that finish line eventually.

- Op
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone! It's Xseos here (X'-SEA- US)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 02:34:59 PM »
@Operative ahhh right, that's kinda what I expected, it's a similar take with my art, making sure you dont change direction halfway through spending hours on the project, getting the core idea set up quickly and then just filling it out.
Though I disagree slightly on not committing to a story you have no passion for, as literally all my novels so far I have literally not cared about at all. But perhaps that is my passion for pure output...

kinda hijacking this thread for an impromptu writers discussion :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:36:59 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 12:34:38 PM »
Thankfully for y'all, the Writers Discussion topic is still alive and well. Send it down there if you want to keep following this thread, thank you.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 07:26:20 PM »
A belated welcome to MangaRaiders from me to you X :)

Offline Xseos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 12:50:21 AM »
Thank you for the belated welcome!!!  :thumbsup:
G.N.D