September 26, 2021, 02:56:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Asking for light novel competition  (Read 343 times)

Offline MarkHolmes(lightnovelist)

• View Profile
Asking for light novel competition
« on: September 10, 2021, 03:14:43 AM »
Hello, I was trying to find a cheap artist that is willing to draw for my light novel, but I am not able to find one. So, I just decided to join a light novel competition that accept manuscripts even in different language than Nihongo. Can you help me find a light novel competition wherein the submission of the manuscripts will still be in the year 2022?

I really want my light novels to get published, please help me.

If there are no more competitions this year, please help me find next year. I am already starting to get desperate, even unwillingly. Please.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for light novel competition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 12:11:10 PM »
Hey man, don't feel desperate about the whole thing! This kind of thing doesn't happen over night. Can I ask what is making you feel so rushed to be published?

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 02:07:12 AM »
It is because I am actually an introvert. An introvert who cannot express his feelings to other people, and even if I try to express my feelings, people would judge me immediately without hearing the whole story. That is why, I am doing my best in writing this novel of mine, I have already finished five books of the series and I am planning to make it up to 8 books. But... the problem with me is that I cannot draw. I really cannot draw. I already tried drawing many times for many days, but I am still not able to draw even a simple drawing. I am hopeless. That is why, I joined this forum. I can only express my thoughts and feelings through writing, that is why, I love writing novels. But I cannot draw. I already thought about whether I should publish my novels or not, and I thought that it would be a huge waste if I just hide these novels of mine without being able to express it in public, and only being able to express it in myself.

I may not be an excellent writer, but I can write using my feelings and reasonings. That is why, I want to publish this light novel of mine, and make one of my dreams possible, being able to express my feelings to other people without being guilty in the end.

I also think that this is my last chance, that is why, I really want this light novel to get published.

I am already getting tired of failing, everything I do are failing. In getting this light novel of mine published, I cannot even get some support from my family. They do not care about it. But if there is still this possibility of my light novel to get publish, I think I will still be able to express myself through writing. But if I am asking for an unreasonable request, then I am sorry.

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:01:15 AM »
This is hard.
I sympathise with you because at a young age things do look harder.

You're 16, still so long to do everything you want.
You never fail unless you give up. You're only at the start of your life and possibilities it's far too early to think of failure.
Some of us here are in our 30s+ we've not been published and might never be.
But it's the passion and love for what we do that keeps us going. Because it makes us happy.

If you want to be published so early, you go for it and keep trying till you get it. But I strongly suggest on finding out how to develop a healthy working attitude and patience for the meantime. It will help in all areas of life.
If you're still hanging in there, you're not failing. You're learning and improving :)
Good things take time and work.

I hope this comes across with good intention and not preachy. :( not a good written communicator here.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 03:11:54 AM by KatDeMilo »
MissKatMilo

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »
Hey Mark, I understand the frustration. But just by coming to MR and talking to people, you're making progress with communication. I encourage you to keep interacting with people here and trying out new ways to communicate. As Kat has said, it's too early to think about failure, even if it doesn't quite feel like the future is a tangible thing yet.

Getting published is great, but you if that's your only goal, then you're going to lose sight of the fun of creating. Not to mention, it often takes a long time to be published. Getting there as t 16 in any major sense is very unlikely, no matter what your skill level is. Patience is key in these things.

Have you tried to find any local opportunities to be published? Often you can't jump straight to a book release unless you do it on your own. But there are lots of magazines or websites that look for short stories and the like to put out. Just googling for that kind of thing in your region or country are likely to get you better results than asking us to track a contest down for you.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 09:32:25 PM »
I understand that, but... do you think someone will work with me even if I am just a new novelist? No one recognizes my talent, you see (if I can say that it is my talent).

Your suggestion of trying something else, well, I have already done that. I have already tried submitting the softcopy of my manuscript in one of the publishing companies here in the Philippines, but they has not contact me since a many months ago, I also read at their website that there is a chance that they will not contact the author anymore and that the reason for that is that they will not publish your book.

I already tried selling it online, but no one seems to be interested in purchasing it, and I think it is because I only used a poor quality made book cover at that time, I sell it as an ebook is what I meant by selling it online.

But... I always fail.

This novel of mine is really good, I can assure you that, but people look at the book cover first before even reading the book, am I right? And I think that that is the reason why I was not able to sell any books online. And I think that the publishing company did not accept my novel is because they do not primarily focus their business in publishing the works of an unknown writer.

Writing this message, I think I can already make a theme for another novel, "The people whose opinion will develop already just by looking at the cover will never know how beautiful the story inside is, and they will also never know the lessons that they can find only by reading it."

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »
Well, I hate to say it, but you don't sound like you've tried that many times to get something published. I don't mean that to be a slight of course. Most writers make dozens of submissions to different publishers before someone picks them up. You have to bring a flood of different works, because if you rely entirely on one book, there's a good chance it won't ever be what a publisher is looking for. Getting published isn't a precision game. You need to throw everything at the wall until something sticks.

The same "flood" mentality goes for self publishing. You have to be a zealous advocate for yourself. If you just out something out there but aren't actively selling it to people every day, then you aren't going to get anyone interested. These days you need to get on all of the social medias (as much as that idea makes me gag personally). You need to spread it by your own word of mouth too. Join a writing club if you can. Sharing your work online for free will also help. Keep that barrier to entry low to begin with. You can't expect to turn a profit to begin with (the turn starving artist doesn't exist for no reason). But since you have several novels written already, there's no harm with putting the first one out there for free to see if anyone will bite.

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
Hmn as above.

I suggest googling "15 Famous Books That Were Initially Rejected" and taking a look at how many formal rejections they went through.
MissKatMilo

Offline Pavo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 09:07:54 PM »
Don't try to think that you have some hard deadline by when you have to achieve something. It mostly ends up being detrimental to your work as you put getting published in front of actually getting the work to be the best it can be. And that in turn ends up making your work fail to get published as it fails to meet the standards to be published. Kind of a cursed circle which ends up with you being burned out and over frustrated and in the end dropping everything.

Take things slowly, you have plenty of time ahead of yourself, no one is pressing a gun against your head and telling you that you have to publish a novel by the age of 18 (At least I hope no one is)

Take your time to enjoy writing, and publishing will come with it if it is meant to be. And in case you fail to get published, you will still love what you have been doing and have satisfaction in your accomplishments. Writing 5 books already is a major feat, and it feels like you are very frustrated that you didn't publish a single one, instead of feeling accomplished by writing those 5 books. Most people don't write even half of one book. Simply by what you have done, you're already a part of less than 1% of the people who have actually written a book.

Be proud of yourself and your work, and don't seek approval just from the industry. The first person you should seek approval from is you yourself, and if you ignore that you are on a good path to give up on everything too soon.

Brandon Sanderson, an amazing fantasy writer, wrote 13 huge novels before he even got his first publishing deals. He got tons of rejections, but he always kept going because he loved writing, not because he wanted to get published. And that attitude is what landed him as one of the best fantasy authors of today. He even talks in one of his lectures about it so you can hear it from him as well. If you're interested, I can link you the lecture in question.