September 18, 2021, 07:02:20 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Need artist for my light novel  (Read 334 times)

Offline MarkHolmes(lightnovelist)

• View Profile
Need artist for my light novel
« on: August 31, 2021, 06:44:46 PM »
Hello! I am just new in this group. I am a novelist, and I am currently writing a light novel. I did not know that I was writing a light  novel and not actually the traditional novel. So, I am trying to find an artist right now that can draw the book cover page of my light novel (Just the characters, and just for the book cover). If you are willing to help this poor writer, please reply to my message.

For the book one of my light novel, here is the plot summary:
     Mark Lewis is a high school student living in Tokyo, Japan. The story started with him preparing to go to school, but he forgot to prepare himself fully.
     Mark Lewis is a lonely young man with no friends, but he suddenly met a very beautiful young woman who would later on change his life. This young woman has the name of Angel Torres, and this young woman will also be the one who will be his partner in investigating the criminal case that they will soon encounter.
     Angel Torres will also be the one to change the life of Mark Lewis from being an 'Oftentimes Misunderstood Detective' to being a 'Detective That is Able to Express Himself.'

The title of my light novel is "Oftentimes Misunderstood Detective."

I hope that you will be interested in helping me. I just need someone to draw the book cover anyway.

Please.

• View Profile
Re: Need artist for my light novel
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 06:47:03 PM »
I am just new in being a novelist. So, I will really appreciate it if you help me.

Please

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »
The genre of my light novel are these: mystery, romance, comedy, drama, and psychological.

Please, I really need someone to illustrate for me.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 03:31:40 PM »
Hey there Mark, just so you're aware, I removed the copy of your original post from the Q&A topic for this board.

May I suggest introducing yourself in the Welcome Center and checking out some of the artists on our forum. If you aren't offering monetary compensation, then really your best option is to make some friends and do a collaboration.

Good luck with your search!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »
This is one of the most polite and realistic requests I've seen on here.

Goodluck :)

If I knew you better I might have offered! But I avoid gifting people I don't know because they typically start expecting more.
MissKatMilo

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 02:16:06 AM »
If you're looking for just character art, then I could perhaps recommend the artist I'm using for Project Cairlann. He charges per character $25 for black-and-white and $45 for full color. I could point you to him if you're willing to pay that price point. However, he's on break at the moment, so it might take some time before he's available to accept commissions. You can DM me if you have interest in this.

From my experience, no professional artist will provide work for free. There's an unspoken rule that you only get 1 out of 3 things from a person's work: fast, cheap, or good. I managed to work out an agreement with this artist to allow for quality work on his terms without breaking the bank on my end. That said, I do have a steady job and so I can afford to put aside a few hundred bucks each week for such requests. That might not be possible if you're only starting out and have no savings or income to speak of whatsoever. The best thing for you in that scenario would be to write the story first, and then consider if this is something you want to go full-hands-on-deck with. If you're certain you want to publish this story, then investing in the artwork would be worthwhile. That said, don't throw money in if it's not going to be made back. If you have no intentions of seeing your story to the end, you might as well just purchase commissions as a hobby rather than with the expectation that you'll have a multi-million dollar series. The vast majority of artists and writers make below average wage, as terrible as that is. Consider well what you want to do with this idea, and if so, stick with it. The worse thing you can do to yourself is start something purely on motivation and have no passion for it. Motivation is a temporary feeling. Passion is working on something even when you have no will to do so. That's what separates amateurs from professionals.

Ask yourself if this is what you want to do for 10, 15, or even 20 years. If it's a resounding yes, then I encourage you to work on it. Otherwise, I suggest you play around some more before you consider a serious proposal. Start posting samples of your writing here on the forum. Get feedback. Learn from other's work. If you watch anime or read manga critically to see what the mangakas and studios do to come up with their writing, you can learn much from their success and see what works best for you. Apart from that, I wish you best of luck in your endeavors.

From one avid enthusiast to another.
- Op
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:18:46 AM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3

Offline scruffyronin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 01:00:59 AM »
Best wishes!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 04:57:27 AM »
Um. Can I bargain the prize with the artist? I am only a 16 year-old young man, and I still do not have any means of earning some money. The only money I have right now is the money that I was able to save when there was no pandemic yet.

I am also a Filipino, so 25 dollars is a bit too much for me.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »
$25 happens to be the standing average for work done in Southeast Asia (In this case, I'm sourcing from Indonesia), and that's just for sketches. In fact, most artists tend to go up to $100 minimum quite easy. If you look into developed countries like Japan or the US, the cost is significantly higher, as you need to factor in time and effort as well as reworks and revisions. It's a big process that can take days or weeks, and no one will work below minimum wage to push out that kind of professional work, even for beginner artists.

At best, you'll likely only find a sketch for $10-15. Something that's quick and easy to do and won't eat up so much time. I'll have to get in touch with my artist to see what he prefers, but that would be my best guess for the compensation rate for lower quality work. It would easier to know what kind of budget you're looking at and what kind of work you'd be expecting.

However, given your response, it's more than likely you'll find this kind of commitment more as a hobby as you have no written work to speak of nor any income to sustain a long term operation. When there is no money at hand, you must find ways to make do with what you have. Many writers have to write first and gain traction before they ever get to the big leagues where people are willing to pay for their work and they can finally add art to their stories. Consider JK Rowling or GRR Martin. They had to write their books first before they got their films made. I highly encourage you to start posting your written work as much as you can so you can build that support early on and later fund the art you so eagerly want. Everyone has to start somewhere, and for your case, that would be your starting point.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:15:43 PM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »
Operative makes a good point. You're young dude, you've got a lot of time yet to work on yourself and polish your skills. I know very well the feeling of being 16 and full of ideas that you want to make happen right away, but this is a long game you're playing. Really the best thing is to post your work, hone your skills, make friends and contacts. Maybe you'll find someone who wants to collaborate, maybe you won't and you just reach a point in life where you can afford to pay an artist. Either way you can use the time in between to become the best writer you can be.

It is of course, and ever evolving skill. You will never be perfect. You will just slowly come closer to finding your own true voice.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF