June 12, 2021, 05:16:43 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Am I overthinking social media?  (Read 554 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Am I overthinking social media?
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:35:58 PM »
Ok so the answer is most definitely yes, I'm sure.

I think the issue is that I'm not a heavy social media user to begin with, so I've always viewed social media platforms as something I would be more engaged with once I started to become more professional (producing proper illustrations and manga), and something that I would use "professionally" only, so just posting high level stuff and not sketches, or rambling posts like I do here.

But I'm starting to think that it's something I should already be starting to use, to engage with art and writing communities more and get a bit of a following with what I'm doing already, sketches and whatnot. Basically not just posting my sketches and doodles on MR, but on other places as well.

I think because I've always viewed this forum community as a place to chill out and learn with others, I've always felt a lot more at ease expressing myself here than on other platforms, in fact I dont even have a Twitter or Instagram etc.

A second problem is that I view social media as a large drain on art and writing time that could be spent on projects, so really I want to become a hermit until I'm massively good and then "post on ALL the platforms!", kinda thing.

Not really sure what I'm having an issue with but just wanted to get it of my chest, maybe someone understands (0-0;)
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I overthinking social media?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 03:36:58 PM »
As someone who is divesting themselves of all social media, my first instinct is to tell you to forget about it, but the reality is that social media is THE way people interact with creatives these days. A lot of the traffic that used to come through MR just lives on Twitter these days, so we can't ignore the power there. So my advice is yeah, start using it. But keep it strictly professional and one sided. Don't get into fights, don't go down rabbit holes. Have it also be a place to show your stuff off, but don't get too into it, because a lot of vitriol will come back your way.

As far as a time sync goes, following my advice above will help keep you out of it, but another resource are websites which post to all social media accounts at once from a single source. I don't know names, but I know they're out there (my company uses one). Not only will it make posting easy, but it will shield you from actually having to go into these places when you have better things to do.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Online NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »
As much as I dislike social media in general, it does appear to be really important right now for marketing and growing an audience. Engagement with people that read/purchase your products is a big draw. I think the advice so far has been pretty spot on, set up professional profiles and not personal ones, that way you engage with people more as a "content creator" and keep a level of separation, which hopefully sidesteps a lot of the worst parts about social media sites. I don't think you need to set anything up until you have a finished product to market though (or a crowdfunding campaign to advertise). Use it for release announcements, event announcements, merchandising, linking to funding sources, and then maybe things like sneak peaks/ behind the scenes stuff if you build a decent following. The issue is that once you start you really can't stop... the benefits really come from being consistent. However, that doesn't mean every day. Maybe just once or twice a month is enough?? And just copy/paste!

Man... I've even been told to sign up to twitter to keep up with releases from scientists in my field...

Offline evand498

• escapism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »
For me its pretty consuming too much information to handle. I mean my friends don't use social media and its pretty difficult to communicate in text and calls also with people. Hard to keep in touch. I never really like social media its feels like you can't really keep in touch with a friend in my opinion. Its like your hands are full when inviting people into your life. Sometimes it could be time consuming like watching tv, video games and playing music.
Webtoon Artist wannabe trying every single day to reach my goal

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »
I know you like to do lots of sketches but you could try drawing more full detailed illustrations, maybe 1 every week

Offline evand498

• escapism
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »
Yeah for sure I'll try I'll see what I can do just have to go through my studies as well almost finish within 2 months then I'm good i'll see what happens in my schedule

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:48:20 AM »
I think everyone's points well summarise the issues with social media but as you all say it is a very useful tool these days for creators, so I'll have to get used to it sooner or later.

I think I will not start straight away, all the same, and focus on actually getting my art to the level I want (at least the initial level). that way I can be more focused and then once my art is better I can focus on dealing with social media with the confidence my art quality is what I want.

@Coryn
my first instinct is to tell you to forget about it, but the reality is that social media is THE way people interact with creatives these days.
That probably sums up my opinion and dilemma at the same time.

keep it strictly professional and one sided. Don't get into fights, don't go down rabbit holes.
Yeah definitely, I think I'm only going to view it in a professional sense, similar to how I do my YouTube and DeviantArt, although both are barely touched.

If I could post to multiple places at once that would certainly be useful to save some time.

@NO1SEY
not personal ones, that way you engage with people more as a "content creator" and keep a level of separation, which hopefully sidesteps a lot of the worst parts about social media sites.
Yeah I'll definitely want to avoid personal conflicts, not just for the emotional drain but time-wise too.

And copy/pasting is something I'm getting a little more into, I sometimes posted YouTube speedpaints of my DeviantArt works and copy/pasted a bit of the comments, so probably just do more of that.

@evand498
yeah it's much better to meet up with friends face to face if you can, it's far better than any other communication. I'm hoping to use social media to promote myself as an artist, not to keep in touch with friends.

@MK
that's not a bad point, although the issue is not really the content I generate but the attitude I have towards social media and the way I plan to be using it.
For a while I did an illustration a day, for about 3 months, and posted it online, but I found it draining to deal with.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »
The one counter point I will give is to NO1SY, and that is to start posting stuff before you have a solid product. It doesn't have to be a high level of interaction, but it will be a way to build your audience for said product before it's ready. Even if you only hook say, 100 people, that's 100 people more than you would have if you just show up one day with a book. It's about building trust slowly. If you're a known quantity, people will have an easier time dealing with you (and not assuming you're a scammer).

All that being said, I think I'm correct in thinking that social media killed the old internet the moment it convinced people that it was totally fine to give out your personal information on the internet. Which is why I would stick to a pseudonym, and keep personal details off there at all cost. Even when building a repertoire with your audience, giving away anything real about yourself is dangerous. There's a reason we don't know what Hiromu Harakawa looks like for instance. It just shows you can be successful without being recognizable on the street as long as your product is worthwhile.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 05:04:13 PM »
Coryns' on the right track there especially with comfortability. If you've gotta be anonymous while doing manga then go the ONE route: Semi-public (or Quarter?) Don't know.

All I know is that I have no worries about you pulling it off well from experience. Get into the game and promote your stuff and you have enough discipline and self-awareness to set a timetable for how much social media is too much and how much is too little. Heck, make a regimen out of it (I'll post 50 posts then delete my account). It's worth the pushups hehe.

Just know that I'll totally follow and stalk it and give me the link because I want to see this happen. You proved it with the one-shot bro you're ready to get at showing your stuff to the world and dude, no worries, MR will always be here if you need to chill, but I'd really like to see you grow your stuff and show that coolness to other people too (insofar as it's comforteable to you)

Last concrete tip: Engagement helps you find community. Everyone is throwing up billboard signs and curating their artistic lives without even bothering to visit other pages or say 'Whatsup, I like your art' so it feels very competitive, but I've legit found a nice niche community in instagram of strangers just by commenting on their art and chatting with them and just being chill (A principle that I 120% owe to MangaRaiders haha)

Online NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 07:56:22 PM »
The one counter point I will give is to NO1SY, and that is to start posting stuff before you have a solid product. It doesn't have to be a high level of interaction, but it will be a way to build your audience for said product before it's ready. Even if you only hook say, 100 people, that's 100 people more than you would have if you just show up one day with a book. It's about building trust slowly. If you're a known quantity, people will have an easier time dealing with you (and not assuming you're a scammer).

Very fair point. I actually think I remember WhiteCrow doing something like this with his comic.

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 11:58:06 PM »
If you want to be popular.
Get on everything and be active.

Goes without saying. There are talented artists with low watchers because they don't push their fan bases.

However lots of downsides, upsides. Really do what you want in the end.

Personally hate it xD I stay around da and be a hermit.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:01:57 AM by KatDeMilo »
MissKatMilo

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 04:14:05 AM »
Make a Professional account that is simply for your work and projects and only follow other artists/fans of what you like seeing is my advice.

Its good for engagement and building connections, but its murky waters out there so i would sail carefully :P

Offline evand498

• escapism
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah I think promoting yourself isn't a bad idea I'm somewhat on it just twitter though I've been thinking about that before but haven't reach that level yet. Just keep moving and you won't feel old

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 12:59:18 PM »
@coryn
Even if you only hook say, 100 people, that's 100 people more than you would have if you just show up one day with a book
Yeah that's partly the thought that floats around my head, that I'm likely only to promote myself once I have a final product and not before...leading up to a very disappointing amount of people noticing I think.

Which is why I would stick to a pseudonym, and keep personal details off there at all cost. Even when building a repertoire with your audience, giving away anything real about yourself is dangerous.
Oh totally, I try and avoid that already so I'm super careful there. I was wondering if to go with my real name, because typically that's what authors do, but as of late there are indeed manga authors who dont even have a normal pseudonym, thay go straight with a username like ONE

@Lego
set a timetable for how much social media is too much and how much is too little.
Yeah I'm sort of trialling that now with my weekly manga on MR, just to see what it feels like posting something weekly to a schedule. I'll probably start leaning slowly into other platforms, and then pick up the pace as I see fit.

Just know that I'll totally follow and stalk it and give me the link because I want to see this happen.
Ehehehe no worries I definitely will share, and thanks :D

a nice niche community in instagram of strangers just by commenting on their art and chatting with them and just being chill
This actually helped my animation channel gain traction back in the day (~15 years ago now, yikes), almost making a community if it doesnt exist, like a you-centric community.

@KatDeMilo ehehe yeah I much prefer the hermit route but I can't do it forever if I want to get myself out there T_T

There are talented artists with low watchers because they don't push their fan bases.
yeah...a real shame...I hope I dont end up like that :P

@Vacant yeah I'll definitely be professional about it, probably just post content and not engage too much with individuals unless it's relevant or worthwhile.