March 29, 2024, 01:04:06 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Webtoon vertical format?  (Read 9694 times)

Offline CJMoon

• View Profile
Thoughts on the Webtoon vertical format?
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
I actually started liking comics through Webtoon titles like Eleceed and Bastard, but after reading page-format manga I really find myself disliking the Webtoon format of vertical scrolling. It's such a good platform for posting comics, so it's a shame it really doesn't accommodate page-based comics very well at all. Some really interesting spreads can be created through the vertical format but action in general I feel flows not as well. Does anyone feel the same or is it just me?

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Webtoon vertical format?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »
They both have their benefits.  Vertical scrolling can make some interesting panels as you have much more space but I prefer using pages as it's fun to make page turner suspense.  That being said, it is more planning for pages since you have to think about that

Offline CJMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »

They both have their benefits.  Vertical scrolling can make some interesting panels as you have much more space but I prefer using pages as it's fun to make page turner suspense.  That being said, it is more planning for pages since you have to think about that

@MK Yeah, some of the Webtoon artist make super interesting and appealing long shots. They can be really good for dramatic moments and detailed character illustrations, but I agree- turning the page and seeing something insane you didn't expect is always such a great experience.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
If you draw in a page format, it is easily converted to a vertical format.  Pretty much lasso the panels and spread them.  You might have to redraw parts of panels if there was any overlap

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »
I don't like having to do massive scroll downs for minimal art.
Webtoons is notorious for that. Though, to be fair I see many people loving it. So guess it's a taste thing.
Not all of the comics have the same format, I do like some that follow more traditional manga/comic format. With a few alterations.
I've had to change my own layouts and I'm feeling it works for the current stuff I'm working on.
Hmn yeah.. Its okay.
MissKatMilo

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »
I really dont like the scrolling format, it makes it very slow to read pages (panels, I guess) compared to jumping manga pages with a click or button press.

as for the vertical format on it's own....I can't say I like it, mostly because I'm comparing it to a manga and imagining how it would work in a real life book form. Also it's hard to explain but it sort of feels that most that I read in the vertical format are skimping on the workload, somehow, maybe like making it look larger with the white spaces, that sort of thing. I can't help but think "I could have done that" with a lot of them, compared to manga which is a lot more complex. So that makes it sound that I'm just being grudgy, whatever :P

I still have manhua that I really like to read but the format gives a negative bias to anything I read before I even start.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:37:15 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 06:03:04 PM »
Generally the vertical scrolling format has to hit a similar amount of panels.  I think webtoons wants about 40-60 panels as a minimum except for the comedy genre

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 04:28:27 AM »
yeah I thought so too, maybe it's just I think it feels shorter somehow :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline RacherrieArt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 05:47:35 PM »
Generally the vertical scrolling format has to hit a similar amount of panels.  I think webtoons wants about 40-60 panels as a minimum except for the comedy genre

I counted panels on some of my favorite Webtoons and some popular series can get away with around 30, at least for a first chapter.

Offline IndigoDoll90

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 06:00:34 AM »
I actually started liking comics through Webtoon titles like Eleceed and Bastard, but after reading page-format manga I really find myself disliking the Webtoon format of vertical scrolling. It's such a good platform for posting comics, so it's a shame it really doesn't accommodate page-based comics very well at all. Some really interesting spreads can be created through the vertical format but action in general I feel flows not as well. Does anyone feel the same or is it just me?

Yeah I'm the same way kind of prefer the traditional comic format compared to webtoons vertical scrolling. Though I can see how people like scrolling as it's much easier to do on a mobile device. However, I read more traditional manga then webtoons, which may also be why I prefer the traditional format though I mostly read my manga through my kindle app these days since I don't have the room for a bunch of physical books. Besides I'm kind of liking reading through my kindle app more than reading a physical book or comic book these days.

Offline illusses

• Manga Creator/Artist
  • My profile pic says I'm about to sh*t my pants
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
It really depends on your preference I guess. I've seen a lot of manga format series on webtoon as well, while some of them does have very small fonts that it's kinda hard to read, I still find it enjoyable since I'm used to reading in that format. I have my own series on webtoon in the same format as well.
While scrolling format makes it easier to read and you can really go wild with the design flow, I still prefer to read multiple panels in one sitting but that's just my opinion~  ;D

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »
Honestly, from what I've read with traditional manga formats, it seems like you can get very creative there too, but I suppose you may be able to go further with one continuous scroll design-wise...

Personally I've always found the continuous scrolling for webtoons to be a bit of an annoyance, but mostly for more practical reasons - it was always harder to save my spot if I closed out of my web-page and it reloaded I would be right back at the top... Having a discrete page is much easier to put down and pick up again from. Also sometimes the formatting of webtoons could be a little hard to follow in the correct order.

I think both formats have come a long way in the 15 or so years since I started reading them though, with lots of space for creativity and expression.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:40:12 AM by NO1SY »

Offline watanabe_ringo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 02:01:50 PM »
personally i'm not a fan of endless scrolling, but i do like the format of reading up to down. not necessarily like the classic two page spread. better for mobile readers without compromising the format imo

Offline Tenori Tejima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2022, 09:08:00 PM »
I hate it... It just feels weird for some reason. I don't mind the excessive white space, but there's two things that it's really skimping out on: the hikigoma leading panels, and, (you don't really realize you miss it until it's gone), the extremely close shot panel "directly touching" a perspective+foreshortening far shot panel.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 06:39:21 AM »
from what I've seen, manhua get printed in books with a similar format to manga - i.e. no gaps between panels, and content fitting inside the panels rather than loosely floating around them. So it seems that the long scrolling manhua is really only for mobile/thin device viewing only - it's specifically for that medium. Which makes sense, I've tried to read manga on my tiny phone screen and it's not easy, you have to keep zooming in all the time to read the text, and a lot of the details are too small to appreciate. So in addition to aesthetic preferences, it does depend on how you're viewing it as to what is best I think.

I'd be curious to see how easily the two formats can be converted from one to the other. As a manga artist, how easy is it to spread your panels out and make them into a manhua, and visa versa. That way you can cater to a larger target audience by formatting your work to suit them. I get the feeling a fair amount of redrawing would occur both ways, but probably no more than 20-30% of the original creation time.