September 22, 2021, 10:11:07 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Webtoon vertical format?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline CJMoon

• View Profile
Thoughts on the Webtoon vertical format?
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
I actually started liking comics through Webtoon titles like Eleceed and Bastard, but after reading page-format manga I really find myself disliking the Webtoon format of vertical scrolling. It's such a good platform for posting comics, so it's a shame it really doesn't accommodate page-based comics very well at all. Some really interesting spreads can be created through the vertical format but action in general I feel flows not as well. Does anyone feel the same or is it just me?

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Webtoon vertical format?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »
They both have their benefits.  Vertical scrolling can make some interesting panels as you have much more space but I prefer using pages as it's fun to make page turner suspense.  That being said, it is more planning for pages since you have to think about that

Offline CJMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »

They both have their benefits.  Vertical scrolling can make some interesting panels as you have much more space but I prefer using pages as it's fun to make page turner suspense.  That being said, it is more planning for pages since you have to think about that

@MK Yeah, some of the Webtoon artist make super interesting and appealing long shots. They can be really good for dramatic moments and detailed character illustrations, but I agree- turning the page and seeing something insane you didn't expect is always such a great experience.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
If you draw in a page format, it is easily converted to a vertical format.  Pretty much lasso the panels and spread them.  You might have to redraw parts of panels if there was any overlap

Offline KatDeMilo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »
I don't like having to do massive scroll downs for minimal art.
Webtoons is notorious for that. Though, to be fair I see many people loving it. So guess it's a taste thing.
Not all of the comics have the same format, I do like some that follow more traditional manga/comic format. With a few alterations.
I've had to change my own layouts and I'm feeling it works for the current stuff I'm working on.
Hmn yeah.. Its okay.
MissKatMilo

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »
I really dont like the scrolling format, it makes it very slow to read pages (panels, I guess) compared to jumping manga pages with a click or button press.

as for the vertical format on it's own....I can't say I like it, mostly because I'm comparing it to a manga and imagining how it would work in a real life book form. Also it's hard to explain but it sort of feels that most that I read in the vertical format are skimping on the workload, somehow, maybe like making it look larger with the white spaces, that sort of thing. I can't help but think "I could have done that" with a lot of them, compared to manga which is a lot more complex. So that makes it sound that I'm just being grudgy, whatever :P

I still have manhua that I really like to read but the format gives a negative bias to anything I read before I even start.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:37:15 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 06:03:04 PM »
Generally the vertical scrolling format has to hit a similar amount of panels.  I think webtoons wants about 40-60 panels as a minimum except for the comedy genre

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 04:28:27 AM »
yeah I thought so too, maybe it's just I think it feels shorter somehow :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline RacherrieArt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 05:47:35 PM »
Generally the vertical scrolling format has to hit a similar amount of panels.  I think webtoons wants about 40-60 panels as a minimum except for the comedy genre

I counted panels on some of my favorite Webtoons and some popular series can get away with around 30, at least for a first chapter.