June 12, 2021, 05:34:13 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Young Pro Mangaka  (Read 256 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Young Pro Mangaka
« on: March 20, 2021, 04:53:48 AM »
I was looking at some of my favourite manga series and other popular titles to see how old the authors were when they started to write them, and it was a bit of a wake up call for me, especially the younger ones.

Rounding the years roughly, this is how old the authors were when making these series:
FMA - 27
Bleach - 24
Naruto - 25
Rave Master - 23
^same author, Fairy Tail - 29
One Piece - 22
Rurouni Kenshin - 24
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - 25 (probably)
Nichijou - 29
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 27
Lucky Star - 26
Kimi ni Todoke - 30

I know that for around 6 years I didn't have writing a manga as a main goal or even having art as a career option, and I deliberately kept it as a background hobby for longer than I "should have", given my current desires.

I'm not saying that if you're older you can't write manga (there's plenty of stuff written by older people that brilliant), but this is, amongst other things, the level of a pro mangaka. Yes they trained and went to art school and apprenticed under an already pro mangaka, so they've got a lot going for them.

Basically, to me, this relates to my desired life output and what I want to do in terms of quantity, for my entire life.

I definitely want to be a good artist by the time I hit 30 (2 years to go :|), only just because it's a round number and viewed as a checkpoint of sorts by a lot of people, and timing-wise I might just scrape in :P

I'm not saying their ages should be a target for aspiring manga writers, but merely that this is what is achievable if you put your mind to it, are dedicated and focused.

Here are some "older" artists that have equally started writing popular works (possibly as their second/third series)

Nanatsu no Taizai - 35
Ore Monogatari!! - 40
World Trigger - 32
Detective Conan - 31
Black Clover - 31

As a side point most of these artists have written one-shots that you've never heard of and serials that got cancelled through lack of popularity etc, so it's not like they had it easy, they had to work hard to get where they are and deal with disappointment and setbacks as well.

Basically, keep at your goal, if you're young, make good use of your time, if you're older, make good use of your time. That's all.

Onwards and upwards.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:29:38 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
Re: Young Pro Mangaka
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 06:32:03 AM »
Generally speaking. Do not let goals blind you from opportunities. There are many roads that can lead to your goals, or perhaps lead to better places. Try to not get stuck or insist on one road. No shame in taking shortcuts or asking for help or hitching a ride(Just watch out for serial killers tho). Because no one made it big by themself.

Self-imposed handicaps are the worst thing one can do to himself. The time we have on earth is finite, to waste trying to figure it out by ourselves when somebody already did figure it out.
And yeah. don't forget to enjoy the sights, stop and smell the roses. Was the friends we made along the way.

I guess when you start early you get ahead. And when you live in a country that supports anime/manga it helps a lot.

When to comes to hard work, for every Oda there are properly one-handers guys that worked just as hard but didn't get to be successful. Masashi Kishimoto has an equally talented and skilled twin. But he doesn't get to have his own Naruto.

Plague of gripes wanted to be a writer. I think I heard him say he studied creative writing in college. I think he never imagen he will find success at 30 something, playing Dark Souls analyzing bricks placements, and drawing "not furry P word"

As for me personally, I'll be 31 32. I look back and I'm full of regrets
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:19:10 AM by KeanFox »