March 28, 2024, 04:56:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Project CAIRLANN [HIATUS]  (Read 38465 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: CAIRLANN - Coming Soon
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2021, 02:16:15 AM »
It's been awhile since I've posted artwork for this project, but I do have a few lying around for the last six months or so. I still wonder if there's ever a right time to release such marvelous pieces, but then again, it's easy to forget why I'm so entranced with the work on this project to begin with. So here's to all the amazing folks that have been here so far!  8)

Eadith Sangrain, the Mischevious Spirit

Eadith Sangrain in her usual frollicking

Born in the eastern lands of Vermaris, Eadith Sangrain has lived for much of her life as a camp follower traveling alongside her father's army during Cairlann's invasion of Godwyn. Always with a curious mind, and with a knack for causing trouble and making friends in the most unusual of ways, Eadith has already mastered several languages and is well-versed about various cultures and customs in her young age. Even more so is her ability to stomach the worst war has to offer with a glimmering smile and a bright laugh, something even the most experienced of adults struggle to compose. Her curiosity, however, may find herself into more trouble than she could handle, as she becomes caught in a struggle between the family she has and the friends she's made.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 02:46:08 AM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2021, 02:17:36 AM »
As an additional aside, I am also looking to hire some very talented artists and writers to help contribute to this project. If you're interested, please PM me and I'd be more than happy to discuss details. - Op

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2022, 02:54:34 AM »
A Tales of Cadamaria Story - Battle of Garagil Pass (Part 29)
They had fought for what seemed like an eternity. The first lines fell almost immediately, cut down by the savage speed and surprise of the enemy’s attack. Bodies laid strewn across the ground, blood mixing with the damp soil as burning embers lit the trees and tents all around. Torches swung frantically amid the chaos, desperate to catch the glimpses of white eyes as the clash of steel and hacking of bone and flesh echoed in the night sky. From the fog came brutes in fur pelts; black bears, gray wolves, white goats.. but all hid their faces behind a mesh of chainmail, their searing eyes visible only through the visors of their dull-iron helms. Facing these raging beasts of metal, the Cairlannders scrambled for their weapons, only to be cut down by large axes that broke through their hide-covered shields. Those that formed up beside their sergeants soon found themselves shot down by a fury of arrows bearing down on all sides.

In the blackened void, shrieks and shrills surrounded the battered men of Captain Nerian’s vanguard. Flaming arrows pierced through the dark veil every so often, and while the Cairlannder shieldwall held tight, still some would slip their way through the narrow gaps between. A scream on one side, and then the other. On occasion, a muffled gurgle and a soft thud. As the arrows came, the men pulled out the dead and wounded, and the lines would shift and shutter as those in the rear took their places. The Northmen had yet to make their way to his ranks, but Nerian knew it would only be a matter of time before they would break through the second line.

“Captain, we must withdraw,” Nerian’s sergeant begged. “If we stay here, we’ll all surely be cut down!”

Nerian shot back. “We stand firm. Not a single Northman must pass!”

More arrows poured into the shieldwall as the cries of battle grew closer ahead. More Ellstrivari tongue, and less Cadamarian with every passing moment. The war chants roared louder and louder as the horde approached, and the Cairlannders readied their spears, bracing for what laid ahead.
“Steady!” Nerian commanded. “Steady!”

As the chants grew closer and closer, a fury of arrows suddenly flooded the line, clattering against the wooden boards of their shields. Men cried and hollered as the arrows pierced and punctured their padded wool jackets and chainmail, some getting away with a knick or two, but others jabbed through their limbs and organs. As the dead and wounded fell, a furious roar filled the air as the Northmen rushed the shieldwall in a maddened dash.

“Spears forward!” the sergeants hollered.

At once, the soldiers held forth their spears and braced for the charge. The Northmen closed the distance, and as they did, the Cairlannders thrusted their spears out, striking down the first assailants, but not before those behind them jumped forth and threw themselves onto the shieldwall. The wall buckled as the soldiers teared through the Northmen with sword and knife, dropping their spears as the Northmen flailed their blades into the cracks, hoping to cut and stab wherever they could.

As the line held against the onslaught, more roars could be heard from the sides.

“Take to the flanks!” ordered Nerian, directing two of his sergeants to their positions. With haste, the sergeants gathered the men in reserve and placed themselves shoulders against the main line just as more Northmen poured out from the fog and smashed into their ranks.

Nerian stood by at the rear, pacing back and forth, watching the lines for any gaps, any slack, any signs of weakening among the ranks. Already, his ten-men-deep lines were dwindling down to six, and it wouldn’t be long before the Northmen would break through. As he paced across the line, an arrow struck near his foot, barely missing his toes by a few inches. He raised his shield up to the night sky, and sure enough, more arrows landed atop his shield. Nerian cursed. Even with the two sides locked in combat, Olvek still had his archers fire into the crowd. Either he was mad, or the archers knew what they were doing.

More arrows landed against his shield, and Nerian rushed to the other side of the line, hoping to get out of the archers’ fire. As he traveled down the left flank, the line was down to four-men-deep, much worse than the others.

Nerian called to the last troops in reserve. “Forward to the left flank! With haste!”

The soldiers cried out in unison, and marched forth to reinforce their weakened lines. Nerian ran back to the center, watching the lines, watching men fall and die, watching his camp burn and the Northmen flood the grounds before him.

What else could he do but watch? Was there nothing else he could do but slow the inevitable?

No, he could not afford to. Behind Nerian, thousands of civilians. Innocent people who have traveled with them for so many years, who clothed them, fed them, cared for them as they fought in this war. He could not afford to break.

His trusted sergeant cried out once more. “Captain Nerian! We must fall back! We cannot hold them any longer!”

This time, Nerian concurred. “Pull the men back, but slowly! Any slack in the line, and we’ll all be cut down.”

The sergeant nodded and went across the ranks to give the order. As the orders rang across, and the men slowly withdrew step-by-step, Nerian bit his lips and took hold of his star-crossed necklace.

“Oh dearest Lord, give us the strength to prevail through these dark times.”

As the lines withdrew, a panic spread across the left flank. Nerian rushed over to see what was happening, only to discover that the Northmen had bashed their way straight through the left’s center. Soldiers cried in terror as the line suddenly cracked and the Northmen poured through the opening, cutting down the disheveled ranks. The other lines too began to panic, seeing their brother slaughtered beside them, but unable to break formation against the enemy striking them from the front.

Nerian looked on in horror, but could only spare a single moment before raising his shield to face the one swinging an axe straight towards his face.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2022, 02:59:07 AM »
A Tales of Cadamaria Story - Battle of Garagil Pass (Part 30)
The northman let out a vicious scream as the axe’s blade broke through Nerian’s shield, barely missing his wrist as the northman’s weight slammed into him. Nerian dug his heels into the slippery mud, slowly sliding across as the large warrior pushed forth before yanking the axe back, and Nerian’s shield with it.

Nerian, stunned by the man’s brute strength, unsheathed his knife and sword, uncertain if his weapons were enough to stop the warrior’s blind rage. The warrior growled, stomping through the mud as he raised his weapon. He swung against Nerian's head once again, but failed to land as Nerian ducked and struck the axe’s handle, avoiding another deadly blow. The man then turned his axe to strike down, but before he could do so, Nerian sprung back up and stuck his knife through the man’s neck, right below the hanging mesh of steel that covered his face.

He could see the man’s eyes flicker as blood poured down the length of his arm, his breath muffled and gurgling with every gasp. Yet, still the man lifted his axe against him. With a hard twist, Nerian dug the knife deeper into the man’s neck, before pulling across and breaking off, letting the warrior’s half-severed head drop down with his body. Nerian too found himself gasping for air, a sigh of relief as he narrowly escaped death once again. But his brief repose was short-lived, as two more howling northmen charged him with axe and sword. He looked around upon the field strewn with dead and dying men, and plucked an enemy’s shield off the ground just as the first slashed through the air.

Nerian lifted the muddy shield up to catch the sword’s edge and swung back at the northman, only to meet the man’s shield as well. To his right, the other northman struck forth with his one-handed axe, so Nerian rammed the edge of his shield against his face and immediately swung his blade down on the man to his left again, clipping the northman’s shoulder. In kind, the northman struck down and sliced Nerian’s leg. He cried out, the pain searing through his limb, but Nerian could not stop. The other one had picked himself up and charged straight back, this time meeting Nerian with his own shield’s edge.

Nerian pulled his shield around and the two shields locked together, both unable to overtake the other. Unable to reach over Nerian’s large shield, the axeman tried to pull back, but Nerian struck at the man’s unguarded calves. A clean cut. The axeman wailed as he collapsed back down into the mud, his leg torn straight through. Nerian turned to face the other, but was met with another strike up against his shoulder this time. His chainmail clattered against the sword’s hard blow, stopping the blade from cutting through, but the force was enough to shatter Nerian’s bone. Through the agonizing pain, he gritted his teeth and slammed his shield into the man’s face. Nerian swung back his blade, and as the swordsman raised his shield to block, Nerian charged forth and tackled the northman down. Before the northman could lift his sword back up, Nerian took his knife and jabbed it once more through the throat. A quick twist, and the deed was done.

Nerian could feel his heart beat through his chest, his body drenched in sweat and his armor covered in thick, soggy mud. Everywhere his limbs ached, whether from the blows he suffered or overexertion. But he was nowhere near done. Nerian turned to see the wounded axeman crying out upon the ground, and then back ahead of him, where dozens of his men fought on against a seemingly endless horde. More approached. Was this the end?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:23:47 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2022, 01:23:34 AM »
A Tales of Cadamaria Story - Battle of Garagil Pass (Part 31)
The ground shook as the Northmen approached, and Captain Nerian, bleeding and exhausted, lifted his sword and shield to face them once more. He gritted his teeth, and through the needle-like pain in his leg and the burning weights of his arms, he braced for the clash of steel. As the shaking grew closer, Nerian paused. The rumbling grew closer, but they weren’t coming from the men before him. No, this one felt heavier, stronger… and it was behind him.

Nerian turned, and from the fog came white ghosts upon black stallions riding out from behind. One of the Northmen flailed his longaxe against Nerian, but before the blade could reach him, a white-caped rider speared him upon his point, sending the large man flying across the air. The rider’s horse reared up and swung its hooves up against the other two Northmen, and the rider thrusted forth his spear once more, piercing the man’s leather armor before the other chopping the spear’s head with his axe. The rider unsheathed his sword, and with a swift parry of the Northman’s axe, he slashed down against the man’s helm, knocking the Northman down. Before he had the chance to recover, Nerian rushed up and finished the Northman with a thrust  to the throat.

“Captain Nerian!” a stern, yet welcomed voice called from behind the iron mask. “I see you’re still well!”

“Master Gebhart?” Nerian looked up upon the large figure cloaked in brilliant white. Upon Gehbart’s black surcoat, two white dragons intertwined with a four-pointed star, the symbol of the Knights Chaplains. “Where’s Halan? I thought he’d be with you.”

“Of course not! He’s in no condition to fight! We’re here to get your men out.”

They looked upon the chaotic battle ahead. Men clad in red, white, and gray slashing, hacking, and slicing upon shield and steel, blood and flesh littering the ground, arrows flying across all directions, and a sea of fire just further up the road. The Chaplains’ arrival had pushed back the enemy, but still more came out of the fog.

Nerian shook his head. “That’s not possible, my Lord. My men are scattered out there. They came bearing down on us from all sides. We barely had time to regroup. There’s hundreds of others out there fighting for their lives. If they break through here, there’s no telling if we can stop them at the hill.”

“Lord Cuthred had a similar idea. But we don’t have the men to stop them.”

Confused, Nerian looked back to the lines and gauged the knights that came to his aid.

“Is that all we have?” he asked.

“A hundred men. All the Lord General’s allowed. We need to get everyone out, or we’ll all be dead if we stay here.”

Another group of Northmen then tried to rush Master Gebhart and Captain Nerian. With vicious rage in their voice, they charged the two men, but a dozen Knights Chaplains reared their horses and swiftly cut the Northmen down before they could reach the commanders.

“We’ll be leaving a thousand to die if we do. With all due respect, I’m not abandoning my men.”

“Then go back with who you can save. I’ll save the others in your stead,” said Gehbart.

“Then I’m certainly staying. You’ll need every help we have to save them.”

“Not with your condition. You’re as bloodied as my apprentice, and I’ve already told him he couldn’t fight with those wounds. If you insist on staying, then hold the line for us. We’ll regroup here once we’ve gathered the survivors.”

Master Gehbart then pulled the reins, with his dark steed galloping straight to the front. “Knights Chaplains! On me!” he cried out, his sword circling high in the air.

Nerian watched on as the white-caped riders funneled behind the Master Chaplain. They rammed through the Northmen fighters, barreling down the road and cutting a wide gap into their lines before vanishing back into the fog.

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2022, 01:58:15 PM »
Glad to see this is still going! The artwork is really nice too  :clapping: I've got to catch up on this

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2022, 11:01:55 PM »
Indeed @OGHM! This would be my attempt at writing a first-draft using the gardening method. I've written the vast majority of my work with the typical architect style, meaning my writing for outlines typically takes time compared to the actual writing.

I can certainly see why gardening can be a pain to write through. There's a commitment to write, but once it's on paper, you can't necessarily change it. There's a lot of details and nuances that might end up getting scrapped because of so many clashing and conflicting ideas. Sure, you have a lot of quantity sticking to this method, but the quality is rather poor at the end.

Still, a good experiment for myself. I get to write this story to the finish, albeit I'll likely need to scrap a large part of it. For those looking to find their own methods of writing, I highly suggest doing a combination of architect and gardening style. First get your general outline so you know what to expect, and then apply gardening techniques for character development and interactions. The best writers are like bonsai enthusiasts. They plan out the tree years in advance and constantly nurture the plant to the desired outcome.

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2022, 10:10:56 PM »
A little sneak peek for a big announcement that You can be a part of  ;) Stay tuned by the end of this month to learn more...

Offline sketch survival

• I'm Recovering
  • Alignment
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2022, 10:22:55 PM »
is this going to be publish
hiding who's going to coach me now?

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2022, 10:35:30 PM »
Soon™*  8)

I will hint that it has something to do with this forum. Something you can be a part of  ;) Stick around at the end of this month and I'll update everyone about it shortly.

* When it's ready

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »
If it's anything art related I'm interested already XD
I swear I'll actually read the story at some point T_T
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2022, 02:43:21 AM »
New artwork this time around! And with it comes new info about the upcoming event arriving January 30th!

I'll be hosting a brand new MangaRaiders contest aimed exclusively at those looking to develop their own stories. If you have any stories in the backburners, or would like to try your skills out against others, now would be the time to crack those open, because exactly 1 week from today, I will be announcing the opening of the Short Stories Contest, with a valuable prize awaiting! More details to come soon...

P.S.: The next update for "A Tales of Cadamaria Story - Battle of Garagil Pass" will come tomorrow. I've not forgotten that  8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:47:09 AM by Operative13 »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2022, 02:59:32 AM »
A Tales of Cadamaria Story - Battle of Garagil Pass (Part 32)
Halan promptly shoved Orm into the dressing station and pulled closed the curtains behind them. He then turned and untied the rope binding Orm’s wrists together, and nudged Orm forth through the dimly-lit narrow passage between the red and gold sheets separating the sick and wounded.

“Where are you taking me?” Orm asked.

“We’ll keep you here for safekeeping. They won’t tear through the wards just to find you,” Halan answered.

Orm snuck a peek at one of the sick wards set up at the other side of the station. One of the men had large, mangy-yellow pores covering his skin, to which a surgeon worked away with heated knives before suturing with thread and needle. Orm gritted his teeth.

“I’d rather meet a blade than be saddled with whatever cursed afflictions you have here.”

“You won’t be.”

Halan turned a corner and pulled back the curtains to reveal Eadith and the other girls still treating the wounded Knights Chaplains into the night. Many of the knights had fallen asleep, but the few that weren’t rose as best they could from their rest to give their undivided attention to their captain.

“Captain,” said Eadgar, rising from his chair. As soon as he said those words, Anso and Aldred also sprung up from their seats off to the side of the room.

Eadith too popped out of her seat, and greeted Halan and Orm with jubilant delight. “Captain Halan! Orm! What are you two doing here?”

The three girls exchanged puzzled glances.

“Does Eadith know him?” the tall blonde girl asked, pointing at the large, grimy man next to Halan.

Halan looked at his men and the girls. “I need your help. Orm needs to be kept safe and away from Lord Cuthred and the others.”

“Are they executing the prisoners now?” Anso asked.

“No, but I want to ensure we weren’t taken by surprise. Orm may have just saved us all.”

“What exactly did he tell you?” questioned Aldred, eyeing Orm with suspicion.

“Enough to say we’ve walked into a trap. They might have attacked our rear guard already.”

Aldred’s bearded mouth dropped. “The rear guard!? Are you certain?”

“We must assemble the Knights,” ordered Halan. “Anso, Aldred, I want the two of you to muster everyone at our command. Eadgar, you’ll help me with Orm.”

“As you wish, Captain,” Eadgar saluted.

Anso and Aldred nodded, and with haste departed from the tent.

Eadgar gestured at Orm. “What do you want us to do with him?”

“Hide him. Stow him away somewhere. Somewhere Cuthred can’t find him.”

“He’s a big man, and a nasty one too.”

Orm growled, cursing at Eadgar in Ellstrivari. Eadith cupped her mouth hearing those words, holding her laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

Halan shook his head. Ignoring Eadgar’s question, he pressed on. “Do what you can. But whatever happens, do not let the guards get him. Stall them if you have to.”

“I’ll try my best Captain, but as I said…” Eadgar eyed the burly man up and down. “...he’d be hard to hide.”

Eadith shot her arm up. “I can help you with that!” The others looked at her befuddled. “We’ll get Orm nicely shaved and cleaned up! He’ll look like the rest of us once he gets dressed in bright red!” She turned to the other girls behind her, a bright smile one cheek to the other.

“No one touches my beard,” Orm said.

“And we’re not touching that grimey ogre,” the blonde girl said, a disguised look on her face.

Halan turned to the girls. “That’s an order, you three. You listen to Eadith, or I’ll have your allowances cut.”

“As if!” the blonde girl hissed. “You don’t pay our allowances!”

“Who do you think pays your parents?”

The girls sat quiet, unable to answer.

“Fine. Just this once,” the blonde girl conceded.

“Good.” Halan then turned back to Eadith. “I’ll leave Orm to your care then.”

“Leave it to us, Lord Captain!” Eadith saluted.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:01:59 AM by Operative13 »

Online Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
looking forward to hearing about the competition!
I'm not really in a writing phase at the moment but I hope I'll be able to join it.

also that is a gorgeous illustration, the first with an actual BG? most are just white BG but this one has some nice rocks.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »
Try to join in however you can! Even great mangakas gotta learn how to tell a good story  ;)

I usually like to have an establishing character art before any additional art is added, hence why much of the art has been characters in white backgrounds. But I'm hoping sometime in the future I'll be able to pump out art with more backgrounds more consistently (Especially if I get additional funding  :ninja: )

Anyways, we're 5 days away from the contest! On the 30th, I will announce the contest format and the prize awaiting those that participate! Stay tuned!  :D