April 14, 2024, 01:44:28 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writing Log  (Read 47035 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Log
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2024, 09:53:30 AM »
Yeah, and I'm definitely only returning to the previous session's writing, not the whole chapter, just to get myself back into the flow.

Back when inspiration most recently hit me (that good good, mana from heaven, lightning bolt making your fingers itch sorta inspiration), the first thing I did was write out the beginning of a design document to catalog all of the thoughts I was having. Right at the beginning though, I had a real moment of clarity about why my previous writing would sometimes fall apart. So I came up with a list of promises to myself that I now refer to every time I sit down. Those are:

1. The characters will be human.
2. The plot will be fantastical.
3. The universe will be mysterious.
4. Humor will not substitute for bad writing.
5. Willful ignorance will not drive the story forward.
6. Style will not overtake substance.
7. There will be a strong connecting thread from the opening scene of the first book, to the closing scene of the last book.
8. We will present the strongest, most well thought out, and fully developed characters, plot, and universe that we are capable of. We will not resort to lazy writing to accomplish our goals.
9. We will read these promises to ourself before writing to remind ourself why we do what we do.

They definitely aren't universal, but so far they have been steering me in a strong direction, and keeping me from my laziest old habits.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2024, 04:57:18 PM »
Those are some decent points. Funny because I've just posted my own list of prerequisites for my manga with a similar "must be this", "must not be this" vibe.
I'm sure I've seen some of these points before so maybe you've mentioned them before. Actually has a similar vibe to the Evil Overlord List (WARNING!!! TVTROPES!!!)

As for me I managed to overcome my fears and wrote in novel format for the first time in maybe two years. Zero planning, just freewrote about 200 words. But it's a start. Hoping to reach 1000 words daily regularly of generic content to make sure I get the bad ideas out of the way XD I want to be able to use my commute to freewrite stuff if I can as well.
Also did a small bit of planning for my serial manga. But not nearly enough to get the ball rolling yet.
Feeling pretty pumped so hoping that sticks.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2024, 10:33:47 AM »
It's a classic list, but no, I can't say my own up there were based on anything, and I don't think I've shared them before. I wrote them pretty stream of consciousness about a year ago now, just based on a decade+ of experience. So more than anything, it's just a reminder to myself to actively remember and think about the obvious.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2024, 11:57:00 AM »
wrote about 1k words today, although leaning more towards outlines than scripts unfortunately.
I think if I sort through my ideas folder I can probably find some throwaway ideas that are fleshed out enough to write actual story content maybe. I can easily write ideas or concepts but not so easily commit to an actual script. Maybe because an idea is still flexible and always looks alright whereas a script is more unforgiving in how clearly bad it is.

Also did another 1k words planning for my new manga project. Starting to flesh out the world and setting now. Still stuck on chaarcters.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2024, 11:47:52 AM »
Outlines are always good, to a point. I watched the masterclasses from N.K. Jemisin, and she made a great point about outlines and world building time. Basically: she always sets herself a deadline. Something like 1-3 months to work on outlines, research , and world building before she has to shut it all dowm and just writes the thing. Of course anything she needs to still figure out she makes a note for, but otherwise she plows forward with the first draft. This way you don't get hung up on that details and never actually accomplish anything. After all, 1000 pages on world building is great, but if you don't write the book it's all for it isn't worth the space in your hard drive.

I find it to be salient advice coming from a successful sci Fi/fantasy writer. I almost fell back into that trap a few months ago until I reminded myself about her advice, and have put down some really good stuff ever since. We all have to remember no one would give a damn about Tolkien if the only thing he wrote was the Silmarilion. You need to have The Hobbit first.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2024, 01:35:44 PM »
yeah I do something similar with time limits, especially for editing stages which can suck up a lot of time with not much changes I try and limit the time spent.
But also have a specific date deadline is also useful to make sure you're not dwindling on output.
Breaking down the task and setting mini deadlines also helps a lot.

I've been semi-successful in the last couple of weeks, been forcing myself to write dialogue for random scenes to get my head in the game. Mostly it's junk but good practice to get all the bad words out the way :P
My manga project is hopelessly behind schedule though, the time has been sucked up with other things, most notably overtime at work, I've worked several extra days and it's thrown out my weekly schedule.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2024, 03:46:44 PM »
Yeah I feel that overtime thing. Even when you're back to normal work hours it usually takes a while after to recover mentally and physically.

Writing has been good for me. I'm not 100% happy with it, and I have some brackets in there for where I need to fill something in later, but I'm making progress. It doesn't sound like much but I'm almost done with my latest chapter 1. Although it's taken nearly a year, I don't feel like I've wasted any of it. My mind is much more comfortable with moving from one moment in the story to the next than it has ever been before. Time will tell how much I've improved, but I think this hiatus has really helped in the streamlining department. There's more florish to the language, but less overall bulk at the same time. At least that's my impression.