March 29, 2024, 03:06:17 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How Has Your Music Changed  (Read 3537 times)

Offline IndigoDoll90

• View Profile
How Has Your Music Changed
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »
I'm just curious how has you're interest in music changed over the years. Growing up I would listen to whatever my parents would listen to which was country. As I got into middle school I got into pop. Back then pop was very different then what it is now. By around 2012 I stopped listening to pop as much except for some of the pop I listened to in middle school and switched to rock.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: How Has Your Music Changed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:10:37 PM »
I've basically just added to my music taste without casting away anything I liked before for the most part. What follows is an over long and detailed account of my musical journey to date because I can't help it.

The first music I remember liking was Techno and Classic Rock. This started when the Sponge Bob movie came out and I loved the Goofy Goober Rock song and was amazed when my Dad told me it was an old Rock song and made me a mixed CD of Classic Rock and gave me Twisted Sister's greatest hits. I got out of that for a while for my phase of "music from things" when I was 10-11. Bionicle songs like "Move Along" and "Creeping In My Soul". Smosh and Robert Benfer songs (it was 2006-7 man) like "Boxman" and "Treeday", random things like the Knight Rider 2000 Theme, You're The Best, Man Behind The Mask, the Transformers Masterforce theme, whatever I picked up on. "What I've Done" made Linkin Park my favorite band for a while when Transformers came out. In Grade 6 I had perhaps my weirdest musical combo which was a simultaneous obsession with Michael Jackson and Sonic music. 

Then KISS came into my life in 2008 when my Dad showed me Phantom Of The Park and nothing was the same after that. The following year when I listened to my first full KISS album Psycho Circus my life was changed in a way. I became extremely obsessed and listened to every KISS song and over the years I've learnt all I could about the band. Following was Ac/Dc again, who are always my second favorite, Hair Metal bands and other Classic Rock. I was 70's and 80's Rock only and nothing else for a while. I was not a "born in the wrong generation" type but I was a "all modern music is trash" type for a while.

and then Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" came out and I was like "oh". I slowly realized I can like Pop music to. So I became more open to things. I got into increasing more "heavy" music from KISS to W.A.S.P. to Iron Maiden to Metallica to Megadeth and I stopped there. and then I started listening to J-Pop in 2013, first anime songs for a good while then albums by the artists who had songs I liked. Yui, Aya Hirano, Mami Kawada etc. Then came artists like Utada Hikaru, Mika Nakashima, Shiina Ringo, SCANDAL, Perfume and the more I got into it came Seiko Oomori, BiSH, BAND-MAID, and Maison Book Girl.

In 2014 I started listening to my musical hero Bruce Springsteen and that led to The Rolling Stones, Eagles and Jazz because I really liked Clarence's sax solos. Then I came to love The Beatles and Bob Dylan and I went back to the 50's and 60's. My Rock world changed when I started becoming more open to 90's and Alt Rock. Paipis changed my musical landscape forever when he casually mentioned Sonic Youth which opened my mind and led to Punk and true Alternate Rock. Highlights being The Misfits, The Smiths, The Clash, The Replacements and My Bloody Valentine. I was led to think I had to hate this kind of music, but it was misguided and I figured this out over time. I even came to like Rap with Ice Cube's early stuff and Kendrick Lamar, though I don't listen to much anymore. 

I always want to add and never take away. I listen to KISS and still love them as much as I did before, but also feel that joy when I listened to Daydream Nation or TOKYO BLACK HOLE or Emotion etc. I have a history of being stubborn and then blown away when my misconceptions are shattered. I haven't expanded my tastes much at all in the last year or so however.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:27:38 PM by Manimal »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »
I used to listen to a lot more classical music and English pop ,which my parents were into, but I started listening to more jpop when I got into anime, and now that's basically all I listen to on my own. I think the feel of music I like has always stayed about the same, not too heavy but not too light. Stuff that I can sing along to is nice.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »
I've actually thought about this before, because the music I listen to now is much different on what I was raised on - here's a list of how music progressed for me (this is over a period of time).

1. Classical music - My parents used to play it on the radio a lot, and I was also classically trained on the piano.
2. Ghibli Soundtracks - I loved them as a kid and they're saved as a separate thing in my mind c:
3. Jazz - At first I thought it was a bunch of nonsense, but it's really grown on me.

4. Game music/soundtracks - (Period of time where all I wanted to do was play LOZ on the piano.)
     - Other games included: Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, etc.
     - Since games included other music genres, I started to like jazz and rock through them.
5. Movie/TV Show Soundtracks - Doctor Who, Forbidden Kingdom and so on.

6. Vocaloid - I had a whole vocaloid phase. Wasn't a hug fan over the characters, but the whole synthesized voices and digital music intrigued me.
7. Utaite - People who sing Vocaloid covers (Still listen to a bunch of them: Soraru, Mafumafu, amatsuki, Eve, and more)
8. J-pop - But of course, you can't watch anime without bumping into this!

(Period where all I listened to was J-pop...)

9. K-pop - I was introduced to this late in the game (compared to some people that I know >_>) It was so bizarre to me at the time (like, what the rap?).  And ngl (don't kill me for this) I think I prefer J-pop better.
10. Rap - Not even sure how this happened. I was browsing on Youtube, watching music reaction videos, and yeah. Went through a phase listening to that.

And here we are. My playlist isn't completely subject to one genre. It's more like a compilation of all the songs that I've enjoyed from different areas. Heck, I actually don't know how to properly categorize the genres. :noidea: Who knows, my preferences might change in the future...
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
When I was but a wee lad, I, of course, listened to whatever my mum and dad (but mostly my mum) put on the radio in the car. I distinctly remember a lot of 90's pop and R 'n B... Pop groups like S Club 7 and Steps, boybands like Westlife and Boyzone, girl groups like Atomic Kitten, and single artists from Britney Spears to Natalie Imbruglia ("Torn" is actually still a favourite) were popular at the time, along with my Mum's personal love for ABBA, The Bee Gee's, Kylie Minogue and Madonna. As a result, the first physical music CD I ever owned was Blue's debut album "All Rise"...

My Dad, on the other hand, liked classic rock bands and older, ballady type stuff. When he was driving us (without my mum present to take control of the music), he'd put on AC/DC, Guns and Roses, Led Zeppelin, and Creedance Clearwater Revival, and, another band who were more modern and big at the time: Nickelback. To me, this was all different and exciting, so physical music CD number 4 (after Blue album number 2 and a Westlife album) was Nickelback's "Silver Side Up" (special edition with live performance DVD!).

I just naturally gravitated towards the more rocky stuff after that - it was louder and cooler and the instruments were awesome. I would watch out for rock band performances on Top Of The Pops, which is what led me to my next CD: "Dead Letters" by The Rasmus. In primary school I made friends with someone who loved the exact same two albums and we listened on repeat! At age 11 my Dad took me to my first gig, which was Nickelback touring "The Long Road" at Brixton Academy. I found it so loud that my ears rang for days, but I loved it! That was the year that Green Day's "American Idiot" released, and I listened to nothing but on my CD walkman all summer.

A couple of years later in 2006, my brother entered an early emo phase following an infatuation with Busted and McFly... As a birthday present, I had asked for The Killers' "Hot Fuss", which had been making the rounds for a year or so already. My brother got "Welcome To The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. I don't think I'd ever been truly captured by darker sounding songs before, but it slowly sunk some hooks into me. I was also listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers by then, as well as some of those older classic rock acts I mentioned earlier. Although I had previously played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on the playstation, it wasn't until I played the second game on the Gamecube that I started picking up on the soundtracks. Even then, at the time I only got into a couple of Jimmy Eat World and Less Than Jake songs, rounding out my taste to Rock, Radio-Alt-Rock, and Pop-Punk, of which I found a few more bands through TV and Kerrang Magazine.

A year or so later, everyone's emo phase was in full swing and I got recommended my first Screamo songs: A Static Lullaby's cover of "Let Go (by Frou Frou)", and "Hand of Blood" by Bullet For My Valentine. These were the new different and exciting, although I only remember getting into Avenged Sevenfold as a result... Then Guitar Hero 3 came out. It exposed me to a wide range of rock and metal music, including everyone's first Power Metal song - "Through The Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce - but I didn't actually take a whole lot from it at the time (other than discovering Slash's other band Velvet Revolver...).

It was around 2009 when everything just started happening all at once for heavy music and I. A slew of exciting new alt-rock bands were promoted really heavily by Kerrang; I had had a couple of years of pressing all the links on every post-hardcore bands' wikipedia pages to find all the bands everyone toured with or played for previously or as a side project; I babysat for someone with Sky TV so found Scuzz TV's heavy metal music video countdowns and discovered bands like Slipknot; I remembered bands like Bad Religion and Papa Roach from the Tony Hawk games sountracks; Killswitch Engage and Disturbed from Guitar Hero 3; and I played NHL09 on the PS3, which had perhaps my favourite soundtrack ever, properly acquainting me with Billy Talent, Coheed and Cambria, and Protest The Hero. A new wave of metalcore was also just exploding in popularity towards the end of the year and throughout 2010 due to Asking Alexandria's "Stand Up and Scream" and Attack Attack!'s "Stick Stickly".

From there it was just several more years of clicking wikipedia links for Metalcore Bands, until suggested videos on YouTube got better and I could discover new bands and songs that way. Music reviews in magazines, then online and then on Youtube were how I kept track of new releases, until Spotify and Apple Music became a thing and I could easily sample and discover by myself. My music taste was generally quite stagnant up until 2014 though. I was listening to nothing but post-hardcore and metalcore, but then Protest Hero and Coheed and Cambria tipped me into progressive and technical metal by re-introducing me to TesseracT and Periphery.

After that I made a conscious effort to expand my music taste a bit. I started listening to older rock again, as well as old school R 'n B (Chaka Khan and Whitney Houston) and a bit of those solo alt pop artists (Kate Bush, Tracey Chapman, Natalie Imbruglia, Vanessa Carlton). I also got into other genres through rock and metal fusions - funk rock and jazz, and this even got into smooth/lounge jazz. Blind Guardian got me into Folky music. Strangely enough, getting into Scandinavian Folk brought me full circle and got me into Atmospheric/Folk Black Metal, which in turn led me to some of the most brutal music I've ever gotten into. currently I am interested in getting into instrumental sountracks from TV, Movies, Anime and Games, to have some background music available for when I write and work.

Oddly, despite being an avid manga and anime fan throughout my teens and early 20s, I never really got into Anime OP's beside the odd one-off song here and there ("Unravel" and "The World" come to mind). There are several Japanese artists I like (Dir En Grey, early Crossfaith, Crystal Lake, Coldrain, Ningen Isu, Sigh, MONO etc.), but they don't sound very "anime". A key factor is that I really struggle with very cheesy lyrics, especially random exclamations in english... Other genres that I just can't really get into by themselves (with very rare exceptions) include K-Pop, J-Pop, Rap and Hip-Hop, Radio Pop, Pop Rock - not for lack of exposure or trying.