March 28, 2024, 04:14:28 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: GIMP is version 2.10+!  (Read 11918 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
GIMP is version 2.10+!
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:26:17 AM »
So I happened to be having trouble with my tablet and wondered if GIMP was the problem instead and I just discovered that GIMP has been released in v2.10+ for ages now. There's a lot more features and stability that's been added apparently, including support for PCs with less muscle to process images better with less lag/crashing.

I'm a bit nervous to switch over after all this time in 2.8 but I'm sure it's just the same program. Especially as I work with large images (because of working in bulk) I'm hoping it clears up some of those little lags here and there that I get.

Just thought I'd let you guys know since if I didn't know, someone else might not know either.

to download:
https://www.gimp.org/
has some tutorials and stuff as well.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
Re: GIMP is version 2.10+!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:06:59 AM »
Just a reminder to anyone using GIMP that it does update frequently and you can get the latest version at https://www.gimp.org/ as always. It seems they have gone for a much more streamlined look that seems quite similar to photoshop.
The latest version also checks for updates so you dont have to, although I don't know if it auto-installs it.
I'm only upgrading to fix a bug a I just discovered but I hope it's even better than before.

Also stay tuned for GIMP 3 which they are planning which sounds awesome.

EDIT well I instantly disabled 2 of their new features and it looks same as before now haha. They made changing brush size a lot more complicated with key pressing while sliding rather than just sliding. I mean good if you have your keyboard near you but that's not me.

And it also didn't fix my bug either but now I know a way around it so all is fine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:25:22 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Man normally I'd be all the way on the hype train but GIMP has some slight quirks that just put me off. I've gotta say it's one of the best attempts at a freeware photoshop and is a powerhouse for many things but I'm still on the fence. I'll download it again for the heck of it but I'm actually okay with my photoshop CS2.

GIMP 3 would be cool.

Also you can make scripts on GIMP right?

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:18:25 AM »
I think almost any large program has bugs of some sort or another, I mean even Windows has it's issues. But if those bugs affect your workflow then it can be an issue.
The older programs, while not as versatile, are indeed probably more stable.

Yes GIMP you can write your own scripts, which I'm getting a bit more into these days with levelling up my workflow. I've got about 10 scripts I use regularly, but some are just a single command, but with the exact settings I use every time.