March 29, 2024, 01:19:51 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Lace Drawing Methods (GIMP)  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Lace Drawing Methods (GIMP)
« on: March 21, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »
Since Lego requested it and I was planning to do it anyway, here's a couple of methods to generate lace, one from my tip thread and a new one for a slightly different style. I will update as I find new methods that are useful, and since I love drawing lace, it gets its own thread. It'll get quite packed I think.

This post is an index as always.
If you have any requests, including how to generate existing designs you have found on pinterest etc, please ask. I love the challenge.

Simple brush lace

Dotted pattern lace
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:05:37 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Lace Drawing Methods (GIMP)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
Here's a repost of my lace tutorial, as it is relevant to this thread now.
You need a basic understanding of the selection and path tools.

First create a path that is the route you want your lace to follow (i.e. along the edges of a dress). I use the "lasso select" tool to draw an area, and then "Selection to Path", so I always have a complete loop. You can draw the path using the path tools too.

Alter your brush settings "spacing" to about 95% of your brush width so it dabs down circles rather than drawing a thick line

In the Path options, chose "Stroke Path" and chose the "Stroke with a paint tool", "Paintbrush" Option. Don't emulate dynamics unless you know what you're doing.

bam

Using the same path, go "Path to Selection" and then press delete, to remove the inner semicircles

Now use the "Fuzzy Select" tool to click outside the shape, "Invert Selection" and you will have a cloud shaped selection (as opposed to a whole image selection with a cloud shaped hole in it), "Selection to Path" again.

Change the width of your brush to much smaller than the original brush, maybe 10-15% or so.

"Selection > Select None" if you still have your selection active. Stroke the path you have just created with the smaller brush.
bam. instant lace.

In my case I used a whole loop of a path to begin with, so I erase any extra parts that I don't want

This method of combining paths and selection with the stroke path feature is quite powerful and in testing I have come up with some nice results. But they're saved somewhere I can't find so I'll include them in the larger tutorial later.

Edit: I found one. Before making a path from the selection, I used "selection shrink" to make it smaller, to make the white circles appear inside the main outline. So that's another way that you can play with the Selection and Paths.

Depending on the shape of the brush you use there are an incredible range of styles you can achieve.

Advantages:
-Fast for larger lengths (super useful for small edging that is all over the place)
-Accurate & Neat
-Can produce varied designs

Disadvantages
-Always looks flat
-Slow/Annoying for shorter lengths (a lot of effort for just a tiny piece)
-Lengthy method and difficult to get desired result without practice

Let me know if any of that made sense :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
This method generates a lace design in a similar way to the previous method, but you have more control over the pattern that it will be, and can generate more complex patterns of lace. it's just as quick and is super pretty.

I'll be snappy with the instructions but also I'll try and be clear, as always ask if you're not sure.

1) Create a new transparent layer. Using a thickish brush (~20px in my example), draw a flower or other pattern, on the transparent layer

2)Using the bucket, fill the spaces inside your design. You can use any colour that is not similar to your line colour. White is perfect but I want it to show up in the tutorial.
(This is so when we use the shape as a brush later, as it draws, it hides any pattern that is under it, otherwise it is transparent and shows through, looking bad)

3)Draw a selection box around your shape and Copy it (Ctrl-C or Edit-Copy)
Change your brush to "Clipboard brush" it should look like your shape you have just drawn

4)Adjust your spacing so it stamps down a flower that just overlaps the previous one. Additionally you can set the dynamics to "Track Direction" or "Random Angle" (if you dont have the dynamics you can make them yourself easily) to adjust the angle of the flower as you draw. I use both interchangeably.

Spaching too low: (10-20%)

Spacing too high: (100-200%)

Perfect: (around 70-90%)

^But as part of a combined design, having the spacing very high is good for adding extra patterns to a base idea you already have, such as dotting a flower here and there to build up a lace pattern in one area more than another.

5)Draw the path you want your lace to follow. I do a large curving back and forth as standard.

6)Using the "Select by colour" tool or the "Fuzzy select tool", click on the lined part of your flower pattern to select just the pattern part. Set the threshold to about 30% to pick up any soft edges your original brushstrokes had.
Hide your pattern layer and make a new transprent layer. You should be left with just your selection visible.

7)Change your brush back to the original settings. Change the size to about 20% of the original (~4-5px in my example), and the spacing to about 150-200%
Make sure your new transparent layer is selected.
Go to Edit>Stroke selection. Option:Stroke with a paint tool. Dropdown list:Paintbrush. Press "Stroke"
Then Select>None to remove your selection. You should be left with a dotty outline of your flower pattern

You can stop at this point, or add an outline around the outside.

8)Make your previously hidden layer visible again and using the "Fuzzy select" tool, click outside the pattern. Select>Invert to get just the selection around your pattern.
Then Select>Border.Option: Border style - smooth. Choose a reasonable width(~4-5px)
Select your dotted layer.
Using the fill bucket, fill the selection you have just made. If it is too thin, the dots will be visible behind it.

And there you have 2 versions of a dotted patterned lace.

This has a nice advantage that you can draw any pattern you want (roses work nicely)
You can also save your pattern as a brush to use later, if you are using the same pattern again or it's a generic flower shape etc. In your brushes window, right click and select "Duplicate brush", which will make a permanent copy.
A lot of this method can be done very quickly with shortcuts for all the tools.
You can combine 2 or more different shapes with different dotty spacing/thickness for a really varied lace.
You can also use multiple colours in your original flower design, and do different dot patterns for each part of the design. I really want to play around with this idea in particular more.

I'm working on turning these into auto-scripts but it's a lot of steps in different orders to generate different types of lace so I don't want to make it too generic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:10:32 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »
I only got so far with the first method (I couldn't make the negative patterns within the initial one) , but with this update I'm officially in business. Oh heck yes the power of custom brushes! This is amazing man thankee!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
maybe you clicked inside or on the shape instead of outside?
Or your fuzzy select tool options are out of whack. Make sure the mode is set to "replace" as in the image below.

if you're getting stuck post how far you got (including your tool settings) , and I'll try and get you through it :P