March 29, 2024, 01:20:30 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What do you want to see something new in anime?  (Read 19585 times)

Offline Aeaphie

• Working at my own world
    • View Profile
What do you want to see something new in anime?
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
For me, it would be, no more fanservice and ordinary highschool MC that becomes OP in the next few episodes. I'd rather have Death Note like anime series instead.
Be the best of what you can be~

Offline devola

• View Profile
Re: What do you want to see something new in anime?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
I'd like to see an anime done with Wes Anderson styled dialogue/cinematography. Something with more sarcasm and subtlety than you typically would get in anime. I'd also like for there to be more multilingual seiyuu that can voice characters from around the globe when they show up in anime. It's not a huge problem but engrish is really jarring sometimes when it shows up unintentionally. I recognize that authenticity isn't a priority for anime at large though, since most anime is marketed towards Japanese people where the distinction between engrish and english isn't always important. Still it'd be nice.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
I'd like to see more characters that I genuinely connect with. It feels to me these days that a lot of the major popular stuff in the scene just doesn't click, like the writers play it too safe, if you follow. Anime feels so formulaic and trope-y, and, while that's not a bad thing innately, it keeps falling flat.

But, then again, I can't really expect things that speak to most people to speak to me also. That might be part of the problem, really. Some writers try to broaden the audience so much that the creation can't handle it well.

On the other hand, it may be partially my fault as well. I don't form attachments easily in the first place, so to expect things to succeed in forming attachments is kind of counter-productive and leads to frequent disappointment. I also don't look for things that make me feel hype or good particularly, and that seems to be what the market is these days. Look at these heroes overcoming things! Look at how a tragic past doesn't stop them from showing kindness! Isn't it great? I question that kind of reality too much. I can't suspend enough disbelief to just let things happen and wrap up. It goes against many of the things I've witnessed and experienced.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
The kind of shows I like end up being made atleast once a year. This year it was A Place Further Than The Universe, the exact tone and anime I love most. It checks off nearly everything I want from anime at this point, the only downside being so-so animation.

I want grounded slice of life, with real relatable themes and actual good characters. One that has some kind of goal or narrative to it. There is a very specific kind of anime I like, and a balance of cheese and typical anime themes. K-On! being the idea of the perfect anime I look for these days, yes it does have a narrative and slow character progression. I want more anime with rock band focuses that aren't all Bang Dream, oh we gotta aim big, but more framing like how it's used in White Album 2. I like anime that exists in some kind of grounded world, it's hard to describe but I end up finding what I want sometimes. I'm very specific on what I like, and just being a slice of life show with cute girls doesn't cut it unless it has that extra level like Amanchu, Flying Witch (a show that has magic in a completely realistic grounded Earth) etc.

I also just want a college anime haha, Golden Time got that right. I want more characters my age. I also want more anime like Bakuon where school girls do things you don't expect. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:05:01 PM by Manimal »

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
I'd like to see something I haven't already seen.

I'd like to keep watching My Hero Academia. It's a great anime, but I've already seen it in every shounen ever.

Offline Aeaphie

• Working at my own world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »

I'd like to keep watching My Hero Academia. It's a great anime, but I've already seen it in every shounen ever.

So what do you like to see?
Be the best of what you can be~

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:11:37 PM »
O mean, I'd just like to see some deeper characters for once. I don't mean #deep, but like, actually take the time to develop well rounded humans for your show, and don't just spit out another trope.

It feels like forever since I've actually had to wonder how a character was about to react in a situation. It's not that the stock personalities don't have a place, but at least make them feel like actual people with those personalities.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »
Yeah, Coryn. I feel like you and I both are touchin on that. Any coincidence that we're both writers, lol?
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:50:36 PM »
Pretty much the same sentiments as Mahlua and Coryn. Also, I wanna see more protagonist make more mistakes. Aand not just any old mistake, mistakes that can have a grave impact on the story, in a way that not only changes the direction of a plot, but the progression of a character. I wanna see more into their psyche and how setbacks can really change a hero's outlook on life and shape them into having a more realistic perspective on life, rather than just being a goody two shoes all of the time.

I also wanna see more selfishness out of a protagonist. I feel like most main characters nowadays put others over themselves a little too often. So yeah, more human characters I guess.   
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
Bruh, Frono, have you seen or read Gantz? I feel like that would be up your ally with that description.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »
@ Manimal

You are definitely singing my tune when it comes to anime. I used to be really into action stuff but lately the more whimsical shows like A Place Further Than the Universe have really captured me. I would love to have more shows like that.

Surprisingly, I also really enjoyed Yuru Camp. While it's the typical, cute girls doing cute things setup, something about Yuru Camp was just a little bit different. I'm not quite sure what it was but the overall vibe in the show felt less exploitative than other moe shows? I dunno, maybe it's something about the comfyness or just how genuine everything in the show felt that made it different.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 12:19:40 AM »
@Mahlua: No, I haven't, but I'll probably add it to my list of series that I'll check out eventually.
Messatsu...

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:10:16 AM »

So what do you like to see?

I like to see anime like My Hero Academia. I enjoyed Naruto, but it's not nearly as entertaining when you watch it a second time. Now I'm starting to like Shoujo more, maybe just because it's new to me now because I started with shounen. But I don't want to keep watching Naruto over and over again. I enjoyed it the first time. Now it's time to move on.

I'd like to see  something crazy like Shounen with a female protagonist, I guess like Soul Eater. Or some kind of Action Shoujo like Miss Koboyashi's Dragon Maid. Innovation. I want to see an anime do what others won't.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
For me, it would be, no more fanservice and ordinary highschool MC that becomes OP in the next few episodes. I'd rather have Death Note like anime series instead.
As much as I don't like death note I agree with that :P

I am completely sick of fanservice and badly done tsundere.
I like sci-fi but not mecha, so Steins;Gate was great for me. Something really confusing time-travel wise would be nice.

I don't mind OP characters, or characters becoming OP really quickly, but it has to be justified and feel right, not just because of "plot". there a lot of that lately.

I am also partial to the stuck-in-a-game-world genre, but again it has to be balanced otherwise suddenly everyone is OP because of "plot". Also nothing feels awesome because its in a game. Log Horizon sort of balanced that a bit because it was a game, but also wasn't, kind of feel.

Basically an anime with actual story would be nice instead of cookie cutter stamped harem animes.

Done well, fanservice, tsundere, even harem isn't bad, but lately everyone is copying everyone else and theres no originality in story or personality.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 02:10:23 PM »
Weirdly enough, I wouldn't mind seeing another ecchi harem anime if, again, characters were given depth and development, or at least more than one personality dimension.

Since you mentioned stuck-in-another-world genre, I'm reminded that I probably would have liked Re:Zero a heck of a lot more if it weren't basically written as "torture the cinnamon roll" except the cinnamon roll is a piece of s--- kid with toxic masculinity issues. I felt like I was supposed to have sympathy for him, but...I dunno. He always made an embarrassment of himself and others. I'm amazed his party didn't just kick him our or leave him somewhere, but I guess that would involve taking actual character motivations into account over "plot"(tm).
Haha signature go brr.