March 29, 2024, 01:39:43 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Which Anime series you are watching ?  (Read 339431 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Which Anime series you are watching ?
« Reply #1890 on: August 31, 2020, 04:09:34 PM »
man Black Lagoon was one of my early animes too, I was thinking about rewatching it the other day funnily enough :D

animes I've finished since last time:

-No Guns Life
Nice settings and cool characters. nice plot. watching the current airing season now.
-Sword Gai The Animation
Pretty weak plot if you ask me, lots of 3d fights in mechasuit things. not my cup of tea.
-Hachi-nantte, Sore wa Nai Deshou!
An alright Isekai anime. not very interesting but it developed ok.
-Mob Psycho 100 II
An interesting development to the characters, my dislike for Reigen grew as it didnt seem like he had any growth through his expereinces.

animes added to my watching list:
-Princess Connect! ReDive (a cute Isekai(?) so far)
-The God of High School
-Deca-Dence
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 08, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
I was watching Dorohedoro on Netflix and have been really enjoying it. I have currently switched over to the manga, but I think I will go back and finish the anime season first and then continue with the comic.

I'm super drawn to the Weird Fantasy vibe, and the action and mystery elements are pretty compelling also. It kinda dumps you in the deep end a bit without explaining much, but nowhere close to as much as BLAME! did and I loved that series too.

Highly recommend :)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 08, 2020, 11:13:43 AM »
Dorohedoro is great! It's one of those shows where I always loved watching past the end credits because it did a great job of keeping you on track with the little "today we learned" segments.

The whole thing is definitely super weird, but it doesn't take long for you to pick up on the world. Anything it doesn't tell you right away is used to build the mystery at the center of the show, so really it all works out pretty great.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 10, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
So I finished the season of Dorohedoro on Netflix last night. Mappa did a great job with it in my opinion, with some of the best CG animation I've seen in an animated series to date. Moreover, the world and story, and especially the characters, just drew me in. It's chaotic, bombastic, full of personality, creepy in a good way and most importantly for me, it was just fun. I'm going to be continuing the story by reading the manga, but I hope that it gets a season 2 for those who are more anime inclined.

@Coryn I just thought that the music tracks for the end credits were great so Ienjoyed sitting through and listening to them. The little animations were fun too. The "Today we learned" segments were ok, very quickfire and kinda good at clarifying if you aren't sure about the conclusions you are drawing from the story.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 11, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »
Well as you say, with how wacky the world is and just full of detail, it's nice to know you can enjoy them in the moment, and that if you miss something you'll get a recap delivered by the show itself.

I'm also a major fan of that intro. Both the out there visuals and the music. I liked the song so much it's now officially part of my running playlist: "Run Run Anime Bullsh*t". Because few things get the blood pumping like a good anime intro, lol.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 15, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
Finished series:

-Princess Connect! ReDive
Mixed feeling but both good feelings. This felt like a light hearted isekai slice of life but definitely kept hinting towards more serious backstory and plot. I felt it would have been good with or without, but the serious elements were so infrequent it sort of didn't feel like it fitted. Like the entire series was filler, sort of feel. Either way it was a nice watch.
-Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
Finally finished this since I stopped watching anime like a few years ago. Basically another Madoka, quite raw and full of emotions. I can't say I quite understood the ending but alls well that ends well. Didn't feel too original, probably because it will always get compared to Modoka.
-Kami no Tou
I nearly didn't watch this because of the more sketchy art style. It's a well done story. The only annoying thing is, the entire plot is about climbing this tower to get your wish granted at the top, but the entire show was the characters taking the test to gain permission to climb the tower. So from that perspective I felt cheated, but if a sequel comes out then that would be a great continuation. Definitely ended on a cliffhanger.

I don't think I've added any new shows since last time.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 15, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
In a bit of a incomplete anime Hell at the moment. But I think Gundam Unicorn has me full in after watching the first 2 episodes tonight. Other series I've part watched recently and need to get back to...

Turn A Gundam (8 Episodes)
- This show certainly is interesting and makes itself stand out from the other series with it's unique technology and gradually revealing more about it's world as it goes. After watching G Gundam and Wing with their God tier opening songs and extreme 90's cool factor it was jarring to suddenly go to this show. But it's different. But it quickly won me over and there was a moment in episode 8 that made me go "ya I like this show". So I will certainly continue with this one, it doesn't draw me in as much though. I do love the computer age graphics on the eyecatch, it sounds like it could be a Windows start up jingle. The look of the Mobile Suits is really neat also.

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories (3 Episodes)
- Now this was just an awesome 3 episodes and it's only 12 episodes. I guess my timing was off because I really liked this. The mobile suit designs are super cool in this show and the animation is excellent. I can't wait to see the Full Burnern in action. 

Patlabor (1.5 Episodes) 
- Once again this was a really great start for what seems like a very fun show. It has an upbeat tone already and I like the cast from the first episode. It reminds me a lot of You're Under Arrest which is the anime I wish I finished the most (it's been 5 years). I will get back to this 100%. My Internet cut out during the second episode which told me to wait for another time when I have finished up all this other stuff.

Full Metal Panic! Forth Rewatch (3 Episodes)
- This show is so comfy and warm to watch. It is the anime I am most nostalgic for and I still love it so much. However rewatching it is just like "yup that scene, oh ya that scene". I got a lot from my rewatchs of Evangelion and Black Lagoon this year but perhaps now isn't the right time to rewatch Full Metal Panic.

Also I watched Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro which I hadn't seen before. Totoro was not as grand as I imagined. It was really just the animation especially the striking background/environment work that made it good. I don't know what I was expecting though. I liked Ponyo a lot more, even though I don't think orange hair guy was explained enough. The Mom was a very interesting character, she felt more...realistic than some anime Moms. Ponyo's second form is kind of terrifying though, much like the cat bus in Totoro which gave a very uncertain emotion.   

I need to say once again that G Gundam was one of the best anime I've ever seen (top 10) and I still am like man oh man that show was so much fun.   

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:24:34 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 28, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 

I have never seen anime be as completely epic and theatric as Unicorn. This was seven and a half hours of wonderfully paced high production melodrama and action. A great tribute to the original Gundam and an ending that is worthy of it's universe.

From the start everything about Unicorn is grand. There are fights that are like nothing you could ever see in normal anime and it continues the Newtype thing to new levels. Basically it's full of space magic which is something I love about the original Gundam series. While the story itself wasn't the most amazing there was a certain ability this show had to make me feel every emotion a good anime makes me feel. Even at times I didn't know quite what was going on the combination of soundtrack, voice acting and flashy animation got to me. There were so many moments where I felt emotionally engaged, fully invested and focused. Goosebump moments and even some wet eye near the end. Unicorn is great at bringing out emotional reactions.

This series brings a good mix of character drama and mobile suit action. It's animation is fantastic. It doesn't look nearly as cool as the old shows however you can barely tell when CG is used most of the time. Only on the Unicorn Gundam and a few of the ships can you notice. Otherwise the production values are outstanding. The soundtrack is brilliant! There are so many great insert songs also. When Aimer's "Re: I Am" played I instantly got goosebumps for how awesome a scene it was. I knew the song before and liked it so seeing it in the show took it over the top. The use of Chemistry's "Merry-Go-Round" was also brilliant for bringing out a different emotion.

The dub is top quality, one of the best I've ever heard. It was handled with great care, with everyone cast perfectly. This show gets so dramatic and angsty at points and it always worked for me. I liked the characters, Captain Bright was amazing as he always is. Marita was my favorite and Banagher wasn't bad. He was like an upgraded Kamille. The mobile suits are okay. The Unicorn grew one me and I liked the Kshatriya. It showed a naturally progress from the designs in Zeta.

If you haven't seen the original, Zeta and Char's Counterattack then this show won't be as good. I skipped ZZ and there were only a couple small things I felt I missed. Unicorn is a fitting tribute to the originals. I really enjoyed this show and it gave me a unique experience. It was like nothing I've seen before. I would say the story was just alright but everything else is top quality. Unicorn is indeed really good.     

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 30, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
Finished anime:
-Deca Dence
Wow. An actual anime that begins and ends in a single season. What a throwback. And a decent story to boot. Not a favourite but definitely a top list.
-Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha
No surprises how this ended, but I'm not even mad. I really liked the OP main character and definitely wouldn't mind watching more. Not really one to rewatch though.
-UQ Holder! Mahou Sensei Negima! 2
I read the manga of this and the anime felt very different from what I remembered, it felt a lot more like fan service to the original series than the manga did. Overall, a bit of a disappointment, but that might be my fault for remembering it wrong.
-Sword Art Online Alicization
SAO has pretty much gotten worse with each season, the story isn't as strong or gripping, and they keep dragging the entire original cast back for what might as well be cameos. I felt there were a lot more plot holes than previously as well. It was nice to watch because I like fantasy, but overall disappointing.
-Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
An interesting concept and overall enjoyable, but definitely felt like wasted potential. Each 2 episode story was enjoyable in it's own way and there were quite a few laughs.

New anime I'm watching:
-Monster Musume no Oisha-san

I'm waiting for a few eps of this season of each anime and then I'm going to watch some airing stuff this season as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:48:03 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: October 16, 2020, 02:03:09 PM »
Dropped Anime:
-Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae
I dropped this 4 episodes in, it just felt like very weak reason for people getting cursed, like Conan murder level motives. Didn't seem to be an overall plot with each episode being a different situation. I almost never drop an anime so that's how pointless I felt it was.

Finished Anime:
-Monster Musume no Oisha-san
Could have been really good but catered to the ecchi/harem more than I would have liked. Trying to force a harem situation on a doctor who obviously will see and touch patients bodies was painful to watch. Humour was forced a lot of the time for the same reason. Otherwise it felt like an animation of a monster girl wikipedia. Also for the same reason no male patients? I guess they can just go die then /s
-Kekkai Sensen & Beyond
Really good second season, pretty much the same crazy plot. Nice episodes and lots of funny moments. Epic battles with crazy abilities.
-The God of High School
Went just like the manga, a good watch but really one season didn't get far into the manga at all. Nice music and animation.
-Gekijouban Toaru Majutsu no Index Endymion no Kiseki (Movie)
Same as all the rest of the Index range. An interesting watch with the same characters as always.
-No Guns Life 2
A continuation from the first series. A cool plot and good characters. Interesting action. Overall a good watch.
-Bungou Stray Dogs
I put off watching this for ages but it was recommend to me by a friend. It was very enjoyable with some good action and overall plot arc. Interesting abilities of each characters and good character development.
-Re.Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season
Ended on a strange point same as last time. Waiting for a continuation. Otherwise a pretty good watch, although I miss the feeling I had in the first half of the first season.

Anime I'm picking up this season (based on first episode alone)
-100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatte Iru
Interesting spin on an Isekai
-Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka III
I don't know if it's cliched or what but I really like it so far.
-Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Raihousha Hen
More of the same I'm guessing. OP main character is great.
-Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
I've read the manga, great Isekai with a nice OP character. I hope I like it.
-Majo no Tabitabi
Not sure which way this will go plotwise but so far a nice fantasy watch.
-Akudama Drive
Seems like a Danganronpa style anime so far.
-Assault Lily
Not sure if I'll watch this
-Hanyou no Yashahime - Sengoku Otogizoushi
Wait, isn't this just Inuyasha 2?
-Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou Arui wa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen
A modern fantasy feel. I'm a sucker for these regardless of the plot.
-King's Raid - Ishi o Tsugu Mono-tachi
Fantasy again. Why not.
-Maoujou de Oyasumi
Might drop this
-Noblesse
Strange I thought this had an anime already, although I hadn't seen it. I've read the manga.
-Tonikaku Kawaii
Romance, reminds me a bit of Ore Monogatari.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:06:37 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: October 29, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 

My expectations were rock bottom for this show, and yet I was still curious. At first I was enjoying it but I thought it was "kind of bad". Before I knew it I was invested and came to really like the characters. Then by the end I loved it. Gundam SEED was an awesome series that recaptured the thrill of my first anime series and had me engaged in it's drama for the whole ride. Not once did I feel the show dipped in quality or had a rough patch. It only got better the more it went on until it's fantastic emotional ending.

SEED is plainly a teen demographic show, more so than the original. It's full of soap opera drama which if I'll be honest...I love. I was really into the dynamics between the characters and I ended up liking the whole cast. It's one of those series with an overpowered main character who you know can't lose, and yet I still had a sense of excitement and suspense in the battles. SEED had a very strong cast, I even liked characters such as Flay who was the one that caused most of the drama on the ship. Kira and Athrun were the friends forced to fight which made for something interesting. Captain Ramius was great and so was Mu La Flaga. Cagalli was a good character...I just really liked them!

The story was good and very competent in SEED. It was easy to follow and had all the elements you expect in a Gundam series. While SEED heavily mirrors the original show it has themes of it's own such as genetic modification. It has recognizable elements but then it does it's own thing with them. There were plenty of emotional moments that really worked for me. The combination of soap opera drama and military, which was a big thing in the first part of the show, was good. Then it ends in an awesome space battle for the last 8 episodes, all of which were top notch. SEED really payed off and was a very enjoyable watch.

The soundtrack was brilliant and high quality. The songs were beautifully dated to the early 2000's with the Nightcore ready arcade racer beats. I really liked the first opening "Invoke", a song so catchy you can't forget it. Mika Nakashima's "Find The Way" was used to amazing effect in the last episode. I watched the HD remaster and it looked pretty good! The artstyle is heavily dated and I had to get used to it. At first I found it off putting but then I came to like it. The Gundams are so cool in this show. The Strike, Freedom, Justice, Providence, M1 Astrays, these are fantastic designs that have bulky and great aesthetics. Everything is very colourful and outside of some CGI shots of the ships it still looks pretty good thanks to the remaster. 

I found SEED to be a great series and I had a fantastic time watching it. In some ways it reminded me of when I first watched Full Metal Panic! in 2008. It's a very different show (FMP is not Sci-Fi) but since it was made around the same time there are familiar elements. I was expecting a really dumb series but I came away really liking it! We'll see about SEED Destiny, my expectations are rock bottom with that show. So if I like it, cool, and if not I won't be disappointed. SEED is a certain 8/10 for me.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: November 02, 2020, 06:19:42 AM »
Rent-A-Girlfriend 

This was a dumb show from last season with a silly premise that ended up being pretty enjoyable. In some ways it's your standard anime romance, comedy, harem fluff. In other ways this show can be outrageous and gives us some...unique...scenes. Also they are college age! So rare and so great to see in anime. Please make more college setting anime like Golden Time!

Kazuya gets dumped by his girlfriend of one month so he turns to an app that lets you "rent" a girlfriend. Basically a wholesome hooker without sex to take a dates. Things get crazy when he starts showing her off to his friends and then both of their Grandmas get involved. Basically with every episode it gets more complex and then a few other girls show up to create an anime love triangle. There are a few moments that are too real in this anime and it was hilarious. I mean there is a scene where Kazuya starts herking his gurk to a picture of his ex girlfriend but then he starts thinking about his rental girlfriend and he debates who he loves during a 2 minute jerk with a Rock song playing in the background. I might forget a lot about this show but I'll always remember and associate it with this scene for how crazy and unexpected it was.

It explores the premise as it goes and has it's serious moments. Of course there can't be too much progress made towards Kazuya and Chizuru forming an actual relationship otherwise there wouldn't be a show. Other girls like Kazuya's ex Mami, a thrill seeker dead set on being his girlfriend Ruka and a really awkward sweet girl Sumi round out the cast. I like Kazuya's friends, they kept it real. and his Grandma is like a pro-gamer with headset and laptop, wasting her money on microtransactions. You can't take the show too seriously and over analyze it otherwise you see how awful Kazuya treats Ruka by leading her on when he has no interest in her and how evil and spiteful Mami is.

I found Rent-A-Girlfriend to be good fluff. It was fun to watch and had some pretty crazy moments. I watched the show because the peggies did the OP "Centimeter" which is fairly good. The artstyle is average here and the voice acting is good. As a buffer series between Gundam entries for me this was just a decent light watch.

Golden Boy (Re-Watch) 

SO EDUCATIONAL! Golden Boy is a pure classic and it was nice to watch again after 6 years. This is just a super enjoyable six episode OVA with some of the most hilarious moments in anime history. Kintarou is a legend, even though he's a big pervert with a toilet fetish he's well meaning, thoughtful and out to learn. Roaming around like The Littlest Hobo from town to town, taking new jobs and meeting fine women. Each episode is distinct with it's own theme and the animation is fantastic.

The dub is why Golden Boy is so good. This is one of the greatest dubs ever, it enhances the quality of the show. Doug Smith does to Kintarou what Mark Gatha did for Domon in G Gundam. He's so outrageous and dedicated to the role that it transcends. His comedic timing and cartoony voices are so hilarious. The first episode is my favorite with so many classic deliveries. This show wouldn't be half as good without him, and the voice actresses are also mostly great as well. It's a complete classic 90's dub that gives the show so much charm and character. So ya, Golden Boy was great before and still just as good now.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:00:58 PM by Manimal »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: November 15, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »
Finished Anime:

-Kekkaishi
Pretty much a standard shounen. A good watch with interesting powers. Nice character development as well. The manga is completed but the anime stopped half way, but 52 episodes was a nice crack at the show.

That's all this time, watching a lot of airing so that won't finish until the end of the season.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:21 AM »
Gundam SEED Destiny is driving me a bit crazy right now. I'm 11 episodes in and I still can't decide if this show totally sucks or if it's worth finishing. Every episode is like "um...okay ya...sure".

The biggest issue Destiny has as a sequel is that is sucks the character out of the old cast. Cagalli was a very strong and independent character. She was well rounded and very likable. One of those characters like Captain Bright and Emma Sheen who fought for their own principals of what was right. Now in Destiny she is utterly spineless and weak. Pushed around by everyone in Orb. Kira has spent these first 11 episodes staring off at the sky, posing dramatically in his Michael Jackson jacket. Athrun atleast feels like his arc is continuing decently.

Another big issue is the new main character Shinn. He is introduced to us via a tragic flashback. Shinn is an emo boy who mouths off, pilots his Gundam really well and keeps having the same flashback. Compare with Kamille in Zeta Gundam. In those first episodes we learn everything important about Kamille. His motivations, principals, what pisses him off and what he admires. Also his Newtype powers which hinted at the themes the show was going to have. SEED Destiny wants to pull a Zeta by being a sequel that integrates new cast with old but it fails to make the new characters likable.

The best part of SEED was the characters. You knew Kira was unstoppable but you got to see him really struggle and go through heavy emotional turmoil. This made him a character you could connect with and it made the fights all the more intense. Destiny has no character. I only like the new purple haired girl that pilots the red Zaku and I don't even know her name!

Speaking of which this show lazes out and gives the majority of the cast recoloured Zaku suits. Wow, good job. The Force Impulse Gundam is cool though and I love the shots of it in the OP. Oh man it's so awesome how it ties into the music.

I think I'll try watch something else, but it's weird because I'm not hating this show outright. It's just like man they lost the plot here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:39:41 AM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: January 01, 2021, 08:53:01 AM »
Finished watching:

-100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatte Iru
Only the first season of a larger story, a different take on an Isekai but still not incredibly original. An alright watch but nothing to write home about.
-Akudama Drive
A bit heavy on the violence side but following the girl who gets caught up with a bunch of criminals was quite interesting. Very crazy characters and setting, an interesting plot, overall quite cool. A very nice ending for a change.
-Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka III
More of the same sort of show. Nothing really amazing although a couple of really cute scenes, and couple of epic fight scenes and a bit of emotion here and there. Its a favourite anime of mine so an extra season was welcome.
-Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko
I have no idea what possessed someone to write such a boring slice of life isekai but it felt very much like something I would write as a first story, to be honest. I couldn't really engage with any of the characters, they all felt a bit flat and not really much threat when it was there. Not to say don't watch it, but it's really really "normal"
-Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
First season of a larger story. I didn't remember some of the stuff from the manga so maybe it was adjusted for the anime but an alright isekai with a cute cast. Overall it's on the interesting side of things but still playing it safe with an OP character.
-Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Raihousha Hen
Another season of the same, basically fanservice to the main character all the way through. A couple of cool fight scenes and epic moments but most of the time a weak story that could have been developed deeper. Emotions always seem a bit flat with this anime. All the same I like this anime because I like the main character being so cool, but it doesn't make for a tense plot when you know he's going to magically (literally) solve everything at the last minute (kinda like SAO :/)
-Munou na Nana
I didn't like the beginning although the ending was close to how I wanted it to go, making this an alright anime overall. I hope to have a second season to see how it ends. Maybe if there's a manga I'll pick that up.

I've been very busy with art but still managed to squeeze in enough time to binge some of the airing stuff. I'm still a bit behind but that way when I have a free slot I can spam episodes and catch up.