March 29, 2024, 06:33:13 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Which Anime series you are watching ?  (Read 339447 times)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: Which Anime series you are watching ?
« Reply #1860 on: June 10, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »
Haha ya that makes sense. I'd seen too much of the same and now I really want to watch some different kinds of shows. I started anime with a variety of series so this is like my new phase. I never thought I'd watch Trigun but the urge came to me for whatever reason. It always seemed like one of those eh whatever type shows. The animation for Trigun is still super and the general artstyle is awesome. I love the look of the show, Vash's red coat among the deserts and same colour buildings really pops.

Next up is a rewatch of Evangelion for me. It's been 6 years so I'll see if it's still a top 10 of mine. It's a show that begs to be rewatched after all.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 10, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »
Next up is a rewatch of Evangelion for me. It's been 6 years so I'll see if it's still a top 10 of mine. It's a show that begs to be rewatched after all.

I think that’s because no one on earth truly understands what that ending is...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 10, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
I'm the eternal words:

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 12, 2020, 05:52:20 AM »
PARASYTE: THE MAXIM

I thought that we did a first impressions review of Parasyte back when it was airing in 2015, but I can’t find it anywhere... [Edit: I found it]... So, 5 years late or whatever... [I will post up a proper review on the old review page when I find it]

So to those of you that read the whole of my essay on contrivance the other day, you are probably aware of my gripes with the choices for plot progression in Parasyte. I will say, however, that now that I have finished watching the series, that most of it ends up being forgivable or forgotten by the end thanks to a “just keep moving forward” kind of mentality with the story writing.

Anyways, I’m glad that I finally watched Parasyte: The Maxim (easy access now that it is on Netflix). It made me think and in several very nicely done scenes it even made me emotional. They could have gone way further down the horror route, but it seems as if they wanted to explore various themes instead, which is fine. It’s the kind of show to watch if you are in a pensive mood and want to be moved, but the first 1/3 will ease you in with some light-hearted sci-fi and action.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:59:55 AM by NO1SY »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 14, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
Finished Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, a solid good watch but nothing special.

Started Black Clover just because it's there.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 15, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »
I had the same thoughts on Nozaki-kun. After I watched it I remember I really liked it but now all I remember is Yuzuki being the best character...but I don't remember why. I gave it a 6 on MAL for being just alright.

Rewatching Evangelion is a great experience, I'm taking it real slow to enjoy the show so I'm only on episode 10, I forgot how almost normal the show is for a little while. The OP is always my favorite part, "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" is the kind of song that gets you going. Everytime I never get sick of it, I can never get sick of it. According to the Geneva Convention it's actually a war crime to skip Eva's OP. I'm watching the original ADV dub again, which I actually do quite like. It has character and Allison Keith as Misato is top tier dubbing. I'm amused at how awful Netflix handled the series, the new dub sounds terrible and lifeless and imagine not wanting to pay for the rights to use "Fly Me To The Moon" as the ED. Naturally I stayed far away from that nonsense. 

Every Sunday if I'm just at home I wear my red Rei Ayanami shirt and over the last 6 years it's built up a great tear on the armpit that's gone further and further and now it's days are done. R.i.P. to my Sunday shirt, you will be missed.

My watchlist is looking like... 
- Evangelion (Rewatch)
- Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail (I got the Blu Ray 7 years ago, never watched it again, about time to rewatch it)
- Full Metal Panic! (3rd Rewatch) 
- Welcome To The NHK
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 
- Dirty Pair
- Bunny Girl Senpai (I loved the first 3 eps but never got back to it! I must finish it)   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:19:37 AM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 17, 2020, 09:37:26 PM »
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Re-Watch)

Evangelion is a experience that you'll never forget. 6 years after first seeing it there are many scenes from the show that have stuck in my memory. Moments that made me feel emotion that only the best media can give me. While Evangelion is not a satisfying series it's quality and craziness make rewatching it just as good as seeing it the first time. For it's fantastic directing choices, cool 90's anime stuff and excellent characters. Misato, Kaji, Shinji, they are all such interesting characters that unfold as the series goes on. and when the show loses it's mind in the last few episodes it takes you on quite a journey.

There are so many different tones among the 26 episodes, for a while it almost seems normal. But then as we learn more about the Evas and Nerv everything starts to get more and more insane. You feel a great sense of menace and intrigue about what happens in the world of Evangelion. It makes less sense the more it reveals but it manages to all work somehow. Even the last episode isn't that bad, although a lot of the dialogue feels like nonsense. You feel the massive dip in production quality in the last 6 or so episodes. Especially when everything else looked so amazing. 

The Evas are so amazing in action, with their bright colours and monster appearance. I have never forgotten how I felt at the end of episode 18, it's one of the best anime scenes ever. This show is so well put together and there is a lot to pick out on a rewatch. The art is awesome and so many frames stick out. I thought it might not stand as good a second time with the shock value gone but it was still such a great watch. Evangelion is an experience of it's own and certainly one of my top 10 anime.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 18, 2020, 03:59:30 AM »
But is it better than Eva-Abridged though!? :sure:

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 18, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »
Eva is definitely a good show. I've always been a little bummed out by how it just keeps happening though? I always thought it stood great as like, a singular piece of art, but I can only take so many remakes and spin-offs before I give up. I don't need another take on the ending, just let it be what it is. This is why I respect Cowboy Beebop so much for ending and going "that's it. We're not explaining it. You get a movie that's basically episode 7.5 but we ain't giving you any more than that. (just throwing Beebop out since it's a show from the same time period that also has a somewhat nebulous and melancholy ending )

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 18, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »
I can't say I've seen Eva Abridged NO1SY, or really any of the abridged videos. 

That's certainly an issue with Evangelion. I think the ending of the show was a clever way to deal with the extreme lack of budget for the last chunk of episodes. It resolved Shinji's arc and played out like an interesting dive into the main character's heads. It sucks that Evangelion didn't get to keep up it's great production values but I think they did the best with what they had. I do think The End Of Evangelion movie is really good though, but I'll see how I feel on rewatch. I was mostly focused on that Asuka fight scene which is the most impressively animated thing I've ever seen in anime. I certainly think it should've ended after that. The Rebuild movies suck, they only exist for merchandising. It cheapens Eva overall, so I just try to forget about them. 

Cowboy Bebop is a good example since it's still just as popular a series today as Evangelion is and that's without any new spin offs or retellings. That's another one for the list...I watched 6 episodes right after I finished Eva the first time, it was good and then I started The Idolm@ster and never got back to it.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 23, 2020, 06:10:20 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Season 1)

An exciting show that was good from the beginning and only managed to get better and better the more invested you became in the characters. Gundam 00 ramps up big time in emotional impact in the last half and you end up caring a lot about most of the cast, including characters that seem lame at first. The animation is smooth, the story progresses very well and it never stops being fun to watch for the first season's 25 episodes.

I had to be won over by the show, since I didn't like the Gundam designs right away but I grew to appreciate them for what they are. Same with the cast, at first Setsuna and many of the other characters don't seem like anything special until you learn more about them and their motivations. There are so many characters in this show and it does a super impressive job balancing everyone. The first episode is confusing but after that it's all pretty smooth and easy to follow the story. I like how it played out, there weren't any moments that broke my immersion and made me question things like in Wing. The last episode was jammed packed though, this show badly needed an extra episode to pack everything in.

I liked most of the cast, Sumeragi, Lockon, Graham and Setsuna especially. Everyone made sense in the show and fit well, including the more civilian characters like Saji and Louise. Ali Al-Saachez was an awesome villian and his dynamic with Setsuna reminded me of Sousuke and Gauron from Full Metal Panic. Tieria was a character I really didn't like until later in the show, he was such a loser at first. The animation was great. It looked awesome and the fight scenes were pretty solid. The show used CGI only when it needed to and it was interrogated perfectly. Never distracting and never overly reliant on it. The character designs were fun though the Gundams looked a bit kiddy at first. They stood out unlike the awesome 80's designs from Zeta. However this is a different show, so when I accepted no Gundam show will be cooler than Zeta it was all smooth from there.

The OP and ED songs were mediocre. Voice acting (sub) was pretty good. Overall Gundam 00 was an awesome series, it had an engaging story and balanced a whole ton of characters excellently. I'm happy I didn't watch this one first though like I had thought to before. I needed that classic charm. But if old anime isn't your style and you like Code Geass then this is really a perfect one to start with.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:12:59 PM by Manimal »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 23, 2020, 09:26:05 PM »
I do believe the second season has a much better opening (or it may have been the ending). I had it on my iPod for years and years until I finally got a smartphone.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 23, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »
The two songs I know from the second season are the 2nd OP Stereopony's "Namida no Mukou" which is pretty good and Tommy Heavenly6's "Unlimited Sky" which I guess is just an insert song.

The first season didn't have awful songs I just thought they were nothing special and I really didn't like the first ED.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 24, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »
Stereopony is definitely the one I'm thinking about.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 29, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket 

A six episode OVA series from 1989 that was really good for what it was. It tells a small story very well and was an easy watch in an afternoon. There are no real good or bad guys, classic with Gundam, and it has a pretty tragic end. The only issue is the main character is a child who is indifferent to the destruction and chaos of war and is just fascinated with the soldiers and mobile suits. I found it hard to sympathize with Alfred, he's not annoying like the other kids in Gundam but he's stupid and everything bad that happens in this show is directly his fault. If you don't mind a story of an innocent kid with a big imagination who's sick of his Mom nagging him than War In The Pocket is great. But I personally didn't like that Alfred was the main focus and I thought he was a bother. That said they handled this really well and by having the story unfold from his perspective it makes it unique.

This OVA has a weird tone. It has kids being kids while people are dying and there are battles going on in the colony. There is a lot of blood in this OVA and war destruction imagery. Only at a few points does Alfred realize what's going on but he quickly ignores it and moves on. I did like most of the other characters like Christina and Bernie. These characters show they are not clear cut good or bad guys, just people fighting for the side they're on. The series is great at depicting this since you can view the Federation as bad for building Gundams on a neutral colony and Zeon as bad for...well...being the antagonists of the franchise. I honestly thought Alfred was the villain since his actions lead to all the deaths.

You really don't get a lot of cool stuff in this OVA either. It's really a story about people in the colony more so than cool robots fighting. The first scene in the show gives you a bit of a false impression, it looks a lot cooler than it's going to be. That said this OVA is awesome when it does have Sci-Fi parts. The tech and the Mobile Suits themselves look awesome. The Kampfer looks stunning, only 80's mechs could look this cool. and the Alex, while a bit too bulky for my tastes is a neat suit as well that is like a prototype Newtype Gundam with the 360 cockpit. All that stuff was fantastic I love how this OVA looked. The character designs were decent as well, Christina's red hair really made her stand out.

I watched the dub and it was actually really good. Almost everyone did a great job, it was certain a high quality work. Even Alfred was done well and was never annoying vocally. The OP song was not very good and the OP sequence was just a boring scrolling image. The super 80's soundtrack doesn't help dramatic moments. There is good 80's soundtrack and then late 80's soundtrack when things got way too cheesy.

I suppose I'm being a little too hard on this OVA, I have to say it was an enjoyable watch. It will connect with you if you like this angle since it is a really well done series with a tight contained story. The kid just pissed me off, he wasn't as bad as Katz and Hathaway but I just expected something different from this series I suppose. As a side story this OVA does well and it has some pretty cool bits.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:12:46 PM by Manimal »