April 17, 2024, 08:23:12 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Swords Like Gods  (Read 35941 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Swords Like Gods
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 03:05:10 PM »
Nope, it just seemed a better word than bandits or something. But I did think of the manga after the fact.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Updated with Chapter 9

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
I do like the way you drew Herlitz, it makes him very ethereal feeling.

And y'know, I think Mendez having his face all bandaged up is a more interesting character design, but you do you. Does make me wonder why it's covered if he's fine beneath though.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
Totally inspired by the game Furi. He's actually a character with an important role in other stories of mine, so I'm glad he was interesting.

You know it's funny that you mention that. There are some subtle things that you just can't teach and I was driving myself crazy about whether I should restore Mendez's arm so quickly or not. Seems like a simple thing, right? Nope. If lopped off arms are so easily restored then it affects the entire canon of the story. What are the rules, what are the limits? I curb stomp Naruto for Edo Tensei and Bleach for its Quincies but now I see how easy it is to just say 'meh, this is how it works' without considering the repurcussions. I have some rules in my head already of how far I can go with anything, but it's pretty funny. And I totally missed some crucial character design rule on that front, haha.

Er... As for the canonical reason why he's healed so fast see Chapter 4. In the words of his own sister 'Healthy as a god and dumb as a dog.' Even for a swordsman, he heals pretty fast.

I'm curious, did you understand what happened with the bridge scene? Art is wonky but even if it is I need the reader to know what's going on.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 08:39:49 PM »
I got it. The panels leading up to it helped out. Felt like a nice slow moment. Which I think are the more well done moments in your style, if we're being brutally honest. You know that I know that you love your big action scenes, but I think you'd be better served by simplifying them some and slowing the pace.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 05:32:36 AM »
Updated with chapter 10

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »
Nice action this chapter. Although the panel where he catches the foot is a little confusing. You gotta be real badass to rip off your own arm though.

Honestly, I feel a little overwhelmed with how many names and characters there are at this point, especially because they aren't all super recognizable at a glance. This shows especially at the end with the panel of a bunch of characters right next to each other. Going across I really don't know who is who? Not enough contrast in design at your detail level I guess. This is more of a general critique though. I'm not suggesting making huge changes now.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »
And a fool, but yeaup the hand went bye bye.

Yeah contrast is a big problem. Going to try more grayscale next time, but yeah I just need to get the chapters done at this point methinks. The two black bikers are new characters. Wings Girl is named Evanascence, Black Hair Mendez, Eyepatch Jhax, Short goggles dude is called Toad.

Geh. I'll make a character roster some time some when.

Updated with Chapter 11.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
Neat. I like the composition of that first page a lot. Very Kubo-esk to steal a whole page just for a couple of figures. Sad the level headed one got slashed though. He seemed more interesting than Ms. MurderRampage over there.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 11:14:27 PM »
I would just like to add that your linework, even with general hatching and such, has become much cleaner and more confident lately. I'm not sure if I had pointed it out before in your general art thread, but this last chapter really shows it. Nothing looked "sketched" or overly messy. It's a good look on you.

Also, hard agree. Protecting the innocent isn't heroic; it's common sense.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
Having a strong forehead helps too.

Domo arigatou, but I actually loathe straight linework hahaha. But it's unfortunately more efficient in making pages. I just feel so much more freedom being able to sketch around, and I like the look. This image in particular is a recent inspiration https://legomaestro.deviantart.com/art/MSPaint-is-fun-200869058

Just love that look. Gaaah no variation in like work but still manages to show some contrast.

@ Coryn yeh I've been checking out the only volume of Bleach I have in my shelf for some help. Just figured out now that action scenes have slanted panels and the like so I'm glad it worked out. It's frustrating as hell not to have that epic look that Kubo does though.

Yeah, It's a true pity about the scientist dude. He has a back story of sorts and everything too. This confrontation was supposed to last longer than this, but Mendez flipped out more than I thought he would and hasn't been in a fighting mood.

Did I mention I hate backgrounds?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
Updated with chapter 12.

Flow is a serious problem for me. I guess I need to make more pages or something. Meh. For now, just gotta focus on that 30 chapter mark. I'll make a full breakdown of notes to tear holes into everything. Just glad I got this done. Now come along next week. Come along next procrastination session, come along chapter 13, I hope. Where is the idea genie when you need one?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
I'm suspecting a certain someone might not actually be fully dead.

Neat place to hang around and talk about forging swords. Any particular inspiration? you

Offline Adoss

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »
Pretty solid storytelling, not hating on the art but would you ever consider getting someone to redraw it for you? Like a Once Punch Man sorta thing
[img]http://*Link Removed*]

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
Haha that's actually the hope eventually. I jst want to know that i'm reliable enough to churn chapters whenever I need to so that they become second nature to me.  Thanks Adoss

@Coryn I was inspired by a thumbnail on pinterest and some random frame Moebius did for some random comic. It's pretty cool how he makes super cities with really round shapes and the like and manages to portray scale on flat landscapes. Dude's a beast.

The room itself just came into mind. I screwed up what I had in mind but it's a sunken dias sort of place with uneven ring platforms.

Also people die when they are killed in my story haha. But I definitely need to improve pacing and mood to make stuff like that convincing.