March 29, 2024, 04:26:45 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Protect Your Wrists! (Advice Thread for Artists, Writers, Gamers, and Others.)  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Some of you guys may have seen me mention how my wrists have been swelling and becoming painful if I use my hands for extended periods of time (which then lasts for days). This topic is about my findings on risk prevention and non-surgical treatments for RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury/Carpel Tunnel Syndrome).

I am not a health care expert. Follow my advice at your own risk.

First off though for me this has been going on for a little less than a year. It started around midterms for me when I was trying to rush and finish my drawing assignments for two classes before the deadline. After that classes continued and I continued to push my wrist despite the pain. Since then if I draw, type, play videogames, or do anything else that requires repetitive movements of my fingers and wrists the pain comes back after a few hours.

First thing I tried was a wrist brace since my mom uses them for her wrists. Bad idea. Last week I slept with it on for two nights and it resulted in my wrist becoming much sorer and quite stiff when I woke up. I'm not sure if it has to do with the brand I used or not. I stopped using it 4 days ago and the pain finally went away.

The second thing I am currently trying are wrist stretches and strengthening exercises (these can be done to prevent problems as well). So far they cause a little pain, but that appears to be normal as long as it's not overdone. I've read that symptom relief can take anywhere from a couple days to several months depending on the severity of the injuries. I'm also going to be using one of those squishy stress balls to build strength when I find where I put mine. The stretches should be done before activities, every 30-60 minutes during the activity, and after you finish.

Here's a video I found showing how to do the stretches I've found on several medical sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ

Also something I will be doing is to make my work area more ergonomic friendly. This may entail purchasing a new desk, chair, and keyboard, you can't buy a new wrist so this will be better long term. Look up the "Ergonomics Guy" on YouTube for more information.

Another thing is to go easy on yourself and not over do your workload. Also get your recommended amount of sleep. Sleep is when your body heals.

And another note... I read that the pain can be worsened by stressing over your wrist heath since your brain will restrict the circulation to your hand; causing pain even after it's healed.

I hope this topic helps you guys and if anyone has something to add please do.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:24:07 AM by Robin Ryuu »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
I really do need to do more research into this stuff. I've got a long life of computer work ahead of me (both professionally and personally), so it definitely won't hurt to take precautions.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Happytimedoggy

• View Profile
Yeah, I can feel your pain.

I'm 42 and worked for years as a mechanic after graduating high school and then worked construction for nearly 20 years and started drawing less than a year ago.

I find just resting your hands for a little while when the pain starts or using ice  or taking an Aleve can help a lot. I know that's kind of hard to do in a field that requires hours and hours of drawing a day but don't push yourself and try to "Work through the pain" you'll just make things worse.  I know that from experience.

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
ive been getting a lot of hand pain lately! One of my parents has arthritis, so i'm doomed :(

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
i dont think arthritis is hereditary

Click the Banner to Read

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
I'm fairly certain just about anything to deal with the body can be hereditary...from certain strands of cancer to diabetes and even to alcoholism. It's usually more of a genetic disposition, not a certain guarantee that it will happen.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
i dont think arthritis is hereditary

I dunno, the vet said my dog also has it in his paw so it's running wild in my family :thinking:

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
Easy solution: LEARN TO DRAW WITH THE OTHER HAND.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Easy solution: LEARN TO DRAW WITH THE OTHER HAND.
The pain affects daily tasks too not just drawing so that won't do much except give you pain in both hands.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Yeeeaaah, you really didn't think that one through very much, Walter. :-\
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
The pain affects daily tasks too not just drawing so that won't do much except give you pain in both hands.

But I bet you use one hand mostly for the drawing, no?. The trick is to learn to draw with the other hand so you can exchange them.

Do you feel the exact same amount of pain in both hands? I bet one hurts more, doesn't it?

Also more advice: Drink a lot of water, and do more weight training if posible. I know girls have a harder time gaining muscle mass than guys but some muscle goes a long way toward making you feel less tired. It gives you more stamina in general. As a skinny guy, I know how much physical work can tire you during the day. You just have to try to build more muscle.

Facebook       Patreon