March 29, 2024, 12:50:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Blocked/Un-Hosted Images and a Possible Solution  (Read 13362 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Blocked/Un-Hosted Images and a Possible Solution
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
There seems to be a problem from time to time where sometimes old uploaded pictures disappear from sites, as seen early in my gallery as just one of many examples, but now I keep getting a message from Photobucket users saying that they must upgrade their account, and it looks like it may have something to do with a 3rd party hosting limit.

This just keeps happening, it seems. I'm concerned that Photobucket will do the same to me although I've barely grazed my data allowance for the site, and it would probably be quite frustrating to have another huge image drop of the scale this one is likely to be.

In the interest of not having raiders pay for third party image hosting, which is the way it looks with all the URL changes and rule changes and limits placed on sites that allow them " "for free" "...why not just allow images as a form of attachment that can be uploaded directly to the forum? I feel like it would save time, also, since Photobucket likes to lag on my computer, as to most third party image hosting sites.

Of course, there's also Google Drive, but sometimes the viewing permissions on those are outright weird, and the URLs on those links like to change or stop functioning after a certain time frame.

I understand that this likely would put a lot of pressure on the storage of MR, especially with so many artists and users posting images, so it's fine if it's not feasible, but...man, these third party image hosting sites are just ridiculous to try to work around, you know?
Haha signature go brr.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Blocked/Un-Hosted Images and a Possible Solution
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
In my opinion, I personally prefer the embedded images as opposed to the built in system. Uploaded images appear as thumbnail attachments to the post itself, which removes our ability to choose where we want the image to go. In addition, we will have to click on the icon itself in order for the link to enlargen. While these are not big issues, they do add up and pester us down the line.

I use Imgur as my photo sharing site, and so far, it has never let me down before. Sometimes the problem is not the forum itself, but the image hosts (in your case, Photobucket). As long as the source of the image still exists, the image is supposedly able to display as intended.

Of course, there is only one downside (that I can think of) of having the feature implemented--that is, uploading eventually requires storage, which (if the required space adds up) could force the site to upgrade to a larger plan. That being said, if the resources are available, there shouldn't be a problem putting the feature to use.
~~~
S8N

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
As long as the source of the image still exists, the image is supposedly able to display as intended.

Except that no longer seems to be happening. From my view, Vacant's and Shane's signatures have been wiped out, as have the thumbnails for the Manga Raiders Happy Hours, as well as many images in Lego's gallery. As I said, something like this has happened before with another third-party image hosting site. There's absolutely no guarantee that Imgur won't do the same eventually due to commercialization.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »
I'm not sure about in the long run, persay, but I know that Photobucket is among the most outdated image sharing hosts out there (sorry PB lovers). Honestly, image hosting sites are dropping the axe on their own necks if they require an account upgrade in order for their users to keep their share codes working, and I'd expect that Imgur is intelligent enough not to do that (?)

But who knows, Photobucket seemed to have done it. We would expect their website to die soon. Again, I'm not disapproving your proposal (for it definitely resolves the problem), but I can understand why the site owners might not want to include it.
~~~
S8N

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 06:43:11 PM »
I understand that as well, but it does seem to be a general pattern with most websites. They come and go. I'm certain that Imgur will eventually fall into the same pattern. After all, those of us who have been using Photobucket have been doing so for years without issue, which means that you might be able to trust Imgur for years, but that means relatively nothing. That's the entire problem with third-party hosting--it's not consistent. It honestly sucks that this keeps happening, but it will probably only continue due to the increased commercialization of the internet. The problem is that with this block, the amount of stuff that MR might lose is unsettling.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
How much are the image hosting sites charging?

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
With Photobucket, I believe for a full account they charge over $2 a month.

Doesn't seem like a lot, but in situations like mine, you can't guarantee that there will be $2 in your bank every month, because thanks tuition and overpriced education institutions.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
With Photobucket, I believe for a full account they charge over $2 a month.

Doesn't seem like a lot, but in situations like mine, you can't guarantee that there will be $2 in your bank every month, because thanks tuition and overpriced education institutions.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
Amazing, it's almost like some people are poor. What a concept. Mind-boggling, isn't it?
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »
@mahluandmilk i was suprised with the cost. Sorry, didn't mean to offend or attack your lifestyle.

I"m unemployed. so i know what it means to stretch a dollar.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
Point is that third party solutions seem to be inconsistent and ineffective and not applicable for everyone. I understand that storage for all the images uploaded may cause issues, especially considering that some people don't size down their images before uploading them and thus their file sizes are outrageous. Nevertheless, this problem does exist and it likely will crop up again. I figure just having a space to discuss it and other possible solutions might be helpful.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »
The point is, there's no reason in the first place for 3rd party image hosters to even be charging. Why? Because others don't, and it's honestly not that hard to do it yourself for free.

Image hosters should already be lucky that they generate as much as they do through ad revenue, and I'll be interested to see how long PB can survive with the sh*t they just pulled off.

For people who are yet unable to pay for themselves, or those (people like me) who find it petty to charge for services like this; the core of the issue is that Photobucket did this for the money grab, and in turn slapped all their consumers who've been supporting them for all these years in the face.
~~~
S8N

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 08:38:43 PM »
For photobucket. To access 3rd party image hosting, they're wanting $400.....Just let that sink in. From free to $400 per year. I wish I was a fly on the wall for that meeting, if for nothing else other than to see how strong the crack was they were smoking.

I'm going to look for an alternative and dump any useful ones I find. I don't mind paying a small price for a service. But since I only use Photobucket to post images onto this forum, I think I'd rather masturbate with sandpaper than drop that amount of money for that.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »
Woooah, that's much more outrageous. Welp, looks like I'll start shifting over to another hosting site, and it looks like it might be IMGUR. Ugh, I hate transferring data. Hopefully, at least, we can just pick up from here and transition.

I'll be sad, though. One of my favorite pasttimes used to be looking at other raider's older artworks and seeing how much they've improved over time. It's a nice inspirational kinda thing to see, but it would take so long to restore everything and edit all the posts to contain the images in the correct order and bluh.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
I was still using Majhost when I first joined the forum, that went down soon after. I'd used it forever so I know the feel, I was like noooo. Imgur is really the best and easiest to use site. Fast upload, literally no bs, and easy edits. I hope it stays good.

But my stuff often is deleted by myself over time anyway from embarrassment, hence my barren old gallery threads. In retrospect, I should've always stuck to one and kept everything on here, but too late now.