March 29, 2024, 01:14:48 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: 2018 In Music  (Read 21444 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: 2018 In Music
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Here's a roundup of what I've listened to so far. I felt like alphabetizing them rather than ordering them because it's less effort, but I made sure to bold and asterisk the highlights.

Maurizio Abate - Standing Waters (8/10)*
Tetuzi Akiyama & Noël Akchoté - Tetuzi & I (A Tokyo Evening) (9/10)*
Anna & Elizabeth - The Invisible Comes to Us (6.5/10)
Death Drag - Shifted (7.5/10)
Elza - Deus é mulher (8/10)*
Father John Misty - God's Favorite Customer (7.5/10)
Filho da Mãe - Água-Má (7/10)
Jonny Greenwood - Phantom Thread (8.5/10)*
Jonny Greenwood - You Were Never Really Here (8.5/10)
Keiji Haino + SUMAC - American Dollar Bill - Keep Looking Sideways, You're Too Hideous to Look at Face On (8.5/10)*
Tim Hecker - Konoyo (8/10) *
Hontatedori - Konata Kanata (7.5/10)
Iceage - Beyondless (7.5)
Iglooghost - Clear Tamei (8.5/10)*
Iglooghost - Steel Mogu (6.5/10)
Induction - Concomitance (6/10)
Kero Kero Bonito - Time 'n' Place (7.5/10)
Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts (8/10)*
MGMT - Little Dark Age (7/10)
Toshimaru Nakamura - Re-Verbed (No-Input Mixing Board 9) (9/10)*
Haru Nemuri - Haru to Shura (7.5/10)
New Optimism - Amazon to LeFrak (7.5/10)
Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch (7.5/10)
Palm - Rock Island (9.5/10)*
Panda Nurse - Panda Hearse (6.5/10)
Pusha T - DAYTONA (7.5/10)
Ricarda Cometa - Ricarda Cometa 2 (7/10)
Snail Mail - Lush (6/10)
SOPHIE - OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES (8.5/10)*
Stern - Missive: Sister Ships (6.5/10)
SUMAC - Love in Shadow (7.5/10)
Mid-Air Thief - Crumbling (7.5/10)
Szun Waves - New Hymn to Freedom (8/10)*
John Tilbury + Keith Rowe + Kjell Bjørgeengen - Sissel (8.5/10)*
Tropical *censored* Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace (8.5/10)
Twenty One Pilots - Trench (6.5)
Yves Tumor - Safe in the Hands of Love (7/10)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:07:26 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
A mighty list. Unlike mine. In order of goodness.
Kanttila : Post America (9.9/10)
BAND-MAID : World Domination (9.5/10)   
Seiko Oomori : Kusokawa Party (8/10) 
......... , [         ] (8/10)
Palm : Rock Island (8/10)   
Kero Kero Bonito : Time 'n' Place (Unsure as of now, 8 to 7.5) 
Scandal : Honey (7.5/10) 

Wednesday Campanella : Galapagos (7/10)     
Ghost : Prequelle (6/10)
Perfume : Future Pop (6/10)
fhana : World Atlas (6/10) 
Utada Hikaru : Hatsukoi (6/10)
Mondo Grosso : Attune / Detune (5/10) 
GARNiDELiA : G.R.N.D. (5/10)
Kimbra : Primal Heart (3/10)
Camila (2/10) 
Courtney Barnett : Tell Me How You Really Feel (1/10) 
Eminem : Kamikaze (0.5/10)

Not a lot of killers this year for myself, but also not a ton I've listened to compared to last year. Not much I wanted to listen to. Short of DAOKO's next and maybe if BiSH drops a new album I don't see anything else exciting coming out. 

World Domination is 1000% my album of 2018. Fricking wow did the band deliver and I just can't get enough of the songs. Just another awesome song after the another and the two in one of "Daydreaming" and "Anemone" is the factor that makes the album a complete self classic. "One And Only" is a big time highlight as well and Miku's song "Rock In Me" is great. Not to mention "Spirit!!", "Turn Me On", "DICE" man every song is good, not a single bad one. BAND-MAID is only a band that could happen within J-Rock as well, the West world would never spawn something like this. They are just perfect and the exact thing I need. BAND-MAID is better than every single band/artist I got into post Sonic Youth aside from Seiko and The Smiths.

I'm so happy TO FINALLY have found a good straight on rock band that is newer. Straight on rock is desolation in the West world, it's horrific bands like Greta, The Struts and them. BAND-MAID have finally brought my favorite music of all to me as a new band that I can follow. I can't stress how great it is to finally come across a super good band that does my favorite music ever but in a FRESH AND NEW form and feeling. A band that feels brand new to me, a band that is just so fricking good. I mean you just hear "Secret My Lips" and you know this band is special, they are not just some boring rock band. This kind of music is my heart and lifeblood and BAND-MAID have become great with World Domination this year. At last my favorite album of the year can be from my core style of music.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:12:46 AM by Spooky Manimal »

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 10:03:08 PM »
I have heard a bit of BAND-MAID. Not bad, but not so much what I'm interested in atm. Something to come back to when I'm in the mood for riffy alt-metal.

I think you might get something out of that Haru Nemuri record. She's got an interesting style that's not unlike Seiko's, but it's noisier and punkier with more rapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dbMAegGJU

And you might possibly like Tropical *censored* Storm as well. Also noisy and punky with some pseudo rapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TueUWPhnRJQ

But, of course, I recommend all of the bolded stuff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:06:00 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »
Now I'm mostly in the mood for that kind of stuff! Because it's the season of course and ya, it's like I said I'm just so happy for a band to finally do my kind of music as well as BAND-MAID do. I find 2018 to be less ambitious for me, I'm not so much looking for brand new music worlds now that I'm pretty settled in what I like from how busy 2016 & 2017 where for new to me stuff.

I figure I outta listen to some of those albums, Tropical F*ck Storm seem a lil too wack lol, see how it is. But you know the traditional 12 days ep is coming up, so soon enough like middle of next month we should make those playlists, because you know how long it takes me to get to that. I suppose it was last year you talked about the album with guy playing his dead wife's instruments? My friend showed me some songs of that recently and it was like, wtf stop playing this it's too brutally real.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:33:31 PM by Spooky Manimal »

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 10:08:53 PM »
Manimal alert: new Carly Rae Jepsen single.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »
I happened to see that when I was making a playlist earlier. I was like, did I really miss this? Than I realized it only came out today. You know it's a fun tune, it seems like it's building on the Emotion sound a bit. The chorus has some cool sounds, I would call those night drive in the big city keyboards. I like that part a lot. I think it's a fun single, the video is um, it has it's very unneeded moments for sure. Let's see what albums songs we get this time. If this is the vibe than lay it on me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:18:30 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »
Haru Nemuri, Haru To Shura 

So this is one of those shocking eye popping albums after all. Sure enough as listened to this album last night I was left wide eyed and staring at nothing as this album hit me track after track. Haru has the violence of Seiko and Mariko Goto (well no one is as wild as her but you know) with the amazing to listen to flow of early DAOKO, yet the style is so much her own. Her rap singing is passionate, and real. Her delivery is wild on so many songs and it feels so real. The instrumentals can be so alarming at times, the Sonic guitars and wack plot twists. There where so many parts I was left going "no way", because of how fricking perfect it sounded. Haru's vocals are just amazing and it all works together in such a violently expressive sheer rock n' roll spirited album.

Now the remixes at the end felt pointless and skippable, sometimes the drum sound was a lil weak but I have very few complaints. Haru's expression is so visceral and I just loved listening to her yell it out. It really took many things I love and put them together. Now a few more listens will tell me how great it is, but this was really quite a stunning listen. It was already better than everything besides World Domination for me lol. This is the kind of album that makes me question what I'm doing in my music. Gave me a real kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zrVL1llh4

Oyasumi Hologram, 4 

Finally I got to this album, Oyasumi Hologram are a great duo that have a lot going for them. They are rooted in that Alt J-Pop scene, kind of like an edger Puffy. The music is great and the album really gets good in it's last half. The two sound great and the songs have solid instrumentals with some really cool bits and guitar tones. Man that guitar sound always drives me mad in J songs, I don't know how they do it. The last song "Angel" is really good! This is a very enjoyable album, the duo have been cranking song after song this year! It's fun Poppy rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlOF9lKD3xg 

Wytch Hazel, II: Sojourn 

If you played this album to someone they wouldn't be able to guess it was a 2018 record. II: Sojourn is a full blown early 80's NWOBHM album through and through. Like 70's Priest, Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden's first two albums with more laid back vocals. Instead of ripping off older bands, they sort of feel like another group of the era, even down to the production. This is actually a solid album, the guitars are really great with some fantastic melodic dual guitar solos. The singing is decent, it's not too aggressive and in your face. As the album goes on you get the point, it puts the good songs up first. You don't get anything new with Wytch Hazel, but the album was a decent listen.

https://wytchhazel.bandcamp.com/track/still-we-fight

BAND-MAID's latest single "glory" is quite good also. Love the chorus beat and, well it's just another awesome high energy and ridiculously well put together BAND-MAID song. I can't say it enough how much I love this band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAMiLTiXPpU

DAOKO's newest single is pretty awesome as well. If we get an album of songs like this it may well be better than Thank You Blue, at least it should feel more like an album and less like a compilation since it was all done in a shorter period of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwc7KT-I3U
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:58:16 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »
Litku Klemetti, Taika Tapahtuu   

Suomi...um, Prog Pop? Early style Post Punk? Let's just call it Indie but actual good Indie. This is a catchy and fun set of melodic tunes with a classic Halloween store keyboard, nice clean guitar, energetic drums and a quirky singer. It's really pretty good, a lot of charm. Litku is a great vocalist and the music is excellent, there are so many plain fun songs. The organ and guitar are a great combo and the drums really keep things up. This is the kind of Indie I like and this is the kind of Finnish music I've been looking for. Very fun album and another one to add to my favorites of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0Yj6mNr7Q     

Judas Priest, Firepower     

Old guys try to recapture their past glory and it's...not bad. Rob Halford is in great form and sounds like he hasn't aged much since the 80's, but the songs are of so-so quality. "No Surrender" is an awesome classic Priest song, but otherwise the riffs are kind of dull. Without K. K. Downing Priest is running at 75% power and Scott Travis has never been a favorite drummer of mine. He is good but kind of dull, to be honest Priest has always been this way but the drums used to be simple and keep groove. Firepower is an album to please older fans, for me in a world where we have BAND-MAID this album is certainly not so exciting. But it wasn't a bad listen. I liked the Remembrance Day song "Sea Of Red".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMU804-bjQA

I tried to listen to Tropical F**k Storm's album but I didn't like it at all. Honestly it's kind of everything I dislike about Indie music. Politics, and the tones where waaaay off for myself. Now that I've listened to Haru To Shura 3 times I can say this album needed like...another song or two. Cut out the remixes and beef it up a little bit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:08:20 AM by Manimal »

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 05:06:35 PM »
TFS is not really a band I'd consider a poster child for indie rock. They're a good bit weirder and darker than most of that stuff coming out these days.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »
True enough, but to me it's like there is that kind of spirit in Indie Rock that I just don't like at all. It's hard to define because it's not the noisy guitars or anything, it's more the singing, lyrics and delivery of it all that make me go "no". Which is why I've turned away almost completely from "English World" Indie music.

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »
Seiko Oomori and Aina The End performing Tokyo Black Hole...one of the best videos I've seen in a bit. It's so out of tune and wack. Than at the end they just yell at each other and hug, it's great I love it. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4wms61Hc1I         

Aina sings all smooth, love her voice, than Seiko just belts it out. Every live video of Seiko I've seen from this year has been wild. This is cool, Seiko and Aina are the perfect duo. BiSH's latest single "stereo future" is alright. I haven't been too excited on their singles this year, NON TIE UP had a really great and neat music video but the song I haven't even listened to since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYoE4pvM1E

DAOKO did a song with Nakata Yasutaka and it's standard fare Nakata, which is well played out at this point. Kyary or Perfume could've done the track and it'd be no different. The melody sounds like "Tom's Diner". Thank You Blue had these kind of songs, and I like them but after listening to DAOKO's earlier work it really shows how all her strengths are being washed out for this more typical sound. I have come to really like "Owaranai Sekai de" however, it's excellent. I really like the video also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXTO3m1B_h4     
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:08:46 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »
DAOKO, Sh!teki Ryokou   

On her third major label album DAOKO gives 10 cuts of enjoyable electro songs that incorporate some interesting sounds and ideas, most of the time. There is some good old DAOKO rapping on her along with the more contemporary J-Pop tracks. It's the songs like "Oide Oide" that make the album worth while. "Chouchou ni Natte" is great with a heavy classic Japanese music sound. The lead off song "Owaranai Sekai de" is fantastic! The album is a lot tighter than Thank You Blue, but for some reason it features "Uchiage Hanabi" again, but only with DAOKO's vocals. The song is great and while it works well on this album, it feels like a waste of a spot to feature the exact same song as the previous record, just without the great vocal feature. The album has some pretty good moments, "NICE TRIP" is neat, it gets loud then quiets down to a classic whisper rap and slowly builds again. The album is heavy on it's production and style. I like it, a lot of excellent tracks with a few meh moments like "Sunny Boy Rainy Girl" and "Bokura no Network". Not a bad album, but it feels a lot more "style" than anything at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwc7KT-I3U

PEDRO, zoozoosea 

BiSH's Ayuni D picks up bass and comes out with an aggressive 7 song rock mini album. Ayuni D spent a little over half a year learning to play bass for this project, so it's cool that she actually plays on it. The album is pretty cool, it's not unlike BiSH in it's aggressive approach, in fact a few tracks outright use near exact BiSH melodies. They aren't the best songs here, but as a whole this mini album is on fire. Focused on one singer there is a more direct energy, Ayuni D is not a great singer but that kind of works in her favour for this music. There is so much attitude and aggression on this project. I hope PEDRO continues and Ayuni D develops her abilities, because this is better than BiSH's output this year and certainly the most exciting solo project from the group yet. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_3o7p78OOY
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:17:06 AM by Manimal Claus »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »
Ending the thread with my top 10 albums, which me and Pipe already did in this fine ep right here. My list is vaguely updated. 

Spoiler
1. BAND-MAID : World Domination

I've said my fair share about this band, the greatest straight on Rock band is such a long time. BAND-MAID is a true miracle and this is a smash hit of an album that finally kicks them off and shows everything great about them. I'll say it again, BAND-MAID make the grade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAYnVJX9CY

2. Seiko Oomori : Kusokawa Party 

Another album in Seiko's yearly cycle, urgent, aggressive, and high energy. While it's scaled back from her previous 3 releases, Kusokawa Party is a powerful statement and more tune based than before, with each song feeling like it's own thing. Seiko continues to deliver ripping tracks like Shinigami, GIRL'S GIRL, Last Dance etc. Packing remarkable passion and energy in her delivery. But time will remember this as a weak album in her discography, provided her how her next ones are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7ZGV5z3i4

3. Haru Nemuri : Haru To Shura 

A great combination of J-Pop, Noisy Rock, Rap, Shoegaze etc. Haru makes a strong artist statement, the album is aggressive and full of fantastic songs. It's well put together and paced, Haru comes out as an exciting new artist with this album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dbMAegGJU

4. Palm : Rock Island 

I don't know how to define this album, one of the only times I've heard something recently and been truly confused and in awe of a new sound. Western Indie music is (for me) mostly the same old garbage over and over. But Rock Island is a truly stunning and gripping new sound like literally nothing I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnKnwamoKo

5. Scandal : Honey     
[img height=150https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Scandal_Honey.jpg/220px-Scandal_Honey.jpg[/img]http://Over a decade into their career Scandal make their best album yet. Energetic garage rock feel with a sweet style. The band feels more raw then before and delivers both awesome rock songs and sweet breezy warm tracks. It's a to the point album of great tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrv7x34yGBU

6. PEDRO : zoozoosea 

Aggressive Rock mini album from BiSH's Ayuni D. A really cool set of tunes with a lot of raw attitude. Ayuni D isn't a great singer and that works perfectly for the music she has a great sneer that is fully realized on her own. There are some really great songs on here. zoozoosea is a lot more exciting than BiSH's, not bad, but lesser 2018. I hope for more from PEDRO. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_3o7p78OOY 

7. Kero Kero Bonito : Time 'n' Place 

The group move into a more "vapour" sound with a lot of Indie Rock elements. It's a varied album where the group try a lot of new things and expand their sound greatly from the previous release. There are some fantastic tracks like Time Today and Swimming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WqcPYOr--g

8. Litku Klemetti : Taika Tapahtuu

Weirdo Finnish Indie Rock album with some elements of 70's Post Punk. A very melodic album with great vocals and a fun Halloween keyboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggVQ2cRtfvk

9. ......... , [ ] 

Kind of cheating because this album has old songs on it, but it's finally an album from Dots, the shoegaze idols. I kind of love this album, it has powerful Shoegaze melancholy over idol singing, a great combo that makes for a very strong album of amazing tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7M5dfe4oMs

10. PassCode : Locus 

Also cheating because it's an Indies re-record album but man PassCode is awesome. A really unique and powerful group with a crazy blend of styles that's overwhelming and always changing even in the same song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0fDo07b-k

For 2019 I hope for another BAND-MAID album, they are releasing some new tracks in January. I think they might take a break after how World Domination was, but they haven't had an off year yet. I don't know what Seiko will do with ZOC and everything, she hasn't even released a single after Kusokawa Party so maybe we won't get another album from her? Likely a new BiSH album, which I assumed would of happened this year. One can assume 2019 will be the year for the next Carly Rae album.

I want to listen to more next year, since I've been lazy this year. There was atleast World Domination, the super star album of the year. Sometimes I feel Kusokawa Party isn't that good but it seems I like it a lot everytime I listen to it. I hope Seiko doesn't continue with songs like "Tokyo To Kyou" on her albums. I should look more into these music scenes I like so much. There is way more to the Alt Idol world than BiSH, Seiko and Passcode. I fixate on certain artists too much, but that's how I've always been. I like when I can connect with an artist/group like that.