March 29, 2024, 03:54:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Artist review!  (Read 2203 times)

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Artist review!
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:25:34 PM »
Hi everyone, i was asked to make a review for the Surface Pro 2 as an artist device, so i thought i'd dive right in.

First off, we'll start with screen quality. The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (SP2) has a fantastic screen, boasting a resolution of 1920x 1080, with 208 pixels per inch, using Microsofts Clear Type IPS display technology.Clear type essentially makes text easier to read on small displays, and IPS allows for excellent colour accuracy and stops any warping of colours as a result of viewing angle. I personally found the colour accuracy to be excellent, with the colours appearing vibrant and accurate. The biggest issue i've had so far comes from the use of a glossy display, which creates some issues using it outside, meaning you have to use the tablet at maximum brightness. This can be offsett by using a Matte screen protector, however i personally don't.
This tablet however is thick, which means it's not something you can hold in your arms and sketch as it's bulk and weight (2.01 lb) make it too awkward to hold and too heavy. On a table or in your lap is fine, due to the built in kickstand which is incredibly sturdy. The tablet will not move as your leaning your hand on it, which is excellent.

Performance - The SP2 comes with a intel core i5 4300u, a custom mobile cpu clocked at 2.7GHz. 4GB DDR3 RAM and an SSD (mine's 128gb). Personally, i've noticed no real issues using this tablet with Adobe Photoshop CC 2015, working at 4000x4000 pixels @ 300dpi. The brush strokes are responsive with the pen pressure responding similarly to a Wacom Bamboo. The only times i've run into problems (lag) where when i used large brushes (1200+ pixel brushes). However, this may be a Photoshop issue, as i also experience issues with large brushes on my desktop (4670K, 8gb ram, ssd). Photoshop runs well however i do wish that their touch input was better, as i'd love to be able simply pan using my finger to scroll through my canvas when zoomed in. You can do this whilst holding space, but yeah. In my limited experience with Clip Studio Pain (Manga Studio), i've expereinced similar issues with really large brushes, but no issues with touch. Touch input is a joy using this software. However, i have not used MangaStudio extensively with this software yet.

Example of work created with this tablet in Adobe Photoshop:
Spoiler

The biggest issue - This tablets suffers from pen occlussion around the edges of the display, meaning where you place the cursor does not match where you place the pen. This can be corrected slightly via callibration, however it's still there. It means navigating menus can be kinda annoying, however it's not an issue for me. The pen in the center is accurate in my opinion. This is an issue that occurs on many Wacom Active display devices, so yeah. It's there, it's unfortunate but it's not game breaking.

In comparison to my Wacom Intuos Pro Medium, i actually prefer the SP2. The fact that i can draw on the screen helps significantly, as it allows you to be more accurate, as you can more easily place details where you want them. Your mileage may vary.

Do I recommend this tablet? If you can pick it up cheap, absolutely. However, I am unable to tell you if the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or 4 is better as they use a new pen technology called N-Trig. SP3 Ntrig only offers 256 levels of pressure, whereas SP4 N-Trig offers 1024. From what i've read, when drawing slowly N-Trig has some wobble issues, so yeah. It's best to try it out yourself.

WARNING: The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is no longer officially supported by Microsoft, meaning you can only buy third party refurbished. they also don't make the pens or covers anymore for the SP2, so again you're looking at other websites. You can still buy the pens new online, and the Wacom Carbon Feel also works the same apparently, so stylus replacements arent an issue. I don't know if Microsoft will still repair this tablet, so be wary.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:30:55 PM by The SlamJam »

Offline Miska

• View Profile
Re: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Artist review!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the review!  :D SP2 sounds good, so i'm glad for you for getting it cheap!
How bad is the pen occlusion? Can you still draw close to the edges?

I'm still saving money for tablet pc, and haven't decided yet which one i should buy. Wacom cintiq companion 2 would be nice, but it's way too expensive at the moment. Used SP2 seems to go for 400 euros on my country. I should have enough money at the end of the year, so i'll make my final decision then.