April 18, 2024, 11:47:20 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Manga Drawing Workshops General Discussion Thread  (Read 46055 times)

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Manga Drawing Workshops General Discussion Thread
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:23:30 AM »
Here you can talk about everything related to Manga Drawing Workshops except workshop requests. You can talk about common drawing errors, how to get them fixed etc.

Offline Cache

• View Profile
Re: Manga Drawing Workshops General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
Neat! I Think the most common mistake That I have personally noticed in the workshops even in my work is that As people draw the characters they try to follow the character line for line instead of taking the basic approach to building a character like they would if they were drawing one from scratch.

We can't forget that these characters are built the same way a simply body drawn with the right shapes and the detail placed over it.
The website!!! Go and Enjoy! www.adventuresofyaz.com

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
A good point Cache. Also something I have noticed is most of us starters here in drawing workshops have problems with body proportion.

I remember long ago when i was doing all drawings stuff I used to have my own method to sort out this. Before starting I used to measured up body with ratio. like head+neck = 1 units, body = 3 units etc depending on what I was drawing. How do you do it ?

Offline Cache

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
I usually do proportions through body part placement. How the body is proportioned is relvant to the style that you're using but no matter what things have to be in their proper positions in order to look right. SO when I start drawing I always keep in mind where things go.

The Elbows land at the naval and the finger tips land just above the knee. etc.
The website!!! Go and Enjoy! www.adventuresofyaz.com

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
The way I do body proportions and placement is a little odd. When I start a drawing, this is the order I usually draw in unless a complicated pose is involved:
1) Draw the center line for the face to give direction to the rest of the body and an idea of how large the body will be.
2) Create a facial line usually with the ears.
3) Draw neck and create shoulder width based on facial width and include part of the arms.
       - Children's shoulder width is closer to being equal ot the facial width.
       - Depending on character features, females usually have 2 head widths and males have 2.5 head widths.
4) Draw arcs indicating abdomen.
       - I use very long arcs mainly because I love CLAMP's style but in the Simple Girl 03 sketch, I also love a style employed by the artist Tony Taka. (Warning: He is also a hentai artist)
5) Draw an oval to suggest hip placement/width and finish off legs from there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:14:42 PM by saihawkeye »
I'm back~~~

Offline Citae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but how exactly does the workshop function? I read what I could but I still did not understand, so if anyone would be so kind to clarify, I would appreciate it.

Let me see if I can get it right:

So, there is a workshop on drawing evil characters. I come up with an idea and draw an evil character in whatever way I want right? As it is said in here that our skill level doesnt matter and the point of the workshop is to improve.

:D

Offline Tzefa

• Spero Meliora
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
Yeah that pretty much sums it up, some workshops ask for differnt things as well like recreating the image given

Rarely sighted apparent pixel artist

Offline Citae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »
Yeah that pretty much sums it up, some workshops ask for differnt things as well like recreating the image given

Okay, thanks. Now, is this like a weekly event, does it happen say like once or twice a week, or does it have a time limit? Or could we go into whatever workshop we want regardless of the days that have gone since it was created?

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
You can just do whatever workshops you like. Each one has a different idea behind it, but it's generally either "Draw this image again" or "create your own drawing." You can quickly browse through a few of the submitted images and see exactly what's going on. =)
I'm back~~~

Offline Robs_ugly_artwork

• Here one second, gone the next... *poof* Ninja vanish
  • Planting the Seeds of Destruction...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »
Okay, thanks. Now, is this like a weekly event, does it happen say like once or twice a week, or does it have a time limit? Or could we go into whatever workshop we want regardless of the days that have gone since it was created?

Answers:

1) It's not a weekly event.
2) It happens whenever a member, mod or admin comes up with an idea for workshop.
3) There is no time limit.

you can post up your sketches/drawings on any of our workshops here on MR.. it doesn't matter when the workshop has been created.. and yes, whether you are a pro. or an amateur it doesn't matter.. we are all here to learn and help each other.. but, more importantly we are all here to have fun. (remember that ;))

okay, enough chit-chat ..now get to work!!  :naughty: hahahaha!!!

hope this answers all your questions

-Rob

Judge a person NOT by their weakness.. but, by their strength.

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
Citae, There are different type of drawing workshop Take part which you thinks suites you.

There are simple Manga drawing workshops for starters to learn body anatomy and various other basics. In these Manga drawing workshops you only has to redraw the given image. Then we compare your drawing with the original image. So other members who take part in drawing workshop can point out errors and solutions for these as well as what you need to improve.

Also there are more advance Manga drawing workshop Challenges. Where you need to create your own version of given idea. Like the topic about aging famous Manga characters, Creating your evil person, Also the topic about  your own mythical creature etc.

These to for fun and also to understand what we can do and what we need to improve. There is no time limt to finish.

Offline sugarkid

• Less baww, more draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
I don't know if this is a good place to post this, but I've got an idea for the workshops.
How about we do like a prompt thread every two or three days? I saw stuff like this on another forum, and it was really good practice for everyone, making them draw stuff they wouldn't even think of.
I could come up with prompts every few days, and post a new thread, and get the gist of it started.
What do you guys say??

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
Sounds good. That at least has some more speed than another project we're working on, where two artists pretty much show their talents to each other in a 'fight'.
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
well thats essentially how the workshops started. so it's not a bad idea idea. but 2 or 3 days is too short of intervals. we dont have that many active members with a lot of time so chances are most people wouldnt be able to participate in most of them.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline sugarkid

• Less baww, more draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
How about weekly, or once every two weeks?
I mean workshops are way more general than prompts, just saying.
You can say "fearsome character" in a workshop, and people will draw what they're more comfortable drawing, and make it fearsome. But if you say "vampire" or "mummy" or "WW inspired character" or whatever people will see that the prompt is something fixed, and they will have to eventually get out of their comfort zone