March 29, 2024, 07:13:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: 19th Century Warefare Discussion  (Read 15316 times)

Offline Dr.Striker

• View Profile
Re: 19th Century Warefare Discussion
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »
It's today?

I remember seeing several boards near my house about it not long ago. They still mourn what happened, apparently it's still a very controversial topic in the armenian community.

Unfortunately I'm quite ignorant on that subject myself, I should study it more since I was curious about it really.

Offline swearzy

• Conspiracy Theorist.
  • I come with tin foil hats a many!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »
Today, its the 25th in my time zone. ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) day, the day we remember fallen soldiers in combat. And for the less sensitive and ignorant people an excuse to get extremely inebriated.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

The Ode comes from For the Fallen, a poem by the English poet and writer Laurence Binyon and was published in London in the Winnowing Fan, Poems of the Great War in 1914. Should be common knowledge for the Commonwealth.

Accompanied by the Last Call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Pz5KsyfN0

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2015, 01:00:10 AM »
If you've adamantly played the Total War Series, specifically Shogun 2, there's an expansion called Fall of the Samurai. It takes place during the Meiji Reformation and gives a lot of insight on how late 19th century tactics work as well as how technologically inferior warriors could stand up to a modernized army ( I particularly am well-versed in those types of strategies and tactics from my almost-obsessive play-style in multiplayer)  :angel:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline The Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »
Soon we'll also have the 100th anniversary of Gorlice-Tarnów Offensive... This year is full of cenentaries, but it'll be even more interesting in upcoming years.

I didn't read the book, but I do know Remarque was really "whiny" about the experience... But well, it was WW1, who can blame him. I still don't know why he then published that other one, A time to Love a Time to die, which also had a movie and it was much more Hollywood like, he seemed to find it all depressing but then kept making money out of it and publishing books.

You know, contrary to the popular belief, Remarque was a "civilian" writer first, not the true "front veteran" ;) Check out when and for how long he was in the trenches. I understand, that it shocked him greatly, but he didn't saw much of the war.

It takes place during the Meiji Reformation and gives a lot of insight on how late 19th century tactics work as well as how technologically inferior warriors could stand up to a modernized army ( I particularly am well-versed in those types of strategies and tactics from my almost-obsessive play-style in multiplayer)

Well, actually they didn't stand up against the modern army ;) As the history has showed us...

It is curious, though, how many did Japanese has taken from the German military traditions. In my photo collection, I've got a couple of photos, showing the Japanese cadets in Berlin. It was a common practice for Japanese officers - to take their learning lessons in Europe.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
It takes place during the Meiji Reformation and gives a lot of insight on how late 19th century tactics work as well as how technologically inferior warriors could stand up to a modernized army ( I particularly am well-versed in those types of strategies and tactics from my almost-obsessive play-style in multiplayer)

Well, actually they didn't stand up against the modern army ;) As the history has showed us...

Oh, I'm just saying that if you're interested in writing a possible scenario where swords beats guns, playing multiplayer could give you an idea of how such a tactic might be employed (Though I find everyone is quick to jump on the bandwagon of "guns always beats swords" because of how overpowered things like artillery or gatling guns are :unsure: ).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:56:40 AM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden