April 18, 2024, 10:55:01 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Chit Chat 2023  (Read 19406 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Chit Chat 2023
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2023, 03:24:51 PM »
gah so true. I remember an anecdote about someone can't remember who tho, they were interested in some sort of thing idk an insect or something and kept studying it up, and they read all the books in the library on it etc, and still wanted to know more, and a professor or someone said that there's a world class expert on the field and he could find out who it was. When he saw the name, it was his own XD he'd become world class expert without realizing it and still felt he didn't know enough.

thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep cracking on with it. Yeah I do tend to have unreasonable goals for myself although I always reason that they're technically possible, but probably need some smaller goals along the way as well.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »
As I've said before around here sometime, I do Aikido. There's a great story about the guy who created the art (who we normally refer to simply as O'Sensei).

Ikkyo is the first technique you learn in aikido. It's name literally means "first teaching". O'Sensei however practiced it every day of his life, believing he had never mastered the technique, despite being its creator.

I think that's something we can apply to any skill. There is no such thing as "mastery". We only get better with practice.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2023, 11:52:55 AM »
I think that's a super cool story.
Mastery definitely belongs on a sliding scale rather than just a tickbox. Especially in creative fields there are so many different areas that you can master without mastering others.

I'm definitely feeling better again I think I looked at good peoples' art a tad too much and started feeling worthless XD
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2023, 12:33:01 PM »
Says the guy who's good at art, lol.

Sliding scale, as you said, but remember everyone who you feel is better than you still sees all of their own flaws. Third party observers tend to look past them though.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline IndigoDoll90

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2023, 05:55:22 AM »
Artist do tend to be their own worst critic including me. Doesn't help that I still have some trauma and low self esteem due to being labeled ADHD and autistic. Really not sure what to do about that.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2023, 03:15:08 PM »
@Coryn ahahaha thanks :D
Yup I can certainly say I'm quite self critical. Really you can't improve without being self critical so it's a double edged sword in that respect.

@Indigo the way I see it is that it doesn't matter what labels or diagnoses you get, it doesn't change who you are. Like you weren't a different person before and after being told you had ADHD. It might help explain certain personality traits but it doesn't make you any less of a person, the same as someone in a wheelchair can't walk but they're not half a person. If other people think otherwise then thats their problem.

heck I'm colourblind and I'm trying to be an artist even though I can't even see my own art properly.

Offline IndigoDoll90

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2023, 07:36:00 AM »
I still don't see how ADHD doesn't change who I am. Anyway I still would like to be an artist but seems doubts keep holding me back still. Doesn't help that though my Dr stopped saying I have Autism and ADHD he is now saying I have anxiety and depression. I really need to stop seeing him especially since with my new insurance I can't afford seeing him not to mention he keeps putting me down when my self esteem is low enough.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2024, 03:49:21 AM »
Huzzah! The site is back!  :dance:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2024, 11:10:01 AM »
Literally what the heck, the entire time to the day I was on holiday the site was not working, the moment I return it's back. The exact dates of my holiday. creepy.
but glad it's back to fight another day!!!

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2024, 04:03:30 PM »
I was worried the site had finally kicked the bucket after (checks time) 15+ years of operation and we had an impromptu shutdown. A month is a long time to be down and I was practically wondering where I'd move my posts to afterwards. There's no other site that quite captures the spark that mangaraiders has.  :D
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2024, 04:14:36 PM »
yeah I was like "is this finally it?"
wonder what caused such a long down period.
I've got most of my favourite pages saved locally like my art thread, as it's a huge part of my art journey I'd hate to lose that log.