March 29, 2024, 12:56:25 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Protagonist Gender?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
Re: Protagonist Gender?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »
Hmmm, that's why I like focusing on a core group of a few characters rather than one central. Plus it allows you to play out several storylines unique to them that then intertwine into the main plot.

Offline Ink on Fingers

• Don't just think about wanting to make something happen - make it happen.
  • Inky fingers - the sign of a true manga artist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »
Yeah, having a good balance of male and female characters in the main group helps with variety, as well as creating subplots unique to each character. Personally, I find myself writing mostly male protagonists, but I think that's just because I'm more accustomed to writing them. It's a habit I've gotta break. . .;)

I'll stop procrastinating soon! Probably. . .

Offline Xiyi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
I also think groups are a good way to portray aspects unique to both genders and create a bigger variety of subplots, since you can't just dump all possible drama on a single character. And while I think a lot of plots work well with a protagonist of either gender the choice will still have an effect.
Not so much with action-driven stories, but just for example a harem with a male lead has a complete different feel to it than one with a female lead.

Though the most important part in my opinion is that the gender fits with the chosen setting. Especially in a historical setting there are simply rules that shouldn't be broken. The most common example is probably the female warrior in a medievial, non-fantasy setting which is really hard to pull off believably.

Offline Greymore

• dreaming of a world of color...
  • grey is truly the brightest color.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
depends on the genre and the type of story youre telling, making a protagonist a curtain gender reflects different aspects on him or her, also it depends on the problem in your story. For example its more relatable to have a male character who is a pervert or is a bit "pervy", you could also use this to avoid stereotypes with the main characters.

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 09:08:54 PM »
Another old post I want to comment on... I'm going to do it anyway!

I prefer female protags, mostly because I am female and am sick of male protag's in general. Most of the people that want to work with me have male centered stories. You just kind of get bored seeing the same male protag's over and over again. Basically they are all "Kirito's" from SAO. With the massive harem included. (Blech)
It's a bit tough because I also like shonen stories and I don't think I've seen a female protag. Yes I know shonen means boy, but it's come to mean action/adventure when referred to as a genre. I'm also not overly fond of the brooding/standoffish hero's.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
I think you hit the nail on the head there though. Since Shonen's "Target Audience" is 11-17 year old boys, the Main hero is invariably, a 11-17 year old boy too. Guess it makes it easier to superimpose yourself onto the MC and see yourself in that role.

But I am certainly in agreement, I'm not a big fan of Vanilla Protagonists. Although I've never seen it, the Legend of Korra is a shonen with a female lead, so that might be worth checking out. 

Offline darlingGrim

• Deleted
  • Fight the moe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »
Spoiler
I tried to watch Legend of Korra in the begining, but I hated Mako off the bat and they really pushed the relationship on us. So I never finished the first season.
I know she ends up with Asami (which greatly increased my interest). The problem is I'm more of a manga reader than an anime watcher. I wish they could turn it into a manga. I'd read it~

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 01:40:55 AM »
Wow darlinggrim we are entirely two opposite people, I can't get myself to read enough manga.

Spoiler
And legend of Korra seriously messed up with all this relationship stuff and family drama, back in Avatar the Last Airbender it was gorgeous, mindless violence and war. I mean if they're going to do the romance, they could at least be good at it.

Personally I do like female protagonists. There's so much more variety in personality for female characters.

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 03:46:13 AM »
Well nowadays it is normal to have a character to have a neutral name (Japanese use the last names usually but there are some first names that are interchangeable) and look kind of in between the 2 genders and will have their gender revealed later, once revealed it will look obvious from that point on (Nisekoi...).  Some even have the main character change between the genders (Ore twintails Ni narimasu, Kampfer)

In terms of the main character it really does depend on the genre, love related animes tend to be the girl's point of view but i have seen exceptions. For battle mangas the major ones have guys leading it but still have some girls that are strong too (bleach, toriko, dbz, one piece, Naruto, Tokyo ghoul, etc)

Offline CptCog

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 12:09:42 AM »
Hmm, I'd say the biggest reason that male protagonists are used in shounen is mainly because of the target audience, just like the protagonist in a shoujo is usually a female. I don't know about anybody else, but when I was growing up, I had a very hard time getting into anything that had a female protagonist simply because I couldn't relate to one. Growing up I was a very narrow spectrum reader - a habit I've hopefully gotten over - and unfortunately I believe a lot of youth today are as well. There are obvious exceptions to this, such as Claymore. But at the same time in Claymore, I think it's more so because of the shounen-esque plot rather than the characters themselves which makes it a good story.

In addition to that, I think a lot of male mangakas make their protagonists male simply because it's a lot easier for them. I remember reading in an interview that masashi kishimoto could not make a convincing female character and had to get help from a friend in order to create Sakura. It's usually easier to create a character that's similar to you in which you can pour your own experiences into.

I would say gender is a lot less important in plot driven stories rather than character driven stories on the basis of relating with your audience. But then again, at the same time, there are character driven stories with female protagonists that I have had no trouble relating to. I read an amateur comic called "Gatekeepers" who had a very relatable protagonist and made the story interesting to read.

So I guess what I'm saying is gender doesn't matter as much as you'd think. What really matters is your characters, your plot, and what you do with them. A good manga will be popular. That is all there is to it (unless, of course, you don't get exposure, don't get into the right avenues, keep your comic small... but let's just ignore that).

Offline weissblanc

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 06:49:26 AM »
As for me,
it depends on what messages are we trying to deliver to our readers.

When we made a story, we have at least a message to be told right?
It could be a serious life motivation to simply a joke.

Therefore the main character, the one with the most important role of delivering the messages,
should be built considering its relations to the messages.

Whether it's going to be a "he" or a "she",
pick the one who matches our messages better.

Pixiv id: 7529860

Offline LifeBoy

• No Outline Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »
Actualy, right now in my story I have only one femaly character...  :noidea:
But anyway, she have one of the best backstories I have ever wrote!
“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”

Offline MrBallsack

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
I think it does matter. Mainly, IMO, due to the empathy and impact your story's protagonist will have. I think it is like taking a "story-path," maybe not so strict as it may sound.
I like to keep psychological differences between male and female. Mainly because I want the reader to feel comfortable with the protagonist and/or any character around.