March 29, 2024, 08:23:10 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What Do Artists Do All Day - Frank Quitely  (Read 1273 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
What Do Artists Do All Day - Frank Quitely
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AQRRtdKyQ

Not a wow video by any means but still interesting. Looking forward to

Holy crap he just mentioned Akira just now!

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: What Do Artists Do All Day - Frank Quitely
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Yeah, I saw this back when it aired originally.  I'm not hugely familiar with Quitely's work, but being a Glaswegian, I was interested to see the inside of Hope Street Studios.  Doesn't surprise me that he's a big fan of Akira either - you can really see the influence of Otomo's style on his work.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:47 PM »
You mean you live in the area and stuff?

I really enjoyed this interview, would be nice to see more like it. I like how he pointed out he was just one amongst many, and it looks like he's doing his own thing.

Are you familiar with his technique from sketch till inking?

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
Yeah, the Hope Street Studio is in the city centre - I live about ten minutes away on the train.  The impression I get is that it's a kind of collective association of artists and writers rather than a conventional company, but they're a relatively secretive bunch and it's not entirely obvious how it all works.  Their website has expired, so I presume they get work by word of mouth alone.

There's another documentary about them up on Vimeo here, but it's an amateur production, so it's a bit rambling, and the sound quality varies between poor and bloody awful. 

I'd seen Quitely working on his cintiq in another BBC doc on superhero comics at one point, but I didn't realise he was doing the layouts digitally, then drawing over everything with a pencil like that.  I can kind of understand why you'd do it that way, but I can't imagine that the difference in line is significant enough to make it worthwhile.

Edit:  Hah, actually found the other BBC one as well.  The style of it is a bit daft and there's no doubt that it overestimates the contribution of Scotland to modern superhero comics, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
I'll watch that second one then.

I really envy that, living in the city and close to centers of art like that. It's like that Russian artist from 6 More Vodka says (Mark something something) rural areas are boring as hell.