May 28, 2022, 09:32:50 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: My Drawings (Critique Very Welcome!)  (Read 3226 times)

Offline MissAtomicBomb

• View Profile
My Drawings (Critique Very Welcome!)
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
Hello all, this is my first post outside the Welcome Center. I would like to show you guys my drawings focusing on anatomy. I only recently started drawing a few weeks ago, so I don't know that much and sharing your insight with me would be a great help. I would like to improve on anatomy and bodies so I can start learning and drawing faces. So please, any critique or comments are very valued, and would help a lot! Thank you! ^^

I'll start with posting some rather recent drawings I did. I have plenty more that I can post, but I think I will start with these ^^

This is a ballerina that I have drawn most recently w/ reference

This is another ballerina, my oldest w/ reference. Didn't feel like drawing bewbs lol

Here is a fighting girl, I tried to do a more sturdy and strong pose compared to the ballerinas. W/ reference

Very sorry for the poor quality, I am unable to scan these with a printer >_<

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: My Drawings (Critique Very Welcome!)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
Hey there, so far it looks like you are doing a good job so far.

I haven't given a critique in over a couple of months. So let's dive in shall we? (I'll be talking left and rights from their own natural body and not the position on paper.)

1st drawing: I feel like it has a great base overall which could use some touch up. Her extended left arm seems pretty nice and elegant as for the right shoulder has a pretty drastic dip. To add on that same arm is a bit long compared to the other arm, but that just may be because of the shoulder issue. Overall pretty nice, just the arm bit is a lil whacky.

2nd drawing: The upper body seems fine, but working down her legs are a bit wonky. The left leg curves massively towards the bottom and the right knee is out of place. It looks like the right knee is on the side of the leg. More studies on the legs for sure by looking at that drawing, but for the oldest drawing you have it is good. (You also seem to do better normally in your other pictures anyways I'm just guessing it's because it was your earlier work)

3rd drawing: This one doesn't have any major flaws, but the left pant leg seems baggier than the right. Be sure to have symmetry in your human drawings. One leg is usually the same standard as the other. Otherwise it is a really nice drawing. (It kind of seems to be that you hid her left arm, it makes it seem a bit off, but the stance forces it this way. Be sure to not purposely hide parts that are harder to draw like hands or limbs because it sometimes throws the image off course. Again if it was that it couldn't be helped then it is fine. It's just my opinion anyway so take it softly.)

These are all stellar drawings be sure to keep practicing because I'm really liking your art style.

Offline MissAtomicBomb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
Hey there, so far it looks like you are doing a good job so far.

I haven't given a critique in over a couple of months. So let's dive in shall we? (I'll be talking left and rights from their own natural body and not the position on paper.)

1st drawing: I feel like it has a great base overall which could use some touch up. Her extended left arm seems pretty nice and elegant as for the right shoulder has a pretty drastic dip. To add on that same arm is a bit long compared to the other arm, but that just may be because of the shoulder issue. Overall pretty nice, just the arm bit is a lil whacky.

2nd drawing: The upper body seems fine, but working down her legs are a bit wonky. The left leg curves massively towards the bottom and the right knee is out of place. It looks like the right knee is on the side of the leg. More studies on the legs for sure by looking at that drawing, but for the oldest drawing you have it is good. (You also seem to do better normally in your other pictures anyways I'm just guessing it's because it was your earlier work)

3rd drawing: This one doesn't have any major flaws, but the left pant leg seems baggier than the right. Be sure to have symmetry in your human drawings. One leg is usually the same standard as the other. Otherwise it is a really nice drawing. (It kind of seems to be that you hid her left arm, it makes it seem a bit off, but the stance forces it this way. Be sure to not purposely hide parts that are harder to draw like hands or limbs because it sometimes throws the image off course. Again if it was that it couldn't be helped then it is fine. It's just my opinion anyway so take it softly.)

These are all stellar drawings be sure to keep practicing because I'm really liking your art style.

Thank you so much for reply, I really appreciate it! I have since fixed the flaws; I'm surprised there weren't more lol! Really glad you like them (:

Here is one I just did today, my first complete female face. It is very referenced lol. I thought about putting a flower or something in the hair but I don't want to mess it up...I already know the eye is a little bit high, but I didn't want to have to erase and leave a big gray mark....

Offline Rojas

• Hello everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
It looks pretty amazing you are really detailed in your drawing ^-^. No issues with this one besides the eyes are a bit high up which you've already stated :p. Good work, keep it up!

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
I don't like to go against what has already been said, but I'm afraid Rojas is wrong. While a good photo in its own right, with details aplenty and a unique beauty to it, there is something wrong here. The proportions of the face.

To begin, always draw light when you lay out proportions and the like. You can nip quite a few problems in the bud very early that way, and when you erase these lines, they won't leave any impressions or grey spots.

Now, in things like anime, manga, and the like, everything stems from reality in one way or another. If it didn't, things would look very odd or foreign to us beyond means of keeping our interest. As you improve in technical skill, you'll notice this to be more and more true; almost irritatingly so.

It is always best to begin early to tackle technical issues and begin studies, I say. With this in mind...

Begin to learn facial proportions.

I will use this picture pulled from Google that looks oddly like Johan from Monster to help illustrate. It's a little small, but bear with me.

The facial proportions of the human face are as follows:

The face can be divided in half, from the top of the head to bottom of the chin, with the eyes as the midpoint. Looking directly on, the width of the face is about five eye-lengths wide. The distance between the two eyes is one eye-length (remember to draw light when mapping this stuff out).

Furthermore, the facial features of the head can be divided into thirds, from the top of the FOREHEAD (not the top of the head, mind you) to the bottom of the chin. The first third is from the top of the forehead to the bottom of the brow (eyebrows). The second third is from the bottom of the brow to the bottom of the nose. The final third is from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin.

The mouth can be found using the final third. Dividing the final third of the face into thirds again, the first third indicates where the mouth line is, and the last two being the rest of the chin.

The details of everything else, from the eye shape and contour, how big or how small the lower lip is, the shape of the nose, etc. is all up to you as an artist.

You'll find that well-rendered abstractions (manga, anime, cartoons, etc.) follow these rules rather well, even with their distortions (huge eyes, a tiny dot for a nose, small mouth, etc.).

Keep working at it! You've got a unique style, and I do hope to see more from you in the near future.  :biggrin:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline puellamagi123

• I LOVE ANIME AND MANGA! AND DOODLING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:42:33 PM »
no offense, but the fighting girls shikudachi (low / strattle stance) is a little wobbly. not too sturdy. but you're doing ur best and having fun? if u r then I think that's what is important!

Offline WorldBeyondFantasy

• More adrenaline for the dashing youth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
My my!
Your drawings are definitely something!, why are you even in the Starter Gallery ^^?
I can totally see your talent and your style, i like it! Please keep on updating your topic, I'm sure you can carve a future for your artistic self if you keep on drawing ^^!

Offline SilentSnowFalling

• Kawaii Kitty
  • I am a self-proclaimed Grammar Nazi. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »
Wowza! These are amazing!! You really have some talent!! I love these! :biggrin: :clapping:
{~*Dreamer*~}