April 16, 2024, 12:07:26 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Araminta  (Read 30143 times)

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
Araminta
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »
I hope to one day draw graphic novels for a living, and have recently started working on one of my ideas for a series. I realise it has its faults and imperfections here and there(mainly size and consistency, and buildings).But, I think for a first try, its not so bad, and I did honestly try my hardest. I hope that I can improve my artwork the more I draw. Im about halfway through the first issue.

Araminta is a short series about a young man named Cassian who is a traveling musician. He has a simple life traveling from place to place, street performing for a living. A perfectly ordinary life. But all this changes when he comes across and odd little girl in an apple tree one night.

Hope its enjoyed.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:31:51 AM by stardust121 »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Araminta
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:47:01 AM »
That's one strange character. I like what you're doing with this, sure like the cleanliness of it all. Not used to the style but it communicates clearly enough. To be honest the biggest issue I had was with that house. The perspective made me dizzy!

I'm enjoying what I see so far, sure am interested to see what happens next.

He must be pretty talented though to at least have a roof over his house by the music alone. Hmm..  Nice work

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »
That's one strange character. I like what you're doing with this, sure like the cleanliness of it all. Not used to the style but it communicates clearly enough. To be honest the biggest issue I had was with that house. The perspective made me dizzy!

He must be pretty talented though to at least have a roof over his house by the music alone. Hmm..  Nice work

Im guessing you mean Araminta herself as strange?If so, great!!^^ I really wanted her to be an unusual, strange little girl, so Im so glad that came across well.

Hehehe. In this world, that's kinda there equivalent of a caravan. Perhaps they have much fancier, more expensive models and that's the most basic.

Thanks so very much for giving it a read Im glad you liked it.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »

Im guessing you mean Araminta herself as strange?If so, great!!^^ I really wanted her to be an unusual, strange little girl, so Im so glad that came across well.

Hehehe. In this world, that's kinda there equivalent of a caravan. Perhaps they have much fancier, more expensive models and that's the most basic.

Thanks so very much for giving it a read Im glad you liked it.

theres a lot of other strange things happening here that don't make a lot of sense. so by the time she's introduced, it seems as rushed as the rest.

The main character is really odd. you need to work on your characters and there proportions, their so small that its hard to appreciate any physical features that you're trying to share.

and of course your backgrounds are just disproportionate aswell. some areas are just too empty.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:00:58 AM »
Hmmm, an interesting read! I will bookmark this for a later review

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:58:21 PM »
I like the style, It set's it apart from other Manga around which I think is a good thing anyway. It's not my usual kind of Genre if I'm honest but I found it an interesting enough read.

Offline Adam Masterman

• I comic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »
This is a cool one; a bit out of my genre tastes, but still a well made comic.  I really like the character style; its distinctive and very emotive.  The eyes sometimes get a little weird, but mostly it works pretty well.  The first thing I would suggest is some work on the environments; the perspectives are off, as was mentioned, but they also feel very sterile.  When you use tone patterns, it fits very well, but the actual buildings, wall and stuff is so perfectly geometric and clean that its out of place.  Maybe even just using a more organic, broken line?  Maybe a bit more specific detail and texture?  Lots of ways to go, I just think it needs a little warmth to match your characters.

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »
This is a cool one; a bit out of my genre tastes, but still a well made comic.  I really like the character style; its distinctive and very emotive.  The eyes sometimes get a little weird, but mostly it works pretty well.  The first thing I would suggest is some work on the environments; the perspectives are off, as was mentioned, but they also feel very sterile.  When you use tone patterns, it fits very well, but the actual buildings, wall and stuff is so perfectly geometric and clean that its out of place.  Maybe even just using a more organic, broken line?  Maybe a bit more specific detail and texture?  Lots of ways to go, I just think it needs a little warmth to match your characters.

Cheers!! Im glad, as I think conveying emotions is very important. So its good to know Im able to do that with my drawings. Fair enough. Some of it does look a lil stiff, background wise. A lil too white and bland. Texture would be nice, tho Im not quite sure where to start. Perhaps, some certain screentones for things like ground, pavement, etc? Might add a bit more life to it than plain colour.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my stuff and offer some hints.

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
S'bout time this lil thing got updated ^^ Tho its only a small update, I hope its liked non the less, and comments are always appreciated. More to come, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Im determined to get it finished.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
So you're continuing it huh. Nice! Looks like she's giong to continously be a handful.  Always great to finish a project.

What do you use to add the shades?

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
So you're continuing it huh. Nice! Looks like she's giong to continously be a handful.  Always great to finish a project.

What do you use to add the shades?

Uh huh. Im determined to make it with my art, and, I do wanna do graphic novels for a living. Finishing this first little issue I reckon is a step in the right direction. So Im not giving up.

Oh yes she is XD I think shes slowly revealing herself to be more and more of a force of nature.

On the top panel Im assuming you mean? Where its sunrise? Or the colouring in general?  (Just to be clear, its easier if someone can just point out a certain part face to face than chatting over a computer screen)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:13:47 PM by stardust121 »

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
Another update! Feel like Ive gotten alot of work done on this particular subject.

I like the last page best of all, some very nice drawings, and the silohettes came out very nice aswell, and against this tone. Im SO using this again, its awesome.

I think Im about halfway through the first issue, and Ive been working on this most recently, so theres a few more pages in progress. Altogether, if Ive counted right, it should 37 pages long. And since alot of those are sketched or ready to ink, I hope to finish soon.

Feedback as ever is most appreciated. Enjoy!

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
I DID IT I DID IT!! The very first issue of Araminta is complete! ^^ BOO YAH!

It took alot of hard work, and there are times I felt I'd go crazy with the stress. But I did my best and saw this project through to the end. And I feel proud that I did that

I put alot of effort into this, and I hope to draw more adventures of Cassian and Araminta, and that people enjoy them.

Please leave reviews and feedback if ya can, I would really like to know whatcha think.

Catcha later everybody! ;3

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:17:38 PM by stardustpink »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
Kudos to you for being able to finish one :clapping:
The only complaint I have is similar to the others: perspective. I'm sure with time and a little study it'll become easier. My suggestion for that is to look at photographs of downtown cities and try to redraw them. It helps me to see how things work in real life so I can transfer it to my style later.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline AmanoMai

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 03:35:18 AM »
well, i have to say

this is amazing

this is the kind of story that i like to read  :clapping:

the girl is interesting, her name too, mysterious yet a beautiful name at the same time. I don't know if anyone has noticed but the way you make her wear those clothes. very thoughtful and spot on, probably stole them from somewhere not caring what they look like.

i'm not sure what plans do you have with this though, will there be twist and turn in their life as he travels to different places ? or will there be development as they becomes more than a street music troupe ?

or maybe keep it a simple slice of life like the first chapter?

last panel though... no wink pls, it's very unnatural
a tired, given up face would've been better