April 16, 2024, 04:26:25 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: MR War Arc: NO1SY  (Read 9575 times)

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
MR War Arc: NO1SY
« on: June 19, 2020, 05:52:18 AM »
ALL RIIIIIIGHT!

I’m actually super happy that my first writing project back is contributing to MR Canon, which will hopefully lead into some more collaborative writing later on.

I have been advised to collect all of my work relating to this more solo part of the story into one place, so here it is! There is more to come and I hope you all enjoy  :biggrin:

MR WAR ARC: NO1SY

PROLOGUE: WAYWARD
Wayward

A light wind swept the sand up against the walls of MR City, piling it into a yellow skirt. The walls still reached skyward, solid as ever, holding the dense city in its secure embrace. They were a comfort, like a warm hug, letting you know that your ideas, your creativity, your interests were safe and welcome. At least that is how the figure, looking out at the city from the top of a dune in the distance, used to feel.
      I got close this time... he thought to himself, in equal part nostalgic excitement, equal part wary anxiety. For as he gazed at his former home across the sand, those walls felt like cold hurdles now, the gates just portals to peek through into a city that looked like commitment.
      Once NO1SY had worn the appearance of a spritely young man with angular features, smooth skin and a healthy head of radiant orange hair that sat strikingly in a carefully curated mess. While working shifts for Pub-Tan he would dress in the get-up of a high-class service establishment, although he would never be seen without his headphones at least hung around his neck.
      However, over time, his image began to change: His features softened, his skin felt more coarse, his hair shortened and felt like dry straw, his beard grew long and disheveled, his shoulders became burdened with the weight of unseen responsibilities and lack of creativity, and his new clothes came across as hipster but trying too hard. Moreover, his headphones were now less a conduit for social engagement and instead an island of solitude whenever he wore them.
      By that time he had links to many sections of MangaRaiders; from Radio to Writer, Artist to Music, Review to Support. He had had plans, and had made promises, but one day when the sun rose in the sky above MangaRaiders, NO1SY was nowhere to be found.
      That was two years ago.

A growing wump Wump WUMP broke NO1SY from his reverie.
      The heavyset military chopper crested the dune behind him, flying so low that the gusts from its blades threatened to sweep NO1SY off of the dune-top. He steadied himself in a wide stance and shielded his face from the billowing sand with his arm. He watched the chopper zoom towards MR City, and then what little colour he had drained from his pasty skin.
      They came from everywhere: tanks burrowed from hidden tunnels in the ground followed by legions of marching footmen, choppers descended from the sky in every direction like a swarm of locusts, artillery turrets breached through the sand on rising platforms and turned their sights towards the city. NO1SY had never seen anything like it.
      In a panic he launched himself down the side of the dune towards the city. As he descended, he sunk below the peaks of the other dunes in front of him and his view was cut off. NO1SY broke into a run to start scrambling up the next sandy mound in his way. He could hear the rumble of explosions in the distance, the faint rattle of gunfire. Somewhere to his left a roar and then a sizzling hiss indicated that a missile had launched from one of the artillery platforms. He pushed on and on despite the burning in his legs, as the battle raged on ahead of him.
      He ran. And then he slowed. He walked. And then he came to a stop.

NO1SY stood looking up at the colossal walls looming before him and the buildings rising from within. He was closer to the city than he had gotten in years.
      Smoke billowed darkly from several locations across the skyline, while countless scores of troops rappelled from military helicopters that hovered like a dark cloud above the streets. Bolts of lightning and bursts of multicoloured lights flashed like a strobe from within, indicating that The Mods were in the thick of battle. On top of this, it was hard to explain, but it felt like The City was less... animated... somehow, like something important was now being lost.
      A part of NO1SY screamed to move forward. But instead he hesitated.
      I don’t think I’m ready for this... his chest felt heavy as he took an involuntary, wobbly step backwards. And suddenly, NO1SY once again found himself in the middle of a vast expanse of empty desert.
      “Sh*t.”

Check out the other MR War Arc Shorts here!

CHAPTER 1: COMPASS
Compass

“Sh*t.”
      It had been well over half a year and much was different, just not his choice of words...

NO1SY had changed though. While his features were still not as sharp, his jaw was more set. His beard was trimmed and well shaped. As was his hair, which had regained a little personality atop its short back and sides. Despite his muddy green eyes speaking of some new aged experience, as well as old burdens, it seemed that he had learned to stand a little taller with it.
      The digital sun was high in the sky, beating down oppressively the desert landscape. NO1SY was just barely not boiling alive in his slim-fit combat trousers, (blessedly) breathable, grey hooded sweater, and tall, lace-up combat boots. He was a city dweller, not meant for a life of wandering a sweltering wasteland as hot as Satan’s balls. While he was as comfortable in a mixologist’s apron as he was a scientists lab coat, these days he opted for a bomber jacket, which provided extra manoeuvrability and extra padding. Unfortunately, now was not the time for his bartender’s waistcoat and cufflinks either. With a handgun strapped to his right thigh, instead he was prepared for a battle.
      At least he still had his headphones.
      He wiped sweat from his brow and shifted his toes uncomfortably in his boots, trying to ignore the gritty feeling. Sand really does get everywhere...
      The wayward Raider stood atop a dune, reminiscent of before. And once again, finally, after months of searching and directionless wandering and stumbling over shifting sands, he had found his way back. MangaRaiders lay ahead of him. Its alloy walls rose out of the sands that stretched from horizon to horizon. A sight for sore eyes. But also a despairing sight.
      Between him and his destination still lay a smouldering expanse of desert that unquestionably remained Lost Chorus territory. The artillery turrets still stood sentinel in the sands like mechanical monoliths. Military convoys and soldier squadrons trundled back and forth between the city gates, desert camps and the underground desert facility network. They looked like busy ants from this distance, and ants were unfortunately effective as a collective.
      Once upon a time it would have been second nature for NO1SY to simply will himself to appear at the gates of the city, which would have been open and welcoming. Now, that method of traversal seemed to elude him, new guard posts at the gates notwithstanding. In fact, he had seemed near physically incapable of even getting this close to MangaRaiders before now. Every time he trekked through the desert he found himself falling foul of one of a multitude of obstacles that only served to sow the seeds of doubt within him. The moment that happened he would either find himself whisked away once more into the middle of nowhere, or driven to seeking solitude in one of his many other haunts elsewhere on The Net. YouTube was the domain he most often sought comfort in; whiling away the days in endless streams of digital gaming entertainment and now completely defunct political debates. But it was only ever a matter of time before his will resolved once more and he would resume his search. Over and over and over again NO1SY relived this cycle, each attempt never more successful than the last.
      NO1SY even made negative progress on one particularly nightmarish journey. On that occasion, the endless dunes had a potent monotonous effect on his faculties, and so he did not spot the crevasse in the ground until he was already falling into it. He tumbled through darkness for what was far too long for the crack to be a natural geographical phenomenon. At some point he thought he could see streams of something trickling through the nothingness. It was glitchy and hard to look at, like thousands of superimposed letters and numbers tumbling through the aether. Before he could wrap his head around the sight, NO1SY hit solid ground with a thud that knocked the wind out of his lungs. After gasping in enough air, which could only be described as "ripe", to regain his feet, he flicked on his torch to reveal a dingy room with a tiled floor. He could not say how long he spent trapped in that dark corner of The Net he had accidentally illuminated, but it had taken a very long, very cold shower to rid himself of the filth from the place he now dubbed "Oppai Hell". Who knew that so much of a good thing could be so awfully bad.
      Nevertheless, this latest excursion had begun as any other: summoning himself into the desert plains, picking a direction and heading straight. In truth, the lost Raider had really held out little hope by then. He just put his battered headphones on, hit play, and walked. Then his headphones began picking up a signal. It began as spikes of static and he tapped at his headphones to make sure that the sand hadn’t damaged them. Then the odd word came through here or there.  He took a step in one direction but then the static cut out and his music resumed. NO1SY stood still for a moment, then backed up. The static returned. He began to walk in a circle until he reached a point where words cut through again, then he followed this faint signal like a compass until the crackling gave way to more and more speech. The voice was so familiar.
      “Bzzzzzt -ear Listeners, bzzzt -rently 202 days into... spell of mild bzzt sunny weather bzzzt rather boring bzzzzzzzzzzzt Occupation... worse than the infestation of the mimes! bzzzzzzt -iterally underground, totally pretend, gambling... Screw you fickle sponsors!........ bzzzt Together we...... strong... work bzzzzzzt freedom of all... bzt -aiting for you bzzzzt will come and go, but they never truly leave.... bzzzzzzzt.... WE ARE RAIDER!.... bzzzzt I miss the break room cookies... bzzt -nd now for Carly Rae Jepson’s ‘Call me maybe’ as performed by an orchestra of coffee machines!”
      It was kind of annoying, but also kind of beautiful, and it was undeniably 3.0. NO1SY didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry, to fall to his knees or to punch the air. Instead, he just quickened the pace in whichever direction made the signal clearer. And so, now here he was catching his breath on the top of a hill of sand. MangaRaiders once again within his sight after so very long. He had truly missed it. And that’s why he felt nothing but wholehearted determination this time as he descended the dune and prepared to strike out across hostile territory.

Through Oppai Hell or high water, NO1SY would return home.

CHAPTER 2: DETOUR

CHAPTER 3: DRIFT

CHAPTER 4: LABYRINTH
(For an extra spooky atmosphere, listen to this while you read!)

CHAPTER 5: CASTLE

CHAPTER 6: VANTAGE

EPILOGUE: DISTRACTION

For a rundown of current MR Canon, check out Coryn’s Quick Guide here!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 06:59:06 PM by NO1SY »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: MR War Arc: NO1SY
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
Nice work Noisey! This is really shaping up to be something! Getting others into writing via War Arc was definitely the n my mind while putting it together. I just didn't think after all this time that it was actually going to work! Good on you for being the one!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 02:16:39 AM »

Just kiddin’  :biggrin:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YET ANOTHER RAIDER JOINS CANON WOOT

Ahem.

At least the headphones are there indeed haha. Badass outfit as always. I have several questions about Oppai hell but I'll just let it be.

Total Dark Souls vibe from No1seys' struggles to try to get back to the city. A noice noice chapter entry I say.

It's funny how a crisis inspires good writing haha

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »
Cheers for the praise Lego  :biggrin:  I’ve had good help getting to grips with it.

I have several questions about Oppai hell but I'll just let it be.

I thought that might catch your attention! Just wait until you see what I have planned for what method NO1SY tries to get in touch with Legomaestro! (Provided that makes it into the final edit... Still yet to be written...)

Anyways yeah, felt like I wanted to do something creative with all the extra free time since I’m using up my paid holiday, and Coryn so kindly put together his guide to the Canon, so bad-a-bing bad-a-boom - that’s me falling clumsily down the stairs into MR Canon and trying to play it cool as I slide in for the landing...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »
As is our way. Few such smooth landings exist when getting into a world that's been building for so long. Sometimes you just gotta get into a Wikipedia hole y'know?

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 08:06:54 PM »
And so it continues!

CHAPTER 2: DETOUR
Detour

Holy tan! What NO1SY wouldn’t have given for a pint as he snuck his way across the sands.
      The turret platforms wobbled in the heat shimmer ahead of him. The automated artillery launchers were still; a much different scene from the drum-roll of concussive kick-back he remembered as they fired away on the day of the invasion and cracked open the city dome. It seemed that Lost Chorus weren’t wise to him yet, but he wasn’t going to take any chances. He had no intentions of being popped in the head by a sniper on his approach.
      He snaked around the larger dunes so that he was never moving straight and out in the open for too long. He approached the field of artillery towers from the west, as indicated by the oppressive sun, which had yet to reach its zenith while silhouetting the city in the near distance. The platforms formed a diffuse ring around the entire walled city. As he drew closer to the turrets NO1SY could only snort. The pop-up platforms, which held terrifying weapons that wrought such destruction, were surrounded in holographic screens running adverts for the G-rated 4Kids licensed shows. There was irony here, somewhere...
      A happy-go-lucky Monkey D. Luffy grinned down at him as he crept forward, cheering for him to join the Straw Hat Pirates for the 6179th re-run of the 104 licensed episodes. But... that ends in the middle of the Alabasta Arc!? Thought NO1SY, confused. On a platform further to the right, a hologram ad ran for “Yu-Gi-Oh! GGGXVZ: School’s Out: Zernos 21: Cards of the Heart”, and further in he thought he could make out the disproportionately large, bug-like head of a Kamen Rider toddler on a trike. He was just arriving and this place was already making his skin crawl. Who knows what they had managed to do to the city.
      Upon reaching the hydraulic tower, hidden as it was behind a veil of bright cartoon colour, NO1SY peered around to the other side to assess his options. He guessed that he was about two kilometres out from MR City; close enough that it rose colossal up out of the desert sands ahead, providing a silvery backdrop for his dilemma. Nothing seemed particularly promising. The sand was flattened substantially here, providing little opportunity for cover between the turrets, which were spaced just too far apart to be of much use themselves. On top of this, several convoys of soldiers and vehicles stalked across the sands. They could have been transporting supplies, or training, or patrolling, or a myriad of other military operations. What NO1SY was certain of however, was that there would be no sneaking past them. Not without being shot to shreds.
      Frustrated, he pushed off from his platform and began wheeling around the periphery a bit more, making use of what dunes he could. A thick sheen of sweat lathered his forehead and stung his eyes, and so he nearly didn’t notice that he had begun walking on what was more akin to a dirt road. It was the rumble of a heavy-set engine ahead that alerted him enough to run for cover. Sprinting off the road, NO1SY made for the largest dune he could find and launched himself behind it. Panting like a dog, he crawled to the top of the sand pile to get a look. The vista was much the same from this vantage, save for one key detail. The road he was on trailed into a dip in the ground that led to a cavernous opening beneath the sand, which was framed by a high-tech, trapezoid doorway. From the dark passage within emerged a platoon of Lost Chorus soldiers in formation around an armoured vehicle with a mounted turret. NO1SY had found an entrance to the desert facility.
      Prone on the crest of the dune, NO1SY watched the squadron come up onto the road to begin their patrol. As the beastly vehicle revved, he could feel the sand around him quake and tremble. They were seriously packing. He counted at least three rocket launchers carried amongst the relatively small contingent, alongside the combat rifles and grenades and other implements of death. What are they expecting to face out here exactly!? There was an answer to that question that NO1SY wanted to hear, but he had learned to not hope for too much in these times.
      The convoy was directly ahead of him now, and that’s when he experienced the sickening, lurching feeling. The dune he was spying from had been loosened by vibrations from the armoured vehicle and he was beginning to slide forward. Before long he would be tumbling forward on a dusty wake and landing right at the soldiers’ boots. Fighting against the panic, NO1SY quickly appraised the terrain either side of him and then, instead of allowing himself to be carried with the falling sand, he launched himself leftward into a sideways roll down the slope at a different angle. He spun and slid and bounced, flicking up puffs of sand into the desert breeze and into his mouth and eyes. Then he landed in the shrub he had been aiming for. He couldn’t see, but he knew because it was bare and spiny and bit into him uncomfortably. It was also shielded from the road by a low sandbank. NO1SY lay there still, fighting against the urge to untangle himself from the itchy clutches of the shrub, or to wash out the sand that caked his tongue and burned his eyes. He just listened.
      He could hear the steady gurgle of the engine, and the whirring of the swivelling turret. They’ve stopped! NO1SY worried, confirmed by the faint crunch of a couple of pairs of boots as they left the dirt road towards him. He held his breath. He could no longer hear the footfalls as the soldiers left the road for the desert sands. His chest burned for air and he itched all over something fierce. But he dared not move nor make a sound as he waited for a gun barrel to poke against his skull.
      “Storm’s picking up.” Came the modulated voice from one of the soldier’s helmets, not more than ten feet away on the other side of the sandbank. Literally one more step up the bank and a quick glance down and NO1SY was done for. He was beginning to get a headache.
      “Let’s get moving again so that we can be sitting cozy in the barracks when it hits.” Came an equally robotic sounding response. NO1SY held on until the footsteps resumed on the road and the engine roared and began moving along once more. Then he rolled to his side, tearing himself painfully out of the shrub, and vomited out a concoction of bile, saliva and sand. Lots of sand. He coughed and heaved in air greedily, until he choked and vomited again. Clawing for his water canteen, he poured some on his face, and rubbed to clear his eyes.
      That sucked… he thought as he shuffled his way to sit up against the sandbank, still gasping. His body felt weak with relief. He craned his head around to peer over the bank and watch the convoy amble away down the road. As he blinked away the stars from his puffy eyes, his mood sank once more. For all he had just suffered he was still no better off than before.

Off in the distance, past the convoy, NO1SY’s gaze was drawn to something he found deeply unsettling. It was a sandstorm that swelled in twisting plumes of oranges and reds and browns. And something moved within. His breath caught in his throat and he quickly averted his eyes as if he had been caught staring at someone on the train, as if that would change the fact that it was here and it was headed this way. As he sat drained in the desert, a cruel chill ran down his spine. It’s coming! Thought NO1SY behind wide eyes, It’s… coming…? In that moment an idea crept into his mind. It was a crazy idea, verging on insane. He was beginning to like it more and more.

:biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:59:30 PM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 08:34:29 PM »
Let's keep this ball rolling!

CHAPTER 3: DRIFT
Drift

NO1SY spent the afternoon un-accosted amongst the dunes, cleaning a seemingly endless supply of sand from both his headphones and his handgun. It was still roasting as the sun slow-walked itself out across the sky, but the promise of something cooler was uplifting. He kept one eye on the approaching storm and another on the road. Unfortunately, the facility’s hefty mechanical door had slowly chomped shut to a siren’s bark while he had been chucking up his guts full of sand earlier. This made his infiltration a slight more risky. He knew, from his brief surveillance of Lost Chorus desert operations earlier in the day, that if one convoy began their patrol from this entrance, another convoy would end theirs here too. So to have the facility open its maw again, all he had to do was wait.
      Then would come the hard part.
      The wind was beginning to pick up and roll the sands around him. The sky was taking on a reddish hue. It would not be long now. NO1SY blew away the last few grains from his headphones, knowing full well the futility in this place, and hung them back on his neck. He found comfort in their embrace as he sat alone in the desert. With a long breath in, he shuffled around to a crouch in his spot within the drifts and kept a look out for an approaching convoy.

They were cutting it closer than he would have expected of a Lost Chorus unit. By the time the patrol came into view on the road, billowing gusts were whipping sand into NO1SY’s face and the looming storm had cast a long shadow over the region. He avoided looking at the tumbling wall of sand for too long; he would get an uneasy chill down his spine every time he gazed too deeply.
      The convoy appeared to feel the same, as several of the more heavily geared soldiers clung to the external roll-cage of the armoured truck as it hummed along the road, while the rest jogged briskly to keep up. The churning storm was only a couple of hundred feet away from lashing at their heels, and it was gaining. NO1SY ducked low as they passed by, although he guessed they weren’t paying much attention to their flanks considering the circumstances. They began to descend the ramp to the mechanical door, which opened with a metallic groan and the blare of a siren as they approached.
      Now or never… thought NO1SY with a curt sigh. He stood and walked to the road, pulling his headphones over his ears as he went. The noise of the world - the engine, the siren, the storm - was immediately muffled. In position, he quickly prepared himself by shifting his weight onto his leading leg, bending slightly at the knees and leaning a touch forward. He could feel the storm reaching for his back.
      “Two-hundred BPM,” he declared to himself quietly. Ready, he tapped his headphones once.
      Power Metal electrified him.
      In the blink of an eye, NO1SY bolted down the road and ramp, leaving a thin line of sand kicked up in his wake. The convoy had only made it roughly twenty paces into the facility tunnel by the time he blitzed below the door, which was only just beginning to close. “Gain up by three,” he tapped his headphones again.
      Metalcore boiled his blood.
      NO1SY braced himself as the bulky alloy door came down on him. He caught it with his hands and guided himself so that it landed across his shoulders, then he planted his feet and pushed back. He breathed sharply and sweat beaded quickly on his brow. It took everything he had to hold it up. Gears ground and metal twisted and whined as he strained to keep the jaws apart. It must have been rather pronounced, because two soldiers at the rear of the unit turned to identify the commotion. But they were too late.
      Before they could even raise their guns, the storm hit and NO1SY and the convoy were swept up by a violent torrent of sand.

NO1SY found himself spitting out sand for the second time in one day. Still sucks…
      When he had stopped tumbling, the only part of him that was fully above sand was his left forearm, in which he clutched his precious headphones. It had taken a good few minutes to dig himself out from his impromptu burial.
      Free now and standing, he had to do a double-take to believe what he was seeing.
      “What the…” For as far as he could see, until the tunnel took a bend to the left, the floor was completely covered in sand. It was as if the desert itself had moved in. The mechanical door sat only two-thirds closed (at about the level where NO1SY had held it) as it chewed limply into a solid six feet of sand. Looks like I’m not the only one choking on this stuff. Still, NO1SY couldn’t help but groan, he had hoped to leave the desert behind and get his feet on some nice solid ground. All he had wanted was for the sandstorm to obscure his entry into the facility. Surely that was all he had wanted…
      How did this much sand get in anyway? I was knocked out from under the door almost instantly! NO1SY puzzled. The thought made him squirm.
      He began to shuffle cautiously down the tunnel. Several of the long white light tubes that ran along the top corners of the passage had been smashed, casting sections into shadow. One light flickered in the distance.
      After roughly sixty feet NO1SY stood next to the protruding corner of the up-turned armoured vehicle, completely buried save for a small section of rear bumper and the back half of a large tyre. He gave the bumper a couple of tentative kicks and listened for a response. None came. The blood in the sand had been a bit of a give-away.
      The desert’s invasion continued on for quite a ways, the sand piled high for a good few hundred feet as the tunnel swung around its bend, until it eventually tapered out when the confines of the corridor opened up into a large room. NO1SY slid down the unsteady slope onto a blissfully solid floor. His boots still crunched atop a thin and endless gritty layer, which would make it harder to sneak around, but at this point he really didn’t care.
      The room was a hexagonal garage of sorts. The surviving lights were either inadequate for full illumination or erratically struggling to function at all. Still, NO1SY managed to squint through the awkward dimness and take stock of his location. Rows of armoured vehicles sat parked in bays along the right hand side of the space. The far left corner was a dedicated workshop space, with three hydraulic lifts benching vehicles in different states of repair and togetherness. The far right corner led to a darkened bay set back into the wall. A long barrel and wide treads poked out of the shadows, indicating the particular composite armour beast that slumbered within. To his immediate left, supply and ammo crates were stacked in piles or filed on giant shelving units. A meshed walkway lined the edges of the room overhead, and the stairways leading to it flanked either side of a large open doorway on the left hand wall, which fed deeper into the facility. To NO1SY, however, the most obvious feature of the room was the quiet.
      He crept forward, flinching at every crunch until the floor in the central portion of the room became a metal grate that the sand couldn’t find purchase on.
      A tiny sound and NO1SY had whipped himself around, gun immediately trained on the precise source. He forced himself to let go of the breath he was strangling in his lungs.
      “Piece of...” he grumbled at the parked forklift in front of a pile of crates. But then the sound happened again followed by a humming flicker of a light. Drip. NO1SY watched the ripple on the floor beneath the fork. It glistened crimson in the fleeting glow. “...crap…”
      It was everywhere, like someone had set off a paint-bomb that had plastered almost every inch of the room in a deep red. The metallic tang was hidden amongst a veritable hay-stack of armour and oil, and now it all crept viscously back to the centre of the room, filling the holes in the floor grate like a gross honeycomb.
      A scream pierced through the doorway, echoing around the room. Only, NO1SY felt like it emanated from right beside him at the same time. It made him shudder. Still, he forced himself to tip-toe through the goop to stand in front of the beckoning threshold. He rolled his eyes, dismayed at the darkness within.
      “So it’s one of those movies huh…”

:heart:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:00:51 PM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
Okey dokey! Another one down. This was a very explorative experience for me as I got to flex my Lovecraftian chops a bit and get a bit wacky with space and time! Hope you enjoy :)

CHAPTER 4: LABYRINTH
Labyrinth

The air was dry and unnaturally stale. NO1SY crept through the darkness as cautiously as he could physically manage, his hand poised beside his thigh to draw his gun in an instant. His heart raced while he kept his breaths slow and silent. They caught in his throat as he passed by the wide window frame of a security room on his right, vaguely lit by grey static buzzing across the face of a half-dozen screens. The oasis of light would have been enticing, if not for the state of the office. The thick glass window had been blown into the room in a torrent of shards, even though the door was open. A bloody handprint smeared down the right-hand wall. Although NO1SY knew it to be a new furnishing, the blood was sapless and flaking as if it had been sat for weeks. There were no bodies.
      He stood for a moment, gazing at the fuzz on the monitors. Something was drawing him in. Something’s… moving? He felt a wave of nausea wash over him, a prompt to tear himself away. The light of the static had etched itself into his retinas, and shapes still writhed there as NO1SY turned once more to face the dark.
      The shadows in the corners were still impenetrable voids, but NO1SY’s eyes were beginning to attune to the inky murkiness. The corridor was roughly ten foot wide and had been straight so far with no other features of note. The walls were made up of panels of the same dull, silvery alloy throughout the entire base, a distinct contrast to the colourful holo-displays surrounding the turret platforms above. Unsurprising, considering 4Kids’ sickeningly colourful veneer had always only been a shallow mask of creativity. Within thirty tenuous paces NO1SY found himself at a junction.
      His fingers twitched over his thigh-strapped firearm. There was movement around his legs. Standing at the centre of the crossroads, although the entire facility was arid, a knee-high mist swirled around him. NO1SY took a moment to drop to a knee, and he ran his hand through the out-of-place phenomenon. As he lifted it back out, tiny  grains trickled silkily from between his fingers and he felt a familiar, coarse grit as he rubbed it away with his thumb. It’s floating sand!? The granules were simply suspended in midair, bobbing around in defiance of gravity. He stood back up, sending the sand mist billowing around him. It was reminiscent of the desert shifts swept on by the chill winds at night.
      NO1SY had no clue of which direction to head from here. He didn’t have a keen internal compass at the best of times, and this was certainly not the best of times… So he did what he now knew to be best: he put one foot in front of the other and carried on forward, wading into the mist.

It was hard to tell how long he was walking through the corridors. Everything looked the same and it was so silent that he was beginning to imagine sounds: chimes like cascading glass, pipes like despairing moans, winds like whispers. It was times like this NO1SY liked to wrap his mind in music, to ward against such illusory noises in the quiet, but he was taking no chances with his vigilance here.
      After what seemed like forever, he arrived in an empty barracks. It was easily identifiable by the countless bunk beds arranged into neat little cubicles of four, hidden behind curtains made from a thick, prickly fabric. A steady warm glow emanated from a cubicle seven or eight bays down on his right. Once again, not a soul to be found. Still, he drew his handgun from its holster and steadily snuck closer to the source of light. The cubicle’s curtain was half drawn. He swiped it aside and aimed in the position of each bed in one swift “Z”-shaped motion. Clear, he reassured himself. In place of a fourth bunk, a desk had been squeezed into the corner of the alcove. A wall lamp bathed the tabletop in bright orange, spotlighting an open book. NO1SY peered down at the pages, which were filled with a scratchy scrawl, only barely legible. It was a journal. The pen had rolled to the floor.

November 9th X010.

The dreams are coming more frequently now. Sometimes even when I am awake. I think I’m awake. It’s not just me, I can tell. Every person in my unit who was there when the desert appeared has that look behind their eyes. We fear sleep.
      I dream of hollowness. Like how I would imagine it to feel if my soul were to be ripped from my body. Then comes pain. Like the stinging in your eyes when you are dragged from a dark place into bright and burning light. And then I lose my sense of self when my body bursts into a raging torrent. I am antimatter reacting with matter. I am the background occupying the foreground. I am out of space, out of time. I am out of time.
      Was our goal really so righteous? Did it necessitate this? Did it justify this? We went searching in places where answers only beget more questions, and where both answers and questions are equally unknowable. Unattainable. Untamable. The age of those who truly understood is long, long gone. Did we think we were special?
      We are but children playing God in a sand pit, but just beneath the sand lie creations and machinations that would bite off more than just the prying hand. No, they won’t stop until they eviscerate us entirely.
      My sense fails me. It grips me even in my waking moments now. I feel myself slipping away again. Please no. I don’t want to be that thing again. Please. Please. PLEASE. I WILL NOT BE THAT THAT THING AGAIN. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLE

The writing just stopped. Scratchy and manic as it had become by the end, there was no mess to indicate a struggle, nor a trailing line to suggest the author had drifted off. It just ended. NO1SY turned the pages this way and that, and on every page, was the same entry, written the exact same way.
      Something creaked slowly from the centre of the room and NO1SY had to bite down a scream. Heart in his throat, he readied his gun and hid as best he could behind the open curtain. He peeked around into the main atrium of the barracks.
      In the centre of the room, swaying slightly despite a lack of a breeze, the desiccated corpse of a man hanged by the neck. No clothes. No hair. Nails yellow and cracked. Skin grey and shrivelled and leathery. A look of abject horror immortalised on his sunken, eyeless face.
      “F*ck this.” NO1SY stated out loud, the most resolute he’d been all day. He bolted out of the barracks back the way he had come.
      But the junction never appeared. He ran and ran through a twisting and turning corridor, far too curved to be of 4Kids design. But he did not stop, and he definitely did not turn around. On and on he went as seconds turned to minutes. At a certain point he felt his insides turn, as if he were running up the walls or upside down on the ceiling. When the sensation reached his brain, he stumbled through an overwhelming flush of dizziness. But still he did not stop. As quick as it came, the feeling subsided.
      After who knows how long, and without warning, suddenly NO1SY was in a new room. He didn’t even remember passing a doorway. It was as if the room had just manifested around him. Or maybe he had been summoned. Either way, this room was different.
      It was dark. Oppressively so. Save for drippings of meek light that seemed to have clung to him when he arrived, the shadows engulfed all and they were unfathomable. It was impossible for NO1SY to tell the shape of the room, for the gloom had a fluid quality that his eyes could not follow. But, although he could not stare into the abyss, NO1SY was certain that something within stared at him. He didn’t quite know how he could tell, but he was sure. There was a distinct emptiness in the darkness, but the emptiness contrasted with reality to give it a weird mockery of a form. And it was gargantuan, far bigger than could ever fit into this 4Kids facility, let alone one room, yet it was here. Why was it here? What had 4Kids done to bring it here? Was it worth the reckoning?
      The darkness crept inwards as if sensing NO1SY’s questions, questions he didn’t know if he even wanted answers to. It destroyed the last vestiges of light on him as he found himself pulling his headphones up onto his ears, ineffectually and habitually seeking solace. I just wanted to go home… NO1SY thought as he was wholly consumed.

First there was a sense of completeness. In his mind’s eye, NO1SY saw himself in the MR Pub, merrily surrounded by his fellow Raiders. Beer was bubbling, and they were all chatting and laughing. It was a fond memory of his, although the voices were muffled and distant. NO1SY felt tangled and interwoven with something larger. Now he saw a young man, with oddly familiar features, sheltering in a cave in the desert with several others and a collection of surveying equipment as a sandstorm raged all around. NO1SY had not been there, but in this instant, he felt connected. What had that man heard right then?
      Suddenly, NO1SY was pulled through the mirror. Things were similar yet immediately unfamiliar. He felt like a husk. NO1SY could see another young man, zipping through a cycle day in day out. He would wake, work, sit at a computer, sit with his head in his hands, go to sleep. Over and over, trapped in an ever-turning hourglass. NO1SY had never seen this person before, but somehow he knew every sensation of monotony, exertion, effort and distress as he watched. In fact, watching became agony. He was disintegrating at the edges, his sense of self being flayed. He screamed voicelessly into the void. He felt tears welling but his eyes were so dry that they stung. All he could do was continue to watch.
      As the hourglass spun and spun NO1SY further into despair, little flashes began to catch his attention. The sequence changed. A push-up here, a phone call there. A new job. Drinks with friends. A puppy. With the next shift in the hourglass, NO1SY saw himself in the sand, striking out across the desert. Searching. Longing. Hoping.

NO1SY stood in front of an open facility door. A warm breeze tickled his cheeks. Light from the setting desert sun snuck in under the top and stung his eyes. Wha- Where…? Even through his disorientation, it was impossible for him to not see. At the top of the ramp the broken crown of MangaRaiders' wall peeked over the dirt - the tips of the city skyline poking through the crumbling gaps. It was close. He was past the turret field.
      He turned and looked back into the tunnel. He saw nothing of note. He heard nothing of note. He felt nothing. He let go of the breath he realised he was holding and pulled down his headphones. What had he expected to see in there anyway? With a mental shrug, NO1SY turned from the darkness and strode out towards his city.

For an extra spooky atmosphere, listen to this while you read!

:confused:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:02:30 PM by NO1SY »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 03:53:33 AM »
Rereading everything you've posted just to get up to speed a little. Reviewed all the chapters
Spoiler

1. “Sh*t.”
- Well that's one way to start a chapter

2.  NO1SY had changed though. While his features were still not as sharp, his jaw was more set. His beard was trimmed and well shaped. As was his hair, which had regained a little personality atop its short back and sides.
- I definitely need an update on N01SEY'S features. I didn't think he sported a beard

3. The digital sun was high in the sky, beating down oppressively the desert landscape.
- Like the idea of a pixelatted Minecraft-esque sun in the sky. Tis canon definitely needs more visuals

4.  NO1SY was just barely not boiling alive in his slim-fit combat trousers, (blessedly) breathable, grey hooded sweater, and tall, lace-up combat boots. He was a city dweller, not meant for a life of wandering a sweltering wasteland as hot as Satan’s balls.
- Stealing 'satans' balls' as a line for my own work from now on.

5. While he was as comfortable in a mixologist’s apron as he was a scientists lab coat, these days he opted for a bomber jacket, which provided extra manoeuvrability and extra padding.
- Bomber jackets are love. Bomber jackets are life. Also I didn't know mixologist was an actual word (let alone profession) till now haha.

6.   At least he still had his headphones.
- Always important.

7. Sand really does get everywhere...
- Bahahaha

8.    The wayward Raider stood atop a dune, reminiscent of before. And once again, finally, after months of searching and directionless wandering and stumbling over shifting sands, he had found his way back. MR City lay ahead of him. Its alloy walls rose out of the sands that stretched from horizon to horizon. A sight for sore eyes. But also a despairing sight.
   Between him and his destination still lay a smouldering expanse of desert that unquestionably remained Lost Chorus territory. The artillery turrets still stood sentinel in the sands like mechanical monoliths. Military convoys and soldier squadrons trundled back and forth between the city gates, desert camps and the underground desert facility network. They looked like busy ants from this distance, and ants were unfortunately effective as a collective.
- Dude your vocabulary is top shelf stuff. Props. Nice narrative voice too.

9.    NO1SY even made negative progress on one particularly nightmarish journey. On that occasion, the endless dunes had a potent monotonous effect on his faculties, and so he did not spot the crevasse in the ground until he was already falling into it. He tumbled through darkness for what was far too long for the crack to be a natural geographical phenomenon. At some point he thought he could see streams of something trickling through the nothingness. It was glitchy and hard to look at, like thousands of superimposed letters and numbers tumbling through the aether. Before he could wrap his head around the sight, NO1SY hit solid ground with a thud that knocked the wind out of his lungs. After gasping in enough air, which could only be described as ‘ripe’, to regain his feet, he flicked on his torch to reveal a dingy room with a tiled floor. He could not say how long he spent trapped in that dark corner of The Net he had accidentally illuminated, but it had taken a very long, very cold shower to rid himself of the filth from the place he now dubbed ‘Oppai Hell’. Who knew that so much of a good thing could be so awfully bad.
- I have several questions, but I think I know the answers so I'll let it be

10.  He took a step in one direction but then the static cut out and his music resumed.
- What music was he listening to? Curious

11. “Bzzzzzt -ear Listeners, bzzzt -rently 202 days into... spell of mild bzzt sunny weather bzzzt rather boring bzzzzzzzzzzzt Occupation... worse than the infestation of the mimes! bzzzzzzt -iterally underground, totally pretend, gambling... Screw you fickle sponsors!........ bzzzt Together we...... strong... work bzzzzzzt freedom of all... bzt -aiting for you bzzzzt will come and go, but they never truly leave.... bzzzzzzzt.... WE ARE RAIDER!.... bzzzzt I miss the break room cookies... bzzt -nd now for Carly Rae Jepson’s ‘Call me maybe’ as performed by an orchestra of coffee machines!”
- That's totally Coryn-bot haha

12.    Through Oppai Hell or high water, NO1SY would return home.
- Carry on, wayward son

13. The turret platforms wobbled in the heat shimmer ahead of him. The automated artillery launchers were still; a much different scene from the drum-roll of concussive kick-back he remembered as they fired away on the day of the invasion and cracked open the city dome.
- I know that the major reason the city fell was because of the inside job, but I'm curious as to how effective 4kids weaponry was actually in comparision to MRs' tech

14. It seemed that Lost Chorus weren’t wise to him yet, but he wasn’t going to take any chances. He had no intentions of being popped in the head by a sniper on his approach.
- Yeah that'd be distinctly uncomforteable

15. The pop-up platforms, which held terrifying weapons that wrought such destruction, were surrounded in holographic screens running adverts for the G-rated 4Kids licensed shows. There was irony here, somewhere...
- XD

16. Frustrated, he pushed off from his platform and began wheeling around the periphery a bit more, making use of what dunes he could. A thick sheen of sweat lathered his forehead and stung his eyes, and so he nearly didn’t notice that he had begun walking on what was more akin to a dirt road. It was the rumble of a heavy-set engine ahead that alerted him enough to run for cover. Sprinting off the road, NO1SY made for the largest dune he could find and launched himself behind it. Panting like a dog, he crawled to the top of the sand pile to get a look. The vista was much the same from this vantage, save for one key detail. The road he was on trailed into a dip in the ground that led to a cavernous opening beneath the sand, which was framed by a high-tech, trapezoid doorway. From the dark passage within emerged a platoon of Lost Chorus soldiers in formation around an armoured vehicle with a mounted turret. NO1SY had found an entrance to the desert facility.
- Descriptions are again, on point. Wish I could make my stories feel this real and physical. props. 'Trapezoid dooryway' alone is a nice line haha

17.   “Let’s get moving again so that we can be sitting cozy in the barracks when it hits.” Came an equally robotic sounding response. NO1SY held on until the footsteps resumed on the road and the engine roared and began moving along once more. Then he rolled to his side, tearing himself painfully out of the shrub, and vomited out a concoction of bile, saliva and sand. Lots of sand. He coughed and heaved in air greedily, until he choked and vomited again.
- Urgh

18. His breath caught in his throat and he quickly averted his eyes as if he had been caught staring at someone on the train, as if that would change the fact that it was here and it was headed this way. As he sat drained in the desert, a cruel chill ran down his spine. It’s coming! Thought NO1SY behind wide eyes, It’s… coming…? In that moment an idea crept into his mind. It was a crazy idea, verging on insane. He was beginning to like it more and more.
- Dun dun duuuuuuuuuun

19.  They were cutting it closer than he would have expected of a Lost Chorus unit. By the time the patrol came into view on the road, billowing gusts were whipping sand into NO1SY’s face and the looming storm had cast a long shadow over the region.
- I can't imagine The Lost Chorus is having fun in this climate.

20. “Two-hundred BPM,” he declared to himself quietly. Ready, he tapped his headphones once.
   Power Metal electrified him.
- That's a cool power activation scene.

21.    NO1SY found himself spitting out sand for the second time in one day. Still sucks…
- Hmm tasty

22.    “Piece of...” he grumbled at the parked forklift in front of a pile of crates. But then the sound happened again followed by a humming flicker of a light. Drip. NO1SY watched the ripple on the floor beneath the fork. It glistened crimson in the fleeting glow. “...crap…”
   It was everywhere, like someone had set off a paint-bomb that had plastered almost every inch of the room in a deep red. The metallic tang was hidden amongst a veritable hay-stack of armour and oil, and now it all crept viscously back to the centre of the room, filling the holes in the floor grate like a gross honeycomb.
   A scream pierced through the doorway, echoing around the room. Only, NO1SY felt like it emanated from right beside him at the same time. It made him shudder. Still, he forced himself to tip-toe through the goop to stand in front of the beckoning threshold. He rolled his eyes, dismayed at the darkness within.
   “So it’s one of those movies huh…”

- Okay, not fish at all. What's the goop?

23.  It’s floating sand!? The granules were simply suspended in midair, bobbing around in defiance of gravity. He stood back up, sending the sand mist billowing around him. It was reminiscent of the desert shifts swept on by the chill winds at night.
- Huh. Weird.

24. My sense fails me. It grips me even in my waking moments now. I feel myself slipping away again. Please no. I don’t want to be that thing again. Please. Please. PLEASE. I WILL NOT BE THAT THAT THING AGAIN. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLE”
- Not scary at all

25. In the centre of the room, swaying slightly despite a lack of a breeze, the desiccated corpse of a man hanged by the neck. No clothes. No hair. Nails yellow and cracked. Skin grey and shrivelled and leathery. A look of abject horror immortalised on his sunken, eyeless face.
- Nope nope nope.

26.   “F*ck this.” NO1SY stated out loud, the most resolute he’d been all day. He bolted out of the barracks back the way he had come.
- This is how to survive a horror movie ladies and gents

As the hourglass spun and spun NO1SY further into despair, little flashes began to catch his attention. The sequence changed. A push-up here, a phone call there. A new job. Drinks with friends. A puppy. With the next shift in the hourglass, NO1SY saw himself in the sand, striking out across the desert. Searching. Longing. Hoping.
- That got trippy

28. He turned and looked back into the tunnel. He saw nothing of note. He heard nothing of note. He felt nothing. He let go of the breath he realised he was holding and pulled down his headphones. What had he expected to see in there anyway? With a mental shrug, NO1SY turned from the darkness and strode out towards his city.
- Did he get amnesia or something? Weird.
- I wonder how he'll get into the city without setting off a bajillion alarms, but he seems resourceful enough. I'm eagre to see his combat abilities in action, I haven't really seen how N01SEY operates. Pretty cool chapters by you dude. Love how descriptive your language is and you really sold the atmosphere from N01SEYs' thoughts to how the desert feels and looks like. Props man

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »
Cheers for the comments my man :biggrin:

Some responses:

2. The idea was for NO1SY to start looking more and more like the real-life me over his time in MR before he disappeared - to kinda indicate the pressures of the real world that can often push away the fantasy - until he reached a point where he was almost a characature of that reality (super tired and disheveled and conflicted about his identity). But now he has embraced that reality somewhat and reached a new middleground in his exile. I don't know how well I conveyed this, but essentially NO1SY now looks a lot more like the real-life me (maybe a little more anime sleak).

4. I was rather proud of that one :angel:

8. Thank you for the kind praise. I keep Thesaurus. com open at all times, and try to make sure I'm not repeating words too often. I have been trying to make my writing more concise and punchy, so I've been trying to cut down on going overboard with adjectives, but otherwise I still like to use interesting vocabulary. The "narrative voice" I would say comes from the 3rd Person Limited perspective (very popular in general fantasy writing at the moment), which basically allows me to narrate things with NO1SY's voice and interpretations, even if we are looking over his shoulder rather than through his eyes as we would in 1st Person. I find I prefer writing action in 3rd Person Limited over 1st Person though.

9. ;)

10. Probably Katatonia - "Decima". I dunno, currently 33,755 songs to choose from...

13. I didn't focus on this too much. My understanding is that Lost Chorus use standard modern weaponry with maybe a slight techy twist here and there. They were successful because of the internal disruption, surprise, and sheer force of numbers.

20. Coryn gave me very good advice, to paraphrase: any powers should be easy to understand and pick up by another Canon writer. I basically conceptually ignored this fantastic advice but aesthetically followed it... Basically, NO1SY is empowered by what he feels from the music he hears. So he is “electrified” by the fast power-metal, giving him speed, and gets fired-up from the metalcore, giving him strength. Prog might inspire him to be creative and unpredictable, whereas tech-metal may allow him to be more calculating. I want his powers to have a cost if he uses them too much though. For instance overuse of speed may lead to his muscles spamming, or overuse of strength may actually physically heat his body up to a point where he is boiling from the inside. He could get headaches, or suffer temporary deafness from others. This prevents going overboard with powers and will hopefully add some tension if he is forced to push himself.

22. Blood. Lots of blood. And some sprinkles of evicerated flesh... like 30 bodies that have gone through an industrial blender... (Fish!?)

28. I would say it's not something so concrete as amnesia. More like when you wake up from a dream, but immediately you cannot remember what the dream was about. He looks back expecting something, but there is nothing physically there and he can't even tell what it was he was expecting for some reason. He'll probably forever have a subconcious aversion to the desert facility now, but, until something truly jogs his memory, he won't really be able to say why other than a gut uneasiness.

I still have to work out how he will get into the city. At the moment it's a toss up between making it another ordeal, or making it surprisingly easy. And don't worry, once NO1SY is in, I have a scenario already outlined where you will get to see him in combat!

Once again, thank you for the kind words. I am very happy you enjoyed and I hope that I can continue to impress!

:heart:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:41:39 AM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Finally got this monster chapter done!

CHAPTER 5: CASTLE
Castle

He stood in the shade of the colossal wall. A mere arms length away. For two-and-a-half years he could have only dreamt of being this close to MangaRaiders again. He didn’t even look up; just stared straight at the surface. Tentatively he reached out a hand and placed it on the strange, alloy surface. It was perfectly smooth, and, despite the best efforts of the blazing desert sun, pleasantly temperate to the touch. NO1SY felt a pang of the familiar. A fleeting warmth of a caring embrace. A distant echo of jovial laughter. It reminded him what had been lost.
      Resolute to carve his way through the present instead of wallowing in the past, he surfed his way to the bottom of the skirt of sand that piled around the city. Then he turned back to appraise the, quite literally, gigantic hurdle in his path.
      The wall rose a skyward, so tall that it matched the height of the one-hundred story MR Tower at MangaRaiders’ centre. Usually, from this angle, it was impossible to tell where the alloy ended and the sky began. But the bastion was not looking its finest; cracked open like a giant egg and pock-marked from the artillery barrage that ravaged it. It seemed like the Lost Chorus had no intentions of repairing the damage. They had also fully dismantled the holo-dome drone network, making for easy aerial access and removing anything that obscured their display of conquest.
      He had found himself ejected from the underground at a point roughly half-way between two of MR City’s three grand gateways. To travel here by land vehicle from inside the city would take the best part of a day, so it was likely that security responses to this area were either coordinated from the facility or sent over the walls by air. Thankfully, no alarms had screamed as he had crept across the last stretch of sand earlier. No warning shots had been fired at his feet. The usual buzz of helicopters and drones was distinctly absent since the sandstorm rolled in. Perhaps the storm had affected 4Kids’ desert surveillance? An inexplicable shiver shot down NO1SY’s spine. Maybe the Lost Chorus simply had no interest in a lone, hideously sweaty, probably sunburnt, desert traveller.
      Dusk finally descended with the sun dipping over the horizon and lathering the sky in a wash of reds and oranges. It had still been over an hour’s cautious march to reach the wall, even though it had seemed right in his face when he had emerged back into the desert from the trapezoid doorway. Frankly, NO1SY was amazed that the regular military operations had not resumed by now. It was suspicious, but he decided to make an opportunity of this fleeting gap in the Lost Chorus’ aegis.
      And so he sat down and took a load off. Leaning back against the bank of sand, he pulled on his headphones.
      "Distortion down, drop gain to four, increase reverb slightly… maybe some woodwind… aaaaand shuffle." With a tap, NO1SY closed his eyes and unwound. Plucky, ambient guitars led into soft, folky melodies, followed by some smooth, jazzy fusions. The effervescent music swirled through him like a gentle breeze through a tranquil forest, and soon he began to float with it.
      With airy buoyancy, NO1SY rolled lightly to his feet, bobbing preemptively. Then he bounced upwards in a leisurely and fluid motion. The ground grew increasingly distant as a feeling of near weightlessness enveloped him and carried him higher and higher in the still desert air.  More and more of the wall passed in front of him, the silvery material shining brilliantly bronze in the last of the day’s light. This area was left mostly unmarred by the battle. He was drawing nearer to the surface to the point where a blurred reflection began to mimic him in the metallic sheen as he floated on by.
      After several minutes, and without warning, there was no more wall. NO1SY’s world exploded outwards into sheer vastness as the barrier fell away below. A sprawling metropolis spread out ahead of him, in the jagged jaws of the wall. Skyscrapers and buildings of all shapes and sizes emerged from the urban canopy but one tower in particular, right in the centre, defined the skyline. As the sun buried itself off in the distance, and the centre of the city responded by flickering into a veritable neon rainbow, NO1SY rolled into a lingering backwards flip, taking it all in. What a view…
      Unfortunately, what goes up must come down, and NO1SY spied a clear landing. With a tap of the headphones the bubbly music fizzled and he felt gravity beckon once more. His bomber jacket puffed out and billowed behind him as he descended. His landing would not have scored tens in a gymnastics competition, but at least he didn’t fall off of the wall… Now that he had his feet back on solid ground the vertigo that chased him up the entire distance finally caught up and swept his legs from under him. NO1SY sat until the spinning stopped and the tightness left his chest.
      The sun had set at his back, and the orientation of the gates and towers told him that he was still on the western side of the city perched over the Artists’ District, not far north from the border of the General District. He had a lot of ground yet to cover it seemed.
      Thin, red targeting lasers swept across the building tops from tall, evenly spaced watchtowers. Those are new additions… he mused. It appeared that the majority of the snipers’ focus was turned inward as opposed to out. The only action that he could see on the fortification was far off in the distance to his left. While the central area of MR City was well illuminated this night, the outer areas of the four quarters remained uncharacteristically dark. The only exceptions were the three main roads that led from the city centre highways all the way to each of the gates. Tonight, the North Gate, fed by the road that ran up the boundary between the Artists’ District and the Writers’ District, was especially lit up.
      NO1SY squinted hard to make out the commotion on the far-off road. It looked like a small army had been mobilized. Several armoured vehicles raced alongside five or six troop transports, and a tank even brought up the rear. Something out in the desert had clearly gotten the Lost Chorus riled up. Well, he wasn’t going to let such a generous distraction go to waste. With a tap of his headphones he hopped from the palisade and sunk slowly through a sea of urban air. Even without the holo-dome, which provided bespoke weather patterns previous to its destruction, the city still existed in its own “micro-”climate distinct from the desert. It was still and very slightly humid, as expected of a city, but it was gloriously cool.
      NO1SY submerged into the concrete trenches. He bounced lightly a couple of times before tapping his headphones off and planting his feet on solid ground. ‘Welcome back NO1SY…’ he said to himself. He took a large drag in of the night-time city air. The smell of old tarmac greeted him, but his nose scrunched at the following scents. Brick dust and burnt charcoal? His eyes quickly adjusted to the umbra. Usually darkness amplified the claustrophobic nature of these fringe back streets, but for some reason NO1SY just didn’t feel it.
      What he did feel was concern. Each and every building had been torn apart, gutted, burned, or some combination thereof. In the past this jumble of lanes would have been a trendy warren of eccentric exhibitions and artistic repositories. Quaint little markets would have sprung up in the streets. Now the area was well past derelict or desolate. It was verging on wasteland. He hadn’t been able to see from so far up above. Anger smouldered within him, calling him to action despite his body’s protests. He wanted a rest. He wanted a bed that wasn’t made of bloody sand. He wanted a damned stiff drink! NO1SY looked longingly to the south-east. The MR Pub was located in the inner strata of the General District. With a long sigh, NO1SY turned north-east and began his journey across the city’s northern hemisphere.

“Depressing” was a word that came to mind as NO1SY trudged through the piles of rubble and debris in the Artists’ District. He had decided to circle around through the outer city streets, which were narrow enough before the occupation and subsequent destruction, as he made his way towards the Writers’ District. While it had never been crowded out here, it felt eerie just how silent the place had become.
      NO1SY slipped from tight alley to empty, crumbling warehouse, to boarded-up home. The wall dammed against the moonlight, casting a shadowy cloak upon him. Even so, it was very difficult to avoid the snipers’ lasers as they traced across the jungle of concrete. If there was one thing that the Lost Chorus were good at it was keeping to rigid scheduling, so the windows NO1SY had to work with were extremely narrow. I’m not cut out for this kind of tension… he grumbled to himself internally as he smoothly dropped prone, face in the dust, and counted to eight for the red line to pass across a fallen wooden beam a mere two inches above his head. Progress was agonisingly slow and by the time he reached the North Road he was sweating buckets from nerves as opposed to exertion. His route brought him dangerously close to the North Gate, which was currently the most well illuminated area outside of the inner city. Luckily for him there were several underpasses beneath the wide stretch of tarmac that would allow him relatively safe passage without being exposed.
      NO1SY peeked from his hiding spot, in a small, gutted building made of plaster and wood. A broken wooden sign read: “Drawing Workshop: Naruto”. The newly installed gate checkpoint was heavily manned. Several footmen, milled around uneasily on the road, while two snipers scanned the sands with their scopes from a tower built into the right hand side of the arch. One person in an open tent was frantically playing with what looked like radio equipment, constantly hitting it or shouting into it. Whatever was going on in the desert to the north was stirring up quite the commotion.
      High up above, on top of the only spotlit patch of the wall, a lone figure stood motionless, observing what lay without. They were but a silhouette to NO1SY from this far away, but they struck an imposing and martial image all the same.
      Several distant rattles of gunfire and violent BOOMS erupted from outside the gateway. While all attention was drawn outwards, NO1SY tapped his headphones. A galloping double kick-drum fired through his nerves, and he bolted for the ramp to the underpass, practically diving down it. He tucked into a roll before striking the bottom, then landed hard on his hands and knees.
      "Who da ‘eck are yooouuuu Mr. Ninja?" a cracking voice slurred. A tired and bewildered and probably drunk face swayed in his general direction blankly. Scruffy blond hair, wide face, dirty blue hoodie… NO1SY had no clue who this was. But it was good to know that there was still some life left in this city. And booze! "I… need to pee…" Without warning, the young man turned to the wall, unzipped and sprayed dizzily away.
      At least it’s not Lego… NO1SY sighed as he worked through the spasms of his seizing muscles. He had pushed himself a bit too far today. When they eased, he stood and made his way for the far end of the tunnel.
NO1SY was five or so paces from the exit ramp. There was shouting above. He tensed and prepared for a fight. But it never came. Instead, an almighty rumbling shook the underpass. Mid-whizz, the guy was toppled onto his butt as the roar of a heavy engine moved overhead, presumably a tank. It was accompanied by a very unhealthy grinding. As that receded into the city, NO1SY heard something rather unexpected. In the midst of a riot of stomping boots, someone up above was sobbing uncontrollably. Someone else was giggling maniacally in fits and bursts. Someone dragged a leg limpy with a scrape tap, scrape tap.
      A couple of minutes later, when all had quieted once more, calm footfalls clicked down the road. NO1SY held his breath.
      "-ssion to retake the facility was unsuccessful, Sir," the raspy, yet voluminous voice cut through the still night, "The Spider’s Web remains lost to us. Casualties calculated at eighty-nine percent of deployed personnel and all deployed transport vehicles including the four armours. Sending the tank for repairs… Of course, Sir, the wounded will be transferred to the lab immediately. I do believe some very interesting data can be extracted. On another note, I suggest we consolidate…" The voice trailed away down the road. NO1SY allowed himself to breathe. He glanced back down the tunnel. The young man had fallen asleep where he had fallen. His junk was still out...

The sun was rising by the time NO1SY reached his destination at an unremarkable location in the north-east of the Writers’ District outskirts. He felt like (and probably looked like) a shambling zombie, barely able to drag one foot in front of the other anymore. Seeing the shed was the motivation he needed to make it that last hundred feet though. It was run down and neglected, blending perfectly in with the surrounding devastation, which is probably why it had survived the 4Kids’ occupation so far… Brick dust streamed down from the lip of the door as he opened it, revealing the very small and dusty interior. “Stories from Songs” was this workshop. It never took off… There was a small desk with two armchairs, and old sheets of paper and stationary strewn across it. That was about it. The switch for the hanging lightbulb didn’t work. Lines of youthful sunlight strafed across the dim room from cracks and holes in the wood. Home sweet home...
      NO1SY sank into one of the chairs as the door swung shut behind him. He was asleep before he could get his boots off.

:sleep:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:03:49 PM by NO1SY »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »
Glad to see it NO1SY! About how far off from the finish do you think you are?

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 06:07:06 PM »
Well thank you for the extra work help! :biggrin:

My current plans have me line up with Swift Team’s mission prep (Specifically when they are knocking down walls to find the caches) in the next chapter, but that involves roughly a 2 or 3 month time jump... so maybe I will find some stuff to fill the gap. Lego seemed interested in some collaborative writing, so maybe we can get up to some useless antics while Swift Team do all of the heavy lifting!

Any ideas are welcome though. I basically have a soft time limit of September 21st to get this solo project wrapped up. Then my PhD starts and it will be hard to focus so heavily on writing by myself for a while.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 06:55:22 AM »
Drinking sounds like a good idea for useless shenanigans (who was the blue hoodie dude btw hahaha Litt??)

Could you be persuaded to join the rag tag Sentai team? There's always something to do there.

As of now only Legoc is free to use. Legohs' story is done for now.

Top notch descrptions as always. Makes the city real feel solid and stuff. Also it's getting easier imagining your music powers because you reminded me of an anime with the awesome concept.... HAMATORA!

Damn I forgot about that anime. Was so hyped at the first episode but the colours and plot got to me in the end haha.