July 18, 2018, 10:22:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writing Process  (Read 446 times)

Offline B9F8

• thank you based doge 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
Writing Process
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
For those of you that are actually serious about writing, what is your ideal process? From conception to finished product, how would you describe your "pipeline"?

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Process
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »
I decide I want to write something, and then I gather my inspiration and try to come up with a very basic outline in terms of who's who, what they look like and stuff like that. I also try to give myself a foundation chapter to start from, like where exactly does my story open? Ideally i like the brainstorming to be intense, but with as little preparatory material as possible, i don't want to outline the whole plot, I want to feel it out when I write.

Next I get to putting out the words. Push the wordcount whether inspired or not until I've finished, just let the characters do their thing and let the story go on.

It's been a while since i've finished a novel, but I remember that after wrapping up the first draft I go through it with spellcheck, skim through it to remind myself what happened, and then let it sit for ages upon ages.

Finally I get to read it again, make as many corrections as I can, and then 'publish', which in my case is show it to friends family and anyone who is interested.

So far I've only completed two major stories, two novellas and three novels (five if you count the two nanowrimo novels) , and that's the general outline I've always followed.

I've learnt that the most important part is - writing. Developing a story and providing background info may seem fun and prudent, but more often than not you end up procrastinating out of putting in any work, and if you have too many restrictions there's no space for your characters to move.

It's very easy to discuss what happens in this chapter and that, but in the end you still don't have actual writing set out.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »
I usually plan some of it in my head, first, usually while watching a movie, listening to music, etc. I outline characters and a synopsis and any ideas I have already. I write a few false starts to get oriented on what I need to do. I keep a notebook of any ideas I get, at which I look back when I'm in a bind. Then I write whether I have it all planned out or not. I aim to write the full rough draft in one sitting, but it rarely happens. All along the way I ask myself questions. If I write something that doesn't seem right to me, I get to the bottom of it and fix it. I also write down any questions I have in my notebook. I write on and off the keyboard to get a clearer idea of the story and its themes. Finally, I read through and revise. Usually I write like this, perhaps not in the same order. Ideally, however, I would be able to have a good story all planned out with no problems and transcribe it from my head, but that doesn't really happen for me.

Offline IronQuill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:26:19 AM »
I get the idea, then it bugs me for a while, then i add stuff in my mind while doing other things, then when something strikes me about... a good plot in the story or attribute about the character, ill just write and write and write without editing my thoughts, when i finally stop writing ill go over it and look at some of the good points and start writing again focusing on those good points, then ill recycle the process again and again until i have strong plot points or characters.if i find a good story i will generally write a quick overview of what i want to happen ie, begging middle and ending, then i start to fill in the voids. yer thats about it

Offline reidheadza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:25 AM »

Most popular ones on the site. It allows me to meet and talk to many people who came to share the experience