June 17, 2019, 09:53:31 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: A little bit of help for all :)  (Read 453 times)

Offline Maihime

• Shadow~Dancer
  • #F0reverAl0ne...
    • View Profile
A little bit of help for all :)
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
 I've been looking for some good writing exercises to help me, because i'm struggling finding anything that I write that I actually like. It isn't the oncepts and ideas or style of what I am writing, but my actual writing,sentence structure,concord and vocabulary assssswell as creativity for in what ways to write it. Soooooo i've come across a few exercises,and thought I should share them and not keep the wonderfulness to myself :tongue: hehe
BUT
Before that,a little blurb on the awesomeness of writing exercises;
Writing exercises help open our minds and prod us to experiment, which in turn sharpens our skills as writers. The joy of writing exercisesare that you have no one to please and You aren't working on a deadline, you don't have to please an editor, and you're certainly not out to get paid.
 Some authors begin every writing session with a 15-minute writing exercise to get their creative juices flowing. I've even tried this myself and it really seemed to make a noticable difference in the way I write,however other authors resort to writing exercises only when the muse fails them - but the point is that regardless of how you do them, writing exercises will help you become a better author.

1. Record five minutes of a radio talk show
Or, if you can keep yourself from peeking at the screen, the audio from a television talk show. Replay the recording and write down the dialogue. Add narrative descriptions of the speakers and their actions as if you were writing a story. Try to use as much of the speaker's grammar and "speaking style" as possible. Dialogue might look like, "When ya gonna do this, hmm?". In other words, give it flavor by really showing who and what these speakers are all about in your mind.

2. Begin a diary.
 Not just any ordinary diary, though. No -this diary is going to be pure fiction. Start out by thinking of a character. This character might be a star in one of the stories you're currently writing, or they might just appear for this exercise. Once you have an idea of who your character is, purchase a diary or journal that is exactly what the character would want to write in. Then, spend about 10 minutes every day writing in the diary. You're writing about the character's life or their thoughts -"channel" your character and just flow with it.

3. Dig through your old short stories or find an old writing exercise. 
Scan it quickly to decide what viewpoint it's written in, what tense, and other stylistic elements. Now, re-write the piece. While you re-write it, flip everything. If you've written it in first person, re-write in in third person. If you've been writing in past tense, re-write it in present tense. Try and see how many things you can juggle changing all at once, but don't push yourself to the point that you stress out. Also, make sure that you do this exercise only with shorter works -if you start thinking about changing the tense of your latest book, for example, you're going to spend years re-writing instead of creating.

4. Sit down in a familiar place with your notebook and pen.
 Take a quick look around you, and then start to describe the place you're in. The trick is this: You cannot use one of your senses. For example, you can use your sense of smell, sound, touch, and taste -but not sight. You have 200 words in which to describe this place as clearly as if you did use the sense you're not using. After you've gotten used to doing this exercise, try performing it in a place that you're not familiar with. 5. Identify a very vivid memory that involves at least one other person. Really take a few minutes to remember what you can about this memory, writing down what details come to mind. Now, write this memory as a scene -not from your perspective, but from the point of view of another person involved in the memory. How do they see you? How does their experience of the memory differ from yours? This exercise will help you stretch your "voice" in writing by distancing you from your own perceptions..

I hope this helps someone, because it sure is helping me and I'd hate to be the only one battling :sure: ::)
#Imperfection is √óbeauty√ó        ~~~ Madness ~~~ is GENIUS!        And being absolutely RiDiCuLoUs is way >>>>>>> better than being boring...